firefuocco

Basik Plus tonearm - bearing issue

I am on a bit of a project with my old LP12.  While the Valhalla is up at Class A getting sorted I am going through a few other issues.

I have done a swing test on the Basik Plus and get about 10 return swings with the last few very small.  

I also did a test I saw on youtube holding the arm post at a table edge and carefully moving the antiskate arm rest and watching for sticking in the tonearm that should be vertical.  I get two small sticky movements.

What effect will the bearing issues be having on the SQ?  I haven't noticed any SQ problem.

Is some type of lubrication possible  or does it require new bearings? Who can fix the bearings? Audio Origami?  Anyone else?

Thanks for he advice & I'm sorry if this is all covered a lot.

Any servicing or repair to that arm now would need a third party dealer to do now as LINN won't entertain a repair now.

Might be worth contacting a well established dealer and ask if they might have a pre enjoyed in their spares department that might work out more cost effective than a lengthy repair.

I would phone CYMBIOSIS for advise no point browsing the website as they have tons of gear not listed.

https://www.cymbiosis.com/

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Upvote 1

I don't imagine that there is too much of a call for second hand Basik Plus arms these days, though one in good nick can still give the Pro-ject arm formerly fitted to the Majik LP12 a run for its money. It is just possible that Chris at Hidden Systems (https://www.hiddensystems.co.uk) will still have my old Basik Plus, which was still in good shape when I upgraded.

David

6 hours ago, DavidHB said:

I don't imagine that there is too much of a call for second hand Basik Plus arms these days.

You'd be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If you can find a Majik tonearm (Jelco) at a dealership somewhere, it might be a very good value, a used one from someone who has upgraded. It might be more cost effective (SQ/cost) than repairing the Basik Plus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DebsE said:

You'd be surprised.

Well, that's something on which it would be nice to be wrong.

David

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies which I will follow up on. 

For a start I am trying with adding some lubrication to see what happens.  Nothing to lose.  I realise it isn't a long term solution.

21 hours ago, firefuocco said:

I have done a swing test on the Basik Plus and get about 10 return swings with the last few very small.  

I also did a test I saw on youtube holding the arm post at a table edge and carefully moving the antiskate arm rest and watching for sticking in the tonearm that should be vertical.  I get two small sticky movements.

Could be two things: 

1.  Brindled bearings/races - not much you can do about this if the races are shot (and if the bearings are bad, the races usually are, too).

2.  Gunk buildup (grease/dirt) over the the last 30+ years.  Spraying a little WD40 in the bearings might clean them out some.  If that improves the swing then a more through dowsing with WD40 and then addition of a little oil might do the trick.

I wouldn't do this with a better/newer arm, but it sounds like it's pretty much ready for the dumpster as it stands.

I had GT85 on hand.  It is like WD40 but with PTFE.  I put some on last night and this morning the swing number has doubled to about 19 - 20 return swings. 

I am now going to order a small bottle of super fine watch oil.