Andyt916

A whole new record collection?

Yep, one of my all time favorites and one of those albums that doesn't sound dated (unlike much of the music of that era).  I still play it pretty regularly.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2020 at 23:57, akamatsu said:

Are you referring to the original jacket that unfolds like a newspaper? I love that one. 

Yes. So much fun.  Other LPs for packaging originality: Led Zeppelin 3, Sgt. Peppers, The White Album, Sticky Fingers, Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies, School's Out and Muscle of Love, Grand Funk's Shining On, Velvet Underground and Nico.   I'm sure I'm missing many others.  

• Like 1

For innovative album covers I would have to list King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King and Dave Mason "Alone Together" (also for the marbled vinyl which was pretty unique at the time).

I was a big fan of the pull-out poster that came with Queen's Jazz (although TBF I was a teenage boy at time ;-)). Unfortunately although I still have the album (which is a good thing) I no longer have the poster (which actually, in some ways, is probably also a good thing). 

5 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

I was a big fan of the pull-out poster that came with Queen's Jazz (although TBF I was a teenage boy at time ;-)). Unfortunately although I still have the album (which is a good thing) I no longer have the poster (which actually, in some ways, is probably also a good thing). 

I remember that one. I'm a fan of cycling. I had it hanging in my dorm room in college, in my closet.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I remember that one. I'm a fan of cycling. I had it hanging in my dorm room in college, in my closet.

I'm a big cycling fan too. In fact, I think that's the excuse I'd use if I still had the poster. Not sure that I'd get away with it though ;-)

• Haha 1

Quite right too - it was UTTER sexist shite!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of "new record" collection, three evenings ago, I did something that I'd never done in my previous 50 plus years of handling records, I dropped one. It was London Grammar's "Truth is a Beautiful Thing," one of my favourites. The damage was audible, so I ordered a new copy. I don't recommend dropping records to support musicians.

• Sad 3

57 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Speaking of "new record" collection, three evenings ago, I did something that I'd never done in my previous 50 plus years of handling records, I dropped one. It was London Grammar's "Truth is a Beautiful Thing," one of my favourites. The damage was audible, so I ordered a new copy. I don't recommend dropping records to support musicians.

My favourite on the record is "Big Picture", which has a ripping drive.
If you want to listen to Angus & Julia Stone - Choking (Red Berries) here the actors communicate lovingly with each other musically.

• Like 1

And let's not forget the inspired packaging for Cheech and Chong's Big Bambú!      Yes, I was born in the 1960s.   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cheech-And-Chong-Big-Bambu-1972-Ode-Records-LP-Vinyl-Record-Rolling-Paper-VG/303831875259?hash=item46bdca7ebb:g:FP0AAOSwwlNf7rK4

• Like 1

Talk of unusual album covers reminds me of Rick Wakeman's - No Earthly Connection.

Rick%20Wakeman-No%20Earthly%20Connection.jpg?raw=1

It came with a sheet of mirrored film that you rolled into a tube and placed on the centre of the album - the reflection corrected the distorted image. Great for novelty value at least.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Talk of unusual album covers reminds me of Rick Wakeman's - No Earthly Connection.

Rick%20Wakeman-No%20Earthly%20Connection.jpg?raw=1

It came with a sheet of mirrored film that you rolled into a tube and placed on the centre of the album - the reflection corrected the distorted image. Great for novelty value at least.

I thought about this one. You beat me to it.

I can't find my copy. I was going to set it up for a photo shoot to capture the full effect.

P.S. In the process of searching, I did happen to find my missing copy of Roxy Music, "Avalon."

Edited by akamatsu

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I’m sorry for your loss. That must rank with kerbing an alloy wheel as one of those moments when something mechanical feels personal!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Ouch!! Whilst I dont use vinyl, I can feel your pain on this. A beautiful album! I have a signed cd of this.

To lighten the pain (which you probably know anyway)... there is a new album being released in May this year. I have it preordered as a signed CD.

You might still be able to preorder yourself a signed vinyl of it (I ordered mine a few months ago on day one of the email from LG). 

All the best.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

Ouch!! Whilst I dont use vinyl, I can feel your pain on this. A beautiful album! I have a signed cd of this.

To lighten the pain (which you probably know anyway)... there is a new album being released in May this year. I have it preordered as a signed CD.

You might still be able to preorder yourself a signed vinyl of it (I ordered mine a few months ago on day one of the email from LG). 

All the best.

Just checked. The signed ones are sold out. Release date is February 12, 2021. I will pre-order. Thank you for the heads up. Signed would be nice, but it's really all about the music for me.

All the best to you as well,

Michael

P.S. Signed albums could be the topic of a new thread. Hmmm.

Edited by akamatsu