Next step with the 242’s

zee9

I love my 226 with Exaktbox Sub to support my Katalyst Akudoriks. It sounds teriffic, now. Sources are Klimax LP 12 with machined Radikal and a KEDSM. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johannes said:

It annoys me that no one can really be helped in this forum. 

Rubbish, there's lots of help here and plenty of people benefit from it. It's very useful to talk things through with like minded people

If someone has a question here, 100 people come with their 100 different opinions. In the end, the questioner knows less than before, because now even milestones like Exakt are being questioned. I'm still waiting for the person who turns his speakers around and thinks that sounds much more spatial.

We're grown ups, people are intelligent enough to filter out opinions and come to their own decisions on things. 

You seem to think there is only a single way to do things and if people aren't conforming to your "correct" approach then they are wrong. Not everyone has the same listening preferences, and even where they do there are differences in the local system, the room, or the way that individuals hear.

People aren't wrong to have opinions, they're just different.

Conclusion:
1. the forum here hardly helps anyone.

I've been helped a lot by lots of kind people, so have many others.

you've been helped by others and I've seen you help equally too.

2. many people here who only talk for the sake of talking.

it's a discussion forum, we're a community, people may not always contribute to advancing the conversation, they may just be just agreeing or trying to clarify their own understanding - saying things like this will put people off from getting involved.

3. partly advertising space for nonsense.

by this I think you effectively mean anyone who disagrees with your view of how things must be done.

While I think you and me are after similar things (faithful sound reproduction), not everyone has that same goal, lots of people like colour to their sound and there are different ways to achieve that which don't follow the list of rules for faithful sound reproduction.

They're not wrong, they just have a preference.

4. often no real effort to improve things but just stubbornly sticking to one's experiences.

There's countless threads with people trying/testing new/different things or coming up with new ideas or transposing learnings from the wider community into the Linn space.

- Experiences are important but not every conjured idea or worse every ego trip. There are people here who have gathered their experience over decades and that was work. These people also check their experiences in detail with all interactions. You can't take everyone seriously just because they think the LP12 sounds better on raw eggs. Or I don't believe that because you can't prove it scientifically, and so on.

Equally you can't just dismiss anyone's idea because it doesn't conform to your way of thinking.

That's why I shouldn't write here any more, it's pointless and it often annoys me. And I don't want to get angry. I also think that some people here will be happy because then they can pass on their nonsense without criticism.

Don't stop writing here, you add a lot to the discussion & debate.

it's healthy to have debate about things though, we need to be able to talk through things in detail and to have questions raised, answered and challenged.

It helps people better understand what's going on, provides validation & rationale, and ultimately helps people make a decision - everything we do is a personal choice in the end, this forum is much more about helping people to make an informed decision than it is providing a list of must do things.

• Upvote 5

On 18/12/2020 at 23:17, Sound Hound said:

As a previous owner of a fully exakted 242 setup I feel duty bound to get this thread back on topic and answer the OP's initial question (Hi Zee9 ;- )

I've been a Linn devotee for many years, having owned and enjoyed Kans, Kabers, Isobariks, Keltiks etc etc, but in the last 15yrs or so a couple of pairs of K350s and several pairs of 242's and (briefly a pair of passive Akubariks). The 350s and 242s have their individual strengths - that's a given - obviously. Equally obvious is that which you prefer is personal. The fact I went from 242 to 350, back to 242, then to 350 and back again to 242 tells my particular story - make of that what you will. I think I learnt enough in the first 10 yrs or so with my dealer and subsequently good friend (If you're reading this Steve - Hi !) to enable me to go solo and set up my own systems (pardon the pun). Perhaps controvertially, I still employ a sub in all my systems. I'm currently running Komris - and still run a sub. I'm digressing. Let's get back on topic!....

My Exakted 242 system consisted of KDSM (non Kat) driving a Katalyst AEbox10, A4200D, 2x KCTD, 2x Solos (non D) - it sounded pretty damn good - clear and crisp as.... a bag of crisps - pretty damn fine anyway ;- ) I bought my KDS 2nd hand, as with all my Linn over the last 20yrs, and have upgraded it as the years have passed, and the last upgrade was to bring it up to KDSM (Kat) spec. Having splashed out upgrading the KDSM to Katalyst, which I thought was excessive considering I already had Katalyst in my Ebox10, I thought it'd be interesting to hear how my 242s would sound passive with just the Solos. To my amazement it sounded very, very good indeed. So good in fact that I decided to sell my 2x KCTDs, 4200D and AEbox10. The money I raised from this, and the sale of my 242's, gave me a significant cash surplus after aquiring my current Komris - which sound even better passive than my previous 242's (I did swap out my Solos for SolosD - but that was prior to aquiring the Komris). For me at least, I have no regrets whatsoever moving from Katalyst Exakt, admittedly with an akurate amp in the chain, to passive with Solos. I'm sure there'll even be some who say the Twins, let alone my 4200D, were compromising my system, but that's for another topic. To answer the OPs Q - you could do WAY worse than go for a Katalyst front end and a pair of Solos driving your 242's !!

As the now owner of the last set of 242s that Martin had, and also a fellow user of Katalyst KDSM and Dynamik Klimax  Solos, I can confirm that 242s driven this way really are outstanding. 10 months after buying the 242s I am still amazed at the pure musicality and detail that is revealed, even on music that I have played to death over the last 30 years. Every listening session just makes me smile!

Ian

• Like 2

As a previous owner of a fully exakted 242 setup I feel duty bound to get this thread back on topic and answer the OP's initial question (Hi Zee9 ;- ) I've been a Linn devotee for many years, having owned and enjoyed Kans, Kabers, Isobariks, Keltiks etc etc, but in the last 15yrs or so a couple of pairs of K350s and several pairs of 242's and (briefly a pair of passive Akubariks). The 350s and 242s have their individual strengths - that's a given - obviously. Equally obvious is that which you prefer is personal. The fact I went from 242 to 350, back to 242, then to 350 and back again to 242 tells my particular story - make of that what you will. I think I learnt enough in the first 10 yrs or so with my dealer and subsequently good friend (If you're reading this Steve - Hi !) to enable me to go solo and set up my own systems (pardon the pun). Perhaps controvertially, I still employ a sub in all my systems. I'm currently running Komris - and still run a sub. I'm digressing. Let's get back on topic!....

My Exakted 242 system consisted of KDSM (non Kat) driving a Katalyst AEbox10, A4200D, 2x KCTD, 2x Solos (non D) - it sounded pretty damn good - clear and crisp as.... a bag of crisps - pretty damn fine anyway ;- ) I bought my KDS 2nd hand, as with all my Linn over the last 20yrs, and have upgraded it as the years have passed, and the last upgrade was to bring it up to KDSM (Kat) spec. Having splashed out upgrading the KDSM to Katalyst, which I thought was excessive considering I already had Katalyst in my Ebox10, I thought it'd be interesting to hear how my 242s would sound passive with just the Solos. To my amazement it sounded very, very good indeed. So good in fact that I decided to sell my 2x KCTDs, 4200D and AEbox10. The money I raised from this, and the sale of my 242's, gave me a significant cash surplus after aquiring my current Komris - which sound even better passive than my previous 242's (I did swap out my Solos for SolosD - but that was prior to aquiring the Komris). For me at least, I have no regrets whatsoever moving from Katalyst Exakt, admittedly with an akurate amp in the chain, to passive with Solos. I'm sure there'll even be some who say the Twins, let alone my 4200D, were compromising my system, but that's for another topic. To answer the OPs Q - you could do WAY worse than go for a Katalyst front end and a pair of Solos driving your 242's !!

I don’t know how I missed your reply and only got to read it due to Ian’s reply to it. Your reply has intrigued me the most and I have some questions for you @sound hound.

1. Since I always imagined akubariks to be my end goal I’m surprised or I’m assuming that the 242’s stemmed more enjoyable to you than the akubariks. Was that really the case?

2. I’ve spoke to a local dealer who will be granting me a home demo with an Adsm/3 sometime soon so as to firstly gauge how much of source improvement is necessary for me. He unfortunately does not have an exaktbox 10 (kat) to lend me. sad.png

3. Did you ever get to hear the passive akubariks on solos and what was your opinion on those?

4. When you say that the passive 242’s (with solos/D) were the last speaker before the komri’s am i to understand that you preferred them to the 350’s?

5. Lastly I’m assuming that if the passive route does end up being my journey it would mean that my source also needs a significant upgrade to a KDSM (kat) as the Adsm/3 might be the weak point.

6. Solos are not the easiest to find in the used market and are also a significant cost. There are more non Dynamik solos available and would you suggest that at all?

Sorry for all the questions.

mdsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

2 hours ago, SuffolkIan said:

As the now owner of the last set of 242s that Martin had, and also a fellow user of Katalyst KDSM and Dynamik Klimax  Solos, I can confirm that 242s driven this way really are outstanding. 10 months after buying the 242s I am still amazed at the pure musicality and detail that is revealed, even on music that I have played to death over the last 30 years. Every listening session just makes me smile!

Ian

Ian ! I hope you are keeping well in these testing times - a good Hi-Fi certainly helps. I am SO pleased that you are enjoying those Walnut 242's as much as I did. KDSM(Kat)/SolosD/242 Mk2 (3?) really does take some beating. One would have to spend a boatload more to significantly improve upon it ;- )

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Phobic said:

Rubbish, there's lots of help here and plenty of people benefit from it. It's very useful to talk things through with like minded people

We're grown ups, people are intelligent enough to filter out opinions and come to their own decisions on things. 

You seem to think there is only a single way to do things and if people aren't conforming to your "correct" approach then they are wrong. Not everyone has the same listening preferences, and even where they do there are differences in the local system, the room, or the way that individuals hear.

People aren't wrong to have opinions, they're just different.

I've been helped a lot by lots of kind people, so have many others.

you've been helped by others and I've seen you help equally too.

it's a discussion forum, we're a community, people may not always contribute to advancing the conversation, they may just be just agreeing or trying to clarify their own understanding - saying things like this will put people off from getting involved.

by this I think you effectively mean anyone who disagrees with your view of how things must be done.

While I think you and me are after similar things (faithful sound reproduction), not everyone has that same goal, lots of people like colour to their sound and there are different ways to achieve that which don't follow the list of rules for faithful sound reproduction.

They're not wrong, they just have a preference.

There's countless threads with people trying/testing new/different things or coming up with new ideas or transposing learnings from the wider community into the Linn space.

Equally you can't just dismiss anyone's idea because it doesn't conform to your way of thinking.

Don't stop writing here, you add a lot to the discussion & debate.

it's healthy to have debate about things though, we need to be able to talk through things in detail and to have questions raised, answered and challenged.

It helps people better understand what's going on, provides validation & rationale, and ultimately helps people make a decision - everything we do is a personal choice in the end, this forum is much more about helping people to make an informed decision than it is providing a list of must do things.

Well said @Phobic! Agreed on all. 

@Johannes Please dont stop participating here. As a newbie myself, I value the opinions of the experienced guys like you a lot. There could be a bit of a disconnect due to a language barrier. Could it be that you use a translation service to translate German to English? Some word choices of your translation (or in your English) sometimes come across wrongly or more harsh than you might want to sound. I had that with your comment about the Klimax level and it appeared that I was rubbed the wrong way just because of the misunderstanding around one word.

As i said earlier and to Phobic's point, I wish there would be a bit less of 'black and white' thinking and a bit more appreciation for people personal goals/interests/budgets/personal hearing/taste etc. Yes, ok the experienced guys here have seen it all and they're probably right in 95%+ of the statements but at the same time I personally would want to build experiences on my own.

I've learned a lot, and you guys helped me on several occasions. Even stronger, there were instances i probably would not have figured it out without the help of this forum. 

Edited by frans5508

3 hours ago, zee9 said:

I don’t know how I missed your reply and only got to read it due to Ian’s reply to it. Your reply has intrigued me the most and I have some questions for you @sound hound.

1. Since I always imagined akubariks to be my end goal I’m surprised or I’m assuming that the 242’s stemmed more enjoyable to you than the akubariks. Was that really the case?

2. I’ve spoke to a local dealer who will be granting me a home demo with an Adsm/3 sometime soon so as to firstly gauge how much of source improvement is necessary for me. He unfortunately does not have an exaktbox 10 (kat) to lend me. sad.png

3. Did you ever get to hear the passive akubariks on solos and what was your opinion on those?

4. When you say that the passive 242’s (with solos/D) were the last speaker before the komri’s am i to understand that you preferred them to the 350’s?

5. Lastly I’m assuming that if the passive route does end up being my journey it would mean that my source also needs a significant upgrade to a KDSM (kat) as the Adsm/3 might be the weak point.

6. Solos are not the easiest to find in the used market and are also a significant cost. There are more non Dynamik solos available and would you suggest that at all?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hi Zee. No apology neccessary ! -  I will do my best to answer your questions.......

1. Firstly, I see from your profile that you are running 242Mk1's ? These were the first 242's I owned and they sounded great. It was only when I acquired a pair of Mk2's that I realised just how good 242's could be - the Mk2's are, as Linn might say, "simply better". My flip flopping between K350s and 242s is a long story and so I'll skip it, suffice to say that whereas the scale of the 350s was wonderful, the shear "speed" of the 242s seduced me sufficiently to have me "torn". I struggled to get the 350s sounding wonderful on all the material I played through them - what sounded great on one track didn't on another - I just couldn't get the bass set right - maybe it was my room f*cking with me but I never had that issue with the 242's - whereas they lacked a little in the way of weight and scale they always brought a smile to my face - and that's what a good system should do - right? As for the Akubariks, they were sonically better still - but I just couldn't get on with their looks - the "cherry" pair I had were just too "Dave Dickinson" (Orange).I wasn't convinced they'd mellow down like my other cherry Linns and so they had to go. The Walnut 242's which I reluctantly sold to Ian were/are truly beautiful. I only sold them owing to having acquired my current Komris.

2. I have run Mk2 242's Exakted with an assortment of Linn amps as I stated earlier - both pre Kat and Kat. All I can say is I found my KDSM(Kat) passive with SolosD a surprisingly good combination. Folks have said that ultimately it's the quality of the amps that matter most. Others have said that in an Exakt system the amps matter much less. I have to say that in my experience, I agree with the former. I'm not being in any way snobbish here - it's just my personal experience.

3. Yes - they were excellent - see 1. for my reasons for moving them on ;- )

4. Again - see answer 1.

5. Particularly In a passive system - yes - I'd say the "source first" philosophy holds good

6. Solos are fabulous amps period - the  PSU is the cherry on the top. And your right, even though I've reached the end of my upgrade path I still occassionally check Ebay for used Solos and I just don't see them any more - DAMN !!! I was lucky enough to aqcuire a 9 yr old pair of Dynamiked Solos for £6k through Ebay. So many people slag Ebay off but over the years it has been my saviour. The key is striking up a dialogue with the seller - it doesn't take long to tell if a seller is genuine. All the people I've sold to, or bought from have been solid genuine people.

Hope the above helps in some small way ;- )

• Like 4

Thanks for the explanation. Makes my life a little easier @soundhound

I wonder if it’s worth trying the 242’s passive with a klout. I know that’s no solo but that’s another amp I have lying around so maybe after I demo the Adsm/3 I should convert the speakers back to passive and try them out with 1 or 2 Klouts in passive configuration. Anyone had such a cray idea like mine?

On 21/12/2020 at 14:46, zee9 said:

I wonder if it’s worth trying the 242’s passive with a klout. I know that’s no solo but that’s another amp I have lying around so maybe after I demo the Adsm/3 I should convert the speakers back to passive and try them out with 1 or 2 Klouts in passive configuration. Anyone had such a cray idea like mine?

Crazy idea ? - No!! I for one think that's a great idea. One that I'd certainly try if I was in your situation - having a couple of Klouts knocking about. Espescially as it's such an easy job to convert 242's from Aktiv to passive (and back - but of course you must be carefull and methodical - don't forget to remove the link strips again when/if you back to Aktiv!).

I'm sure I'd not be the only one to hear what you think of a Katalyst pre-amp (Majik vs Akurate ??) > Klout(s) > 242's

• Upvote 1

On 21/12/2020 at 14:46, zee9 said:

I know that’s no solo

The Klout is in a number of respects a precursor to the Solo, and is certainly closer to it than any other Linn amplifier design. IIRC, the main difference, apart from power output, is that the power supplies in the Klout are transformer based, whereas the Solo has always had some form of SMPS (which has been Dynamik for some years now).

David