Linn Pekin.  I win:

Inside Pekin.jpg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Linn Pekin.  I win:

Inside Pekin.jpg

This reminds me of that "Saturday Night Live" sketch were the guy had a shop selling little hand crafted wooden boxes. The customers would ask "What's it for?" to which he would always reply "You put your weed in it." Seems like plenty of storage space in there. Of course this was all a setup to say the following:

To the voters of Michigan, thank you, and congratulations! :hash:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Linn Pekin.  I win:

Inside Pekin.jpg

Ooh, I think the Naim wins on component count.

’troll

Concert Fidelity actually market their wares with the fact that they keep components to a bare minimum...as evidenced here: 

inside1.JPG

They do sound very good! Although don't tell your wife about the parts count--- or the price, LOL.

Edited by Daveyf
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Ooh, I think the Naim wins on component count.

’troll

But the Naim is only a power supply.  The Pekin is an AM/FM Tuner and power supply all on that one board.

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

This reminds me of that "Saturday Night Live" sketch were the guy had a shop selling little hand crafted wooden boxes. The customers would ask "What's it for?" to which he would always reply "You put your weed in it." Seems like plenty of storage space in there. Of course this was all a setup to say the following:

To the voters of Michigan, thank you, and congratulations! :hash:

It has been said that the overwhelming winner in the latest elections was marijuana!  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

It has been said that the overwhelming winner in the latest elections was marijuana!  

I read that article as well.

Four years ago, when Trump won, my brother in California commented about recreational cannabis becoming legal there. He said "It's become medicinal." :D

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

You might want to check, if your wife has any affiliations with Accuphase? 😫

Nah, she hates that band a lot while she was working in Japan, and I don't know why . 
Pleasing a woman seems like my main focus first :ph34r:

8 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

You might ask her whether this is a better deal than spending $1000 on an iPhone that Apple will purposely obsolete after 5 years (or a few thousand on a MacPro, for that matter.  He says since his fully loaded MacPro is no longer supported).

She is an android fan since day 1.

Seriously, 
why the makers make a big box with such lot of spacing inside? O.o 

Edited by kl122002

3 hours ago, kl122002 said:

Seriously, 
why the makers make a big box with such lot of spacing inside? O.o 

For the manufacturer; the box is already available as a specified component in a preferred parts list; parts ordered in big series will have a better price (maybe not relevant for Naim or Linn though); it does no harm to the performance with some extra space between circuitry and other components, i.e., less effort needed in the design work.
For the customer; a box with the same form factor as other boxes in the shelf looks nice; performance doesn’t suffer from the extra space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Linn Pekin.  I win:

Inside Pekin.jpg

image.thumb.png.e6231e0a919b6e038f2e4de02ac30674.png

The times they are a'changin: Linn Kremlin, unfortunately not mine. Kremlin was the best sounding tuner I ever heard. (I never auditioned a Pekin, though.) I almost bought a used one at around 4000,- DM at Speaker Corner, but my late wife opposed to pay so much "for a used radio";-)

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Kremlin was the best sounding tuner I ever heard.

Aye. Superb bit of kit, I absolutley love mine.

Edited by DebsE

3 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

The times they are a'changin: Linn Kremlin, unfortunately not mine. Kremlin was the best sounding tuner I ever heard. (I never auditioned a Pekin, though.) I almost bought a used one at around 4000,- DM at Speaker Corner, but my late wife opposed to pay so much "for a used radio";-)

She was probably right

• Haha 1

I remember living in Dallas and then Austin, the local public radio stations would occasionally have musicians in the studio playing live. This always sounded so good. I had a Creek tuner, and then a Quad FM4, which I still have. I would've loved to have listened through a Linn Kremlin.

• Like 2

On 13/12/2020 at 21:57, akamatsu said:

I remember living in Dallas and then Austin, the local public radio stations would occasionally have musicians in the studio playing live. This always sounded so good. I had a Creek tuner, and then a Quad FM4, which I still have. I would've loved to have listened through a Linn Kremlin.

I remember a late November day at the west coast of Northern Jutland when the Dame who objected my buying a used Kremlin, and myself kept sitting in the car in front of our rented "summer" house for a good quarter of an hour, listening to the radio. Classic music, probably broadcasted directly from the concert hall, or at least recorded with a minimum of technology getting in the way. It was getting colder as snow was falling around us, but we refused to leave for the house because the music was so wonderful. FM is probably one of the most underrated media in HiFi!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 3

On 13/12/2020 at 11:42, TooManyCatweazles said:

I still own one and it definitely is more musical than the Pekin, although the Pekin was quite good for the money.  Mine is the last version with the Slimline SMPS so no big transformer but still just as packed a chassis.  Quite a contrast with the Pekin indeed.  I mostly listen to WCRJ out of Detroit where they play classical during the day and jazz after 7:00PM.  They also broadcast live classical and jazz performances from Detroit that sound very good, although those have been a bit scarce this year.

• Like 2