It Started With Isoacoustic Gaia’s and Quickly Got Out Of Hand

2 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

The Superspikes for speakers look interesting to replace Linn's original spikes, and skeets.

I looked at these as an alternative the standard four spikes in my floor standing ATCs.  Definitely more sophisticated than a plain spike.  The manufacturers agree they’re easier to manoeuvre on a hard floor than spikes with shoes.  However, I’ve got them on a thin rubber membrane - the type you buy to line cutlery drawers to prevent slipping - which gives a slightly lossy connection to the marble plinths beneath (retained from my previous speakers). 

Looking at the IsoAcoustics, most of their designs are directional in the way they resist movement in the plane of the speaker cone action, but are absorbing in other directions.  Hence the instructions to line them up with the logo front facing.  

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When is saw your post, Nopiano, I tried to find it but found this instead https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/isoacoustics-gaia-i-ii-and-iii-loudspeaker-isolation-feet It is a review o

My Gaia III’s arrived today and fitted to my Akudoriks this afternoon. First impressions are good. I always felt my suspended wooden floor added something unwanted to the overall sound in my room. I t

That's a pucking lot of new gear there Paul That Stage platform looks very familiar - like a latter day IsoPlat.  Eventually the subliminal message sank in...

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Oscar P. said:

Ordered 8 Mini Pucks...

1 hour ago, Rudi64 said:

Following modus on...:)

Looking forward to hearing about your experience when you install the pucks.

‘I have found that any Exaktboxes are a good place to start, then the DS/DSM/Hub.

‘I now have them under every piece of electronics for my HiFi system.   😊

22 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Looking forward to hearing about your experience when you install the pucks.

‘I have found that any Exaktboxes are a good place to start, then the DS/DSM/Hub.

‘I now have them under every piece of electronics for my HiFi system.   😊

I'm also wondering if there is a big diffence between the pucks and Orea...would it worthwhile to save the money and buy the Orea later or buy the pucks now.

Edited by Rudi64
41 minutes ago, Rudi64 said:

I'm also wondering if there is a big diffence between the pucks and Orea...would it worthwhile to save the money and buy the Orea later or buy the pucks now.

I have both a set of Oreas and many sets of ISO Pucks.

‘I have not done a direct comparison to hear if there are any differences, but have been told by Isoacoustic that there is. However, the Oreas are a lot more money, and I am happy to spend less and then it is more affordable to place them under several components for similar cost. 

‘All I can say is Wow. The combination of the Gaia’s, Oreas and ISO Pucks has been transformative, and incredible in my system.

• Like 1

Mini pucks arrived today and they are now under my ADSM and 4200. First impressions are more depth to the soundstage, sound seems more forward of the speakers. Bass seems more defined. They are definitely doing something good. All I need now is my dealer to deliver my Gaia III’s for my Akudoriks.

• Like 2
On 03/12/2020 at 16:38, Johannes said:

So @Paulssurround I have bought myself such things: https://www.thomann.de/gb/isoacoustics_iso_puck_mini_set.htm
Although I don't think it will get any better. If it doesn't get better, I'll send you a bill.

Hmmh the first impression last night was good, I actually can't believe it. But now I will wait and see how it sounds after a few days.
Today it still sounds good, which is noticeable that it sounds very soft and warm, which I like but is often a sign that something in the sound is too long.
Only a sign at first, not a must. Anyway, so far I am positively surprised and annoyed if the direction is confirmed. Because Linn should be able to do that at these prices.

So I'll wait until the weekend and then report back.

• Like 2

Hello all.  .  I don’t usually post in here, (more lurker than contributor) but I was active on the old Linn forum many eons ago. I’ve been following a lot of these threads for some time and had to chip in with my own findings.....I’ve been using isolation devices for years under speaker and digital gear  - using mainly a combination of HRS Nimbus feet, damping plates and Finite Elemente Cerapuc/Cerabase feet; even though HRS/Finite do things in completely different ways with regard to isolation, they work well in different combinations. Agreed what I use is an expensive solution but it does sound like the ISO devices do similar and are a much more affordable  solution. Isolation most definitely works - improving dynamics, removing digital noise/hash, delineating/revealing more accurate detail in the production mix

Couple of quick questions - are there any KDS owners using any isolation devices under their KDS or KDSM? and does anyone know if there is a recommended  torque setting for the base of the KDS bolts that fit the aluminium clamshell together?  As I think that joint is probably the most critical part of the KDS design in terms of support and tuning this streamer.  

Alan 

• Upvote 1
On 05/12/2020 at 11:35, Billz said:

Mini pucks arrived today and they are now under my ADSM and 4200. First impressions are more depth to the soundstage, sound seems more forward of the speakers. Bass seems more defined. They are definitely doing something good. All I need now is my dealer to deliver my Gaia III’s for my Akudoriks.

Congratulations on your new ISO puck minis. Glad you are enjoying them.

‘Looking forward to your impressions when the Gaia III’s arrive. They will take a day or so to settle in, but should be noticeable right out of the box.

3 hours ago, Johannes said:

Hmmh the first impression last night was good, I actually can't believe it. But now I will wait and see how it sounds after a few days.
Today it still sounds good, which is noticeable that it sounds very soft and warm, which I like but is often a sign that something in the sound is too long.
Only a sign at first, not a must. Anyway, so far I am positively surprised and annoyed if the direction is confirmed. Because Linn should be able to do that at these prices.

So I'll wait until the weekend and then report back.

Great news. It is always great to get positive reviews from an experienced dealer

47 minutes ago, Evo said:

Hello all.  .  I don’t usually post in here, (more lurker than contributor) but I was active on the old Linn forum many eons ago. I’ve been following a lot of these threads for some time and had to chip in with my own findings.....I’ve been using isolation devices for years under speaker and digital gear  - using mainly a combination of HRS Nimbus feet, damping plates and Finite Elemente Cerapuc/Cerabase feet; even though HRS/Finite do things in completely different ways with regard to isolation, they work well in different combinations. Agreed what I use is an expensive solution but it does sound like the ISO devices do similar and are a much more affordable  solution. Isolation most definitely works - improving dynamics, removing digital noise/hash, delineating/revealing more accurate detail in the production mix

Couple of quick questions - are there any KDS owners using any isolation devices under their KDS or KDSM? and does anyone know if there is a recommended  torque setting for the base of the KDS bolts that fit the aluminium clamshell together?  As I think that joint is probably the most critical part of the KDS design in terms of support and tuning this streamer.  

Alan 

Welcome to the Wam. I do remember you from the Linn Forum.

Great post

1 hour ago, Evo said:

Alan 

I have a Klimax Hub and am just starting with the IsoAcoustics. More about that at the weekend.

So far I have the minis under the Klimax feet, which can't be the real thing. Has anyone already done them directly or the housing and if so instead of the Klimax feet or next to them?

2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Congratulations on your new ISO puck minis. Glad you are enjoying them.

‘Looking forward to your impressions when the Gaia III’s arrive. They will take a day or so to settle in, but should be noticeable right out of the box.

My dealer is posting the Gaia’s out today. Unfortunately he is unable to get me the carpet spikes until January due to a stock shortage. Can anyone see a problem with fitting them and using them without the carpet spikes? It is a new carpet and I don’t want to cause any lasting damage. I can’t imagine it will, but I if it also affects the sound, I will wait until January before trying them.

Bill.

2 hours ago, Johannes said:

So far I have the minis under the Klimax feet, which can't be the real thing. Has anyone already done them directly or the housing and if so instead of the Klimax feet or next to them?

Well the HRS nimbus feet are supposed to placed underneath the device and supposedly work best not directly under the feet. The only problem with the shape of the Klimax case means using the central area between the feet, which does indeed make a difference. I’ve found three HRS make a difference, I’m sure the ISO pucks would do the same.

This ones weird, but please try it out......For Klimax users flip the Klimax over and have the Aluminium casing rest on the pucks - it takes the KDS performing at another level. I’ve had it in this guise for the last few days now 😳 - you will hear stuff, you never heard before.....

my own theory on this is that the pucks/iso device are directly under supporting the main electronics board as in a conventional electronics setup, where components sit mounted onto a base board.  As a result you bypass supporting the clamshell joint which I think is the Achilles heel of the KDS

1 hour ago, Billz said:

My dealer is posting the Gaia’s out today. Unfortunately he is unable to get me the carpet spikes until January due to a stock shortage. Can anyone see a problem with fitting them and using them without the carpet spikes? It is a new carpet and I don’t want to cause any lasting damage. I can’t imagine it will, but I if it also affects the sound, I will wait until January before trying them.

Bill.

The Gaia’s will not cause any damage, but placing them directly on the carpet will not give them their best, as it will rob the sound quality.

‘My friend who was the first person to own Gaia’s, that I was able to listen to, placed his speakers, with the Gaia’s attached on top of wooden butcher blocks. He has carpet on top of a concrete floor. In  that arrangement, sound quality was outstanding. He has ordered the carpet spikes but still waiting for them to arrive, as of last week when I spoke to him. 

An alternative is to purchase some marble coasters, to place under the Gaia’s, on top of the carpet. I purchased 9 marble tiles at a tile store, as part of a 12 X12 inch tile, with the marble attached. You can see in this picture where I cut the tiles off of the mesh backing, and created 9 marble coasters, I use them under my surround speakers feet

33 minutes ago, Evo said:

Well the HRS nimbus feet are supposed to placed underneath the device and supposedly work best not directly under the feet. The only problem with the shape of the Klimax case means using the central area between the feet, which does indeed make a difference. I’ve found three HRS make a difference, I’m sure the ISO pucks would do the same.

This ones weird, but please try it out......For Klimax users flip the Klimax over and have the Aluminium casing rest on the pucks - it takes the KDS performing at another level. I’ve had it in this guise for the last few days now 😳 - you will hear stuff, you never heard before.....

my own theory on this is that the pucks/iso device are directly under supporting the main electronics board as in a conventional electronics setup, where components sit mounted onto a base board.  As a result you bypass supporting the clamshell joint which I think is the Achilles heel of the KDS

One of my audio buddies also has his Klimax DSM upside down and claims better sound as well.  Worth a try.

BF8252EB-B367-4D3B-B01A-277D240FBFBC.jpeg

• Like 1