It Started With Isoacoustic Gaia’s and Quickly Got Out Of Hand

By the way, the bass is much more differentiated in Joan as a Policewomen (Get direct), you can hear much better what is being played.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When is saw your post, Nopiano, I tried to find it but found this instead https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/isoacoustics-gaia-i-ii-and-iii-loudspeaker-isolation-feet It is a review o

My Gaia III’s arrived today and fitted to my Akudoriks this afternoon. First impressions are good. I always felt my suspended wooden floor added something unwanted to the overall sound in my room. I t

That's a pucking lot of new gear there Paul That Stage platform looks very familiar - like a latter day IsoPlat.  Eventually the subliminal message sank in...

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Johannes said:

So I have been listening with the ISO Pucks Mini for almost a week now. My result after taking them out today is as follows. 1:

1. the pucks make a warm very charming soft sound.
- This often happens when the treble becomes a little less accurate. 2.
2. the stage tends to step forward.
3. there was something like a light cloak around certain notes.
4. one bobbed along.

After I took the pucks out something happened that I didn't want to believe.
1. without pucks it still sounded very good not quite warm. You could say it's a bit rougher in the treble but not uncomfortable.
2. the stage took a step back and the stage was produced with an incredible lightness in the spatial performance.
- Everything was there without me having to concentrate on anything.
3. the distracting cloak is gone and I look up again in amazement at some passages.
4. the rocking has now almost become dancing.

Regarding 1. I have to see if I can get rid of the very small amount of long treble in a different way. Most of the time it's because of the power supply.

I will test the pucks again under the upside down Klimax, then I can also test a few CAT cables.

The music plays again with an unbelievable lightness and the sounds just pearl out of the speakers.

did you change your SO profile when you put the pucks into the system?

47 minutes ago, Johannes said:

By the way, the bass is much more differentiated in Joan as a Policewomen (Get direct), you can hear much better what is being played.

Is this with or without the pucks?

1 minute ago, Phobic said:

did you change your SO profile when you put the pucks into the system?

No

Just now, Eldarboy said:

Is this with or without the pucks?

Without

26 minutes ago, Johannes said:

No

I'd try and change the SO config personally.

The way I see it in my mind, you had a good SO config then you made a change which "mechanically" made an improvement to your system, your SO config was based on something which wasn't operating in the same way, so your old SO config is now effectively over compensating.

this is just what I found when I put the Gaia IIs under my speakers, they made things much warmer. I had to redo my SO config to dial out that warmness, the new config sounded much much better, the benefits of the Gaia IIs could then come out without the over compensation - punchy bass, better separation, greater tunefulness.

the fact that you notice a difference suggests that there is something there, but the change is being masked somewhat by the old SO config

Edited by Phobic
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Johannes said:

So I have been listening with the ISO Pucks Mini for almost a week now. My result after taking them out today is as follows. 1:

4. one bobbed along.

1. without pucks it still sounded very good not quite warm. You could say it's a bit rougher in the treble but not uncomfortable.
2. the stage took a step back and the stage was produced with an incredible lightness in the spatial performance.
3. the distracting cloak is gone and I look up again in amazement at some passages.

Regarding 1. I have to see if I can get rid of the very small amount of long treble in a different way. Most of the time it's because of the power supply.

I will test the pucks again under the upside down Klimax, then I can also test a few CAT cables.

The music plays again with an unbelievable lightness and the sounds just pearl out of the speakers.

Thank you for posting your observations with the ISO Puck Mini’s. Very interesting.

‘I am not sure from your posting where you placed the pucks? It seems just under the Klimax Hub?

‘Have you tried the ISO Pucks under your NAS, the power supply for your LP-12, or  the Radikal?

Cheers

26 minutes ago, Phobic said:

The way I see it in my mind, you had a good SO config then you made a change which "mechanically" made an improvement to your system, your SO config was based on something which wasn't operating in the same way, so your old SO config is now effectively over compensating.

My settings in SO2 are all default.

12 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Thank you for posting your observations with the ISO Puck Mini’s. Very interesting.

‘I am not sure from your posting where you placed the pucks? It seems just under the Klimax Hub?

‘Have you tried the ISO Pucks under your NAS, the power supply for your LP-12, or  the Radikal?

Cheers

I'll test the NAS tomorrow, I'm also interested in what happens there.

On 13/12/2020 at 10:47, Johannes said:

4. one bobbed along.

This evening I decided to listen to my Linn and focus on the musical presentation, with your comments and observations in mind.

The  Isoacoustic products present the music in the most realistic presentation I have ever heard in my system, now sounding like the musicians are real, and present.

I played Louis Armstrong’s “The Good Book” (1958) Nobody Knows The Trouble I Have Seen, and it was as if he was in the room with me. Absolutely stunning. There is an effortless quality to the music with a superb sense of realism,  and an enhanced soundstage.

The emotional quality of voices and connection to the music is far better captured now, and I hear the musicians play together in a way that makes the music dance and move around the room. Simply sublime.

‘I know I am on the right track when I can play Red Hot Chili Peppers and the sound quality and presentation no longer sounds compressed and fatiguing like it did in the past.

Playing Boz Scaggs King of El Paso, makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up, with the cymbals crashing, moving and swaying , subtle layers of guitars and instrumentation that I had not picked up before, and allowing me to reach deeper into the music. 

Playing Jain’s “Come, extended version” I can feel the bass, tight, deep, fast and musical. The layers of music are well separated, her voice so clear and articulate, rising above the backup singers, drumming and horn section.

In Led Zeppelin I’s I Can’t Quit You Baba and How Many More Times, John Bonham’s drumming is so present and effortless, finally brought to the front of the soundstage with the rest of the band. Previously, his drumming always seems like it was recessed and in the back.

I am almost tempted to say it has given my system some of the best qualities of having a tube preamp and amp, playing an analog source. The digital source has left the room.

‘I have a lot more playing around with these pucks, trying them under the chassis of various components, but as it stands, it is a clear winner.

YMMV

Edited by Paulssurround

https://www.stereophile.com/content/bob-katz-loudspeaker-isolation

Haven’t read it yet, but the title seems relative to this thread.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

’troll

Thank you ‘troll. Very interesting reading.

‘Your article also linked to another Stereophile article on the Isoacoustic Gaia’s here:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/isoacoustics-gaia-loudspeaker-isolation-feet-jim-austin-october-2020

Interesting idea from the second article, from Kevin Voecks :

He told me that in his experience, loudspeakers always benefit from rigid coupling to the floor. "Ideally, they would be glued to a concrete slab. ... All the evidence I have points to isolation as a negative, so I do not recommend it."

19 minutes ago, HIGHWAY61 said:

Interesting idea from the second article, from Kevin Voecks :

He told me that in his experience, loudspeakers always benefit from rigid coupling to the floor. "Ideally, they would be glued to a concrete slab. ... All the evidence I have points to isolation as a negative, so I do not recommend it."

Well, I’m sure that might be the accepted wisdom for those who have concrete floors.  But many seem to have floor boards, or live in an upstairs apartment, or above a basement, etc., all of which are far from the imaginary ‘concrete slab’.  
Actually, if we want to debate ‘ideally’ then surely ideally speakers would be suspended in space by immovable forces without any floor contact at all!  Ultimately, though, the need is simply to keep them secure enough not to move backwards, hence absorbing wanted movement from the drivers.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

’troll

Have you read the full AES paper, because the summary refers to an entirely different brand?

29 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Well, I’m sure that might be the accepted wisdom for those who have concrete floors.  But many seem to have floor boards, or live in an upstairs apartment, or above a basement, etc., all of which are far from the imaginary ‘concrete slab’.  
Actually, if we want to debate ‘ideally’ then surely ideally speakers would be suspended in space by immovable forces without any floor contact at all!  Ultimately, though, the need is simply to keep them secure enough not to move backwards, hence absorbing wanted movement from the drivers.

"Hover-Speakers"............A whole new Linn line for 2021. And for an extra £10,000 you can have a remote so you can place them in any 3D position in your room. Now there is a SO3 concept to keep the tweakers on here happy for years to come. :rockin:

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Have you read the full AES paper, because the summary refers to an entirely different brand?

No, I’m not that interested...

’troll