New Roon user. This is not too bad

The Roon Server saga is long and complicated. I think the upshot is while some of those legacy early adopters can continue to put Roon on their servers, new applicants need to run a version of RoonOS that meets Roon’s minimum requirement. That might explain the Grimm situation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roon suggested a three months trial for one dollar last night as a Black Friday/Cyber Monday or some such, which I took. I'm now fooling about with it. I put it to work, shuffling my collection by gen

As far as I can tell, even if my speakers are not the last word in resolution, there's not issue with the auto gain. Will report after further listening, but so far, nothing bothers me. As to the

Roon is one of those things that once you've tried it, it's pretty bloody hard to go back to anything else. Luckily they're now allowing you to pay for the subscription monthly. I really wish I'd take

From Roon’s website there seem to be Roon ready, which I think means they perform MQA unfolds etc., and Roon tested which means they work well and have been tested by Roon.  The lists overlap, with the likes of Devialet, and I can’t see Innuos or Grimm in either list.  

Linn are amongst the tested group, where they are on record as objectIng to MQA, but work well with Roon according to the many posts about it on the Linn club here.  

I’d love to try it but my ancient MacBook is too out of date, and I scarcely use it these days. 

Edited by Nopiano

Roon Ready needs to be network connected, run Roon’s RAAT network protocol and be confirmed by Roon as meeting their specific use case. Linn can only be Roon tested because they are using their own protocol and not Roons.

Roon tested means they have normally had the device in house and have tested it to confirm it works OK with Roon. These tend to be USB connected and RAAT isn’t directly used. However Devaliet AIR, Linn streamers and first gen LS50 W’s can be network connected but don’t use RAAT.

I am currently trialing the Antipodes K50. I have asked how to set it up for best sound quality and have asked about Roon in that regard. I have been advised that Roon is unlikely to give me as good sound quality as with other player methods.

33 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

I am currently trialing the Antipodes K50. I have asked how to set it up for best sound quality and have asked about Roon in that regard. I have been advised that Roon is unlikely to give me as good sound quality as with other player methods.

Let me guess they are recommending something they sell....

"Having talked to a few dealers it seems that Roons current sound quality is a not so well kept secret."

Reminds me of the saying 

What players are they suggesting  and do any of them offer the spread of sources that roon covers. Most of the offerings I have seen use a laptop and software, plus apps from the streaming services, which is just a bit on the poor side.

1 hour ago, dudywoxer said:

What players are they suggesting  and do any of them offer the spread of sources that roon covers. Most of the offerings I have seen use a laptop and software, plus apps from the streaming services, which is just a bit on the poor side.

The main issue is the sound quality of Roon. For me and others that is sufficient to not use Roon no matter how convenient it is. 

A few options have been suggested by the dealer and I intend to work my way through those. None have anywhere the user interface or user experience of Roon.  

Then as far as I am concerned they can stay in the box

especially as I am not noticing any difference in sound quality between ripped flacs streamed internally and CD's being played. Obviously I do not have the same check with anything streamed from quboz.

Edited by dudywoxer
27 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

The main issue is the sound quality of Roon.

hmm, i kinda wonder if this is more about your setup than it is an actual intrinsic problem with roon itself.

I've been a big critic of roon in the past (especially on its price v features), but I struggle with spotting audibly how roon is worse than the OEM solutions in a Linn setup if I'm honest.

are the issues manufacturer and/or implementation specific?

Taking Roon out of the discussion for a moment

Just took a gander at the Antipodes K50 its a pretty spendy bit if kit.  At that sort of level I think for myself I would need to spend some serious time soul searching and evaluating what my ultimate end goals were and how best they might be achieved as there are no shortage of avenues to go down that could very rapidly empty ones wallet. 

It's interesting to ponder over how the noughts and ones are ultimately delivered. With cd being the medium with which pretty much all previous statement cost no object kit performances have been evaluated using.

Tech and streaming is all well and good but sometimes it makes me wonder if the fast dying practice of getting up off the couch and physically loading a cd in the transports cd tray is worth persevering with.

Edited by JamieMcC

It’s a £15k computer, ( in a smart box )which can be no better than a £300 NUC.

Keith

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JamieMcC said:

Tech and streaming is all well and good but sometimes it makes me wonder if the fast dying practice of getting up off the couch and physically loading a cd in the transports cd tray is worth persevering with.

You mean for exercise?

Probably more than  99% of what I stream I don’t have on cd!

Some of the new remasters are better than my cd versions, another reason not to play the cd.

Edited by StingRay
1 hour ago, PuritéAudio said:

It’s a £15k computer, ( in a smart box )which can be no better than a £300 NUC.

Keith

You know a NUC cannot output in multiple digital formats. I’m certainly not arguing in favour of £15k computers but to make a simplistic comparison between the Antipodes K50 and a NUC is a bit weird. And I say so as a very happy NUC user myself.