STAX sr-3 Electrostatic "Ear Speakers,

I have always wanted to listen to/own some of these early electrostatics since I saw adverts for them in the late 60's as a kid but costing hundreds of pounds meant it never happened sadly.

Yesterday I took delivery of my very own pair at last, Purchased from Jerry (Jandl100) at weekend and to say I'm chuffed is an understatement. I spent a couple of hours setting them up but reading an article first provided by Jerry to ensure no cock ups occured (I'm prone to them). Unlike modern headphones they need to be connected to stereo speaker outputs on an amplifier via the back of the Adaptor/Energiser box that the ear speakers then connect to. Luckily I have a pair of Temple Audio Monoblocks I've dedicated for this use.

I settled down to give them a try this afternoon and what a revelation they are I have owned a few pairs of headphones over the years but none have bowled me over like these. The separation & imaging is amazing it just surrounds your head every detail & more than heard before too is beautifully presented a real pleasure to listen too + clean tight bass. To say I'm happy is an understatement I can see many hours of "ear speaker" listening in the future for sure.😁

If you have never listened to any of these then you should they are a revelation in headphone terms👍

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Glad you are pleased with them, I love my pair, when I listen with them. Considering their age, they are excellent. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Glad you are pleased with them, I love my pair, when I listen with them. Considering their age, they are excellent. 

Only just scratched the surface so far but loving them 👍

• Like 1

Hmm, remind me again... why did I sell them? :/

Hee Hee, great cans, absolutely. 

How's the tonal balance? - as I mentioned in the FS thread, it's very tweakable by changing the earpads. Are you using the plastic covered foam ones I supplied? 

Have you tried them without any pads at all? Woof, fabulous in its way. 

Anyway, it's great that you are enjoying them. :^

On 17/12/2020 at 17:02, JANDL100 said:

Hmm, remind me again... why did I sell them? :/

Hee Hee, great cans, absolutely. 

How's the tonal balance? - as I mentioned in the FS thread, it's very tweakable by changing the earpads. Are you using the plastic covered foam ones I supplied? 

Have you tried them without any pads at all? Woof, fabulous in its way. 

Anyway, it's great that you are enjoying them. :^

You sold them cos you want some cash for your next hifi fix😝

I'm using them with the thin covers on atm but I will try it with the cushioned pads too at some point just enjoying my new toy right now 👍🤪

Edited by darthvadersdad

Ah yes, I knew there was a good reason! 

The thin covers were my favourite. No 'filtering' by soft padding, just straight down the lugholes. Stunning. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, JANDL100 said:

Ah yes, I knew there was a good reason! 

The thin covers were my favourite. No 'filtering' by soft padding, just straight down the lugholes. Stunning. 

Certainly seems like they work well that way, I like the way the headband splits into two which spreads the weight better over your head.

Edited by darthvadersdad

Well I've had a couple of listening sessions now & gobsmacked by the quality of the reproduction from these ear speakers. Considering they are 50+ years old it's testament to the build quality of them that they work perfectly.

I've put all sorts of music thru them and it has all sounded so clear & spacious not huge bass but controlled and in balance. 

Absolutely lovin' em!😍

• Upvote 1

If you want more bass they respond really well to a bit of eq. I was surprised. 

• Like 1

I'm actually quite happy with it as it lets all the fine detail come to the fore which makes the imaging so entertaining👌🏻

Edited by darthvadersdad

Hmm, yeah, I get you. 

But try a bit of bass tweakery sometime if you can. They don't lose any of the detail. Very entertaining! 

I plugged them into a small integrated amp with good old fashioned bass and treble controls, and hoiked the bass up a bit. Stunned expression and big smiles. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

Hmm, yeah, I get you. 

But try a bit of bass tweakery sometime if you can. They don't lose any of the detail. Very entertaining! 

I plugged them into a small integrated amp with good old fashioned bass and treble controls, and hoiked the bass up a bit. Stunned expression and big smiles. 

Yeah that sounds interesting I might give that a go but just enjoying them atm😛

• Like 1

So big thanks to Mike (mikechadwick) of this parish who very kindly offered me a headphone stand for just postage cost which arrived this morning I now have my very own headphone station.

It's even remotely controlled via my Esoteric pre amp so all I need now is a nice person to change cds/lps for me so I can bask in lovely sounds without moving a muscule😂😂😂

DD304D86-77FE-468A-9192-4A62E3A00BB6.jpeg

A69E0919-C038-47CE-BA21-79533C923B13.jpeg

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 3

Brought my first pair of SR3's new in 1973 from the then importer Unilet of New Malden and they were amazing, have upgraded over the years and currently own Lamba Signatures,  driven by the SRM-T1 valve energizer. I use the Sigs every night before going to bed, listening to Radio Paradise as I check out my emails and various audio forums for the latest news and gossip, they just sound so good and not a million miles away from my ESL2905's. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, wizmax said:

Brought my first pair of SR3's new in 1973 from the then importer Unilet of New Malden and they were amazing, have upgraded over the years and currently own Lamba Signatures,  driven by the SRM-T1 valve energizer. I use the Sigs every night before going to bed, listening to Radio Paradise as I check out my emails and various audio forums for the latest news and gossip, they just sound so good and not a million miles away from my ESL2905's. 

Sounds like your a lifetime fan Robin I would have loved a pair in 1973 you lucky individual.😁

Edited by darthvadersdad
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.