graham67

Cart recommendations for Basik Plus on Axis

Hi,

A friend is looking to replace a very worn AT cart on a Linn Axis and Basik Plus arm.

Rest of system is a Hegel H90 with onboard phono stage and Magnepan LRS speakers.  He listens to jazz, classical, electronica, pop but not heavy material, almost all on new release vinyl.

I was thinking the AT VM95ML would fit the bill and play to the strengths of the magnepans,  but I would appreciate any other recommendations on carts under £200 that would work well with this deck and arm combo.

Many thanks

Graham 

I would say the AT is a match made in heaven.

Probably the replacement for the AT95E Audio Technica.

Its called AT VM95E

Great price and punches well above its weight.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Cool, there seems to be a few reccos for the 95 range on Linn , so this looks a safe choice for the Basik.

I know he wants to try something a bit more upmarket so I think the ML stylus would be worth a try. I have used this stylus on both MM and MC AT carts and know how good it is on more sophisticated material.

I think he has a very worn 120E so I would expect it to be a big jump.

Is there anything in the Ortofon range he should consider with the Basik?

I wouldn't go wandering about the K5 it came with was an AT95E derivative do why upset what works.

there are more stylus variations but don't go mad the Basik wasn't designed to go too demanding.

Ive read about these carts on Klimax spec  LP12s so don't let the price dictate too much.

Great all round and hassle free what's not to like.

Hope this helps.:minikev:

32 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

there are more stylus variations but don't go mad the Basik wasn't designed to go too demanding.

My Bask Plus worked very well with a K5 fitted with a Paratrace stylus. Graham67's friend might well wish to consider a VM95 series cartridge with a more sophisticated stylus profile than the VM95E. The VM95ML with a microlinear stylus profile, at £150 will not break the bank.

David

I'm using an ATVM95C (£30) on an Axis+Akito and it sounds gorgeous. It's also worth applying the right torque to the headshell bolts and the arm pillar bolt if you have a torque screwdriver, to really make it sing. 

I have not compared the variations of the VM95 series but can say that the 95e is a very good cartridge.  I did want to point out that more expensive and/or more sophisticated mechanically do not necessarily equate to better.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Mr Kandid said:

Probably the replacement for the AT95E Audio Technica.

Its called AT VM95E

Great price and punches well above its weight.

image.jpeg

My Axis-Akito player came with one of these. Many dealers seem to fit this as a cost effective solution to a worn cartridge.

I swapped this out with the Adikt I already had on my Rega P3. Both sound good, though at 10x the cost the Adikt sounds a bit better. The AT is a fantastic cartridge for the money. 

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 07:54, Rich9600 said:

My Axis-Akito player came with one of these. Many dealers seem to fit this as a cost effective solution to a worn cartridge.

I swapped this out with the Adikt I already had on my Rega P3. Both sound good, though at 10x the cost the Adikt sounds a bit better. The AT is a fantastic cartridge for the money. 

The AT 95 series or the Sumiko Rainier and Olympia cartridges would be perfect replacements.  Both similar in the sense of the same cartridge body with upgrades in the form of more expensive styli.   Both have more body to the sound than Ortofons in my opinion.  

I was very impressed with both cartridges at the bottom on the range actually.  

I built an Ariston RD80 SL / Linn Basik Plus / AT95E for my niece.

I swapped the AT stylus for a Paratrace https://theaudiofiles.co.uk/95p-paratrace-stylus-for-at95e-cartridge/

It sounds really rather good!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DebsE said:

I built an Ariston RD80 SL / Linn Basik Plus / AT95E for my niece.

That was very sweet of you. “Aunt Deb, she’s the best!” :)

I started off with an RD80 SL / LVX / Basik at university - a year later I had an LP12 / LVX / Supex SM100.

In addition to the Ariston she has my refurbished Linn Lk1 / Dirak, LK2 / Spark, and Celestion SL6 speakers on original Foundation stands. :)

• Like 1

I should point ot that the AT95E has, essentially, the same body as a Linn K5 or K9, so the Paratrace stylus I listed above is a direct swap for the original.

• Like 1

Thanks for this recco, would like to hear that stylus.  Shame I gave away my 95E a while back 😪🤭