Anyone using the Pro-Ject Bluetooth Box S2

It's ticking boxes for my toe dipping into streaming (primarily for radio), small, £135.

Any views from any users ? Cheers.

We use one in the office - it was an early pre-production sample, still going strong today.
Nothing to go wrong really. AptX works.
Bluetooth wouldn't be my choice for a High End Hi Fi setup, but for general day to day listening it's more than capable.

At home I use a Stream Box S2 Ultra - which will be out of your reach if that's your rough budget. But for an undredandtwentynicker extra you could have it's less endowed younger sibling the Stream Box S2. A true internet streamer in the same sized box controllable via web / app etc https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/products/Stream-Box-S2

If you're not looking for streamers, but are looking to broadcast audio from a device to your amp then the BT Box will handle that no problem.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Ian said:

It's ticking boxes for my toe dipping into streaming (primarily for radio), small, £135.

Any views from any users ? Cheers.

Is there any reason you prefer to stream exclusively via Bluetooth? Just pointing out that trre are many cheaper streaming solutions that use internet services and don't need your device (phone or tablet) to stream to the bluetooth box. 

• Like 1

Many thanks indeed for the replies, streaming and the various associated boxes is not something within my area of knowledge really.

Dave, I had a look at that link though at the foot of the page it does say this........Please Note: BBC Radio has limited TuneIn's access to its services, so these radio stations may not work on Stream Box S2.

t1no, Again, if I'm honest I don't really have an appreciation between bluetooth and other streaming options.

Bit more research on my part perhaps.

Edited by Ian
3 hours ago, Ian said:

Many thanks indeed for the replies, streaming and the various associated boxes is not something within my area of knowledge really.

Dave, I had a look at that link though at the foot of the page it does say this........Please Note: BBC Radio has limited TuneIn's access to its services, so these radio stations may not work on Stream Box S2.

t1no, Again, if I'm honest I don't really have an appreciation between bluetooth and other streaming options.

Not to worry ... It's an area with so many different options. Bluetooth is a convenient and easy to use option but does rely on a third party device e.g. your phone or tablet to do the streaming over over the internet then restream the audio via Bluetooth to the Bluetooth receiver. This is convenient in one way because the apps or programs on your PC are usually much easier and familiar to use, but the disadvantage is that you are constantly using the phone or tablet power and Bluetooth audio quality is probably not as good as you could get.

There are several cheap streamers on the market with decent sound quality ... for example

• Yamaha WXAD-10 - around £90-£100 used - this does it all including Bluetooth and can also retransmit whatever it is playing to Bluetooth headphones. Analogue outputs only.
  • Google Chromecast Audio - around £20-£30 used - has the advantage of still using the application on your device  but you instruct (cast) to the device and it takes on the duty of streaming rather than your phone or tablet. Analogue (3.5mm) and digital (mini) optical outputs.
  • Panasonic SH-ALL-1C - around £10-£40 used -  works like the Chromecast Audio but you use the interface provided by the device not your phone. Analogue RCA and digital optical output (full size)
  • Squeezebox Touch - around £80-£100 used - versatile little boxes with a screen and touchscreen user interface and lots of third party support. Analogue RCA and optical outputs. If all you are doing is using internet radio I would go for something like this or the Yamaha/Panasonic. There's a little work involved in getting it to use it's own in-built server, but thereafter it's a doddle to use.

Note that all of the above support multi-room audio so you can play the same or different music in different rooms at the same time.

Questions you need to ask yourself ... what phone or tablet do you use ... depending on which you use other options become available to you e.g. Apple devices use Airplay / Airplay 2 but don't support aptX Bluetooth for example.

What inputs do you have on your amplifier / receiver / speakers? Analogue connections such as RCA or Aux In? Or do you have a digital input eg. an optical input.

Edited by t1no
3 hours ago, Ian said:

Yeah, the BBC thing is right PITA, they are forcing everyone over to using the BBC Sounds App, good if you've got a streamer that you can add apps to, not good if you've got a streamer that uses it's own OS ! Obviously if you use a Phone/Tablet with either flavour of OS via BT you can add the app - no problem. That is a very simple hassle free solution if you're not an IT wizard !

5 minutes ago, Dave Brown said:

Yeah, the BBC thing is right PITA, they are forcing everyone over to using the BBC Sounds App, good if you've got a streamer that you can add apps to, not good if you've got a streamer that uses it's own OS ! Obviously if you use a Phone/Tablet with either flavour of OS via BT you can add the app - no problem. That is a very simple hassle free solution if you're not an IT wizard !

You can get over the BBC problem by using a custom URL in TuneIn. I use it and it works quite well other than the fact you cannot see a proper name for the station in the TuneIn app.

See my post in this thread: 

The custom URL workaround mentioned in an earlier post works fine but make sure you choose the right stream. One stream I tried work fine on my phone but not on a wireless streaming speaker I have. Choosing another stream worked, for example, for Radio 4

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p

Edited by t1no
4 minutes ago, t1no said:

You can get over the BBC problem by using a custom URL in TuneIn. I use it and it works quite well other than the fact you cannot see a proper name for the station in the TuneIn app.

See my post in this thread: 

The custom URL workaround mentioned in an earlier post works fine but make sure you choose the right stream. One stream I tried work fine on my phone but not on a wireless streaming speaker I have. Choosing another stream worked, for example, for Radio 4

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p

Yeah, I carefully added most of the URLs earlier this year, it appears they are turning a lot of these off at the moment, or not looking after the servers. Lost a big chunk of stations a few weeks ago including the workshop fave Radio 6 :-( That was on most devices that use the now older Blue Tiger streamer PCB.

1 minute ago, Dave Brown said:

Yeah, I carefully added most of the URLs earlier this year, it appears they are turning a lot of these off at the moment, or not looking after the servers. Lost a big chunk of stations a few weeks ago including the workshop fave Radio 6 :-( That was on most devices that use the now older Blue Tiger streamer PCB.

http://bbcmedia.ic.llnwd.net/stream/bbcmedia_radio4fm_mf_p still works

But I agree stations can disappear without warning ... a bit more manual maintenance but you can usually find a good stream somewhere.

As a slightly more "out-there" option, an older Sonos Connect can be picked up quite cheaply now and used as a streamer via the optical or SPDIF output into your choice of DAC. I use my Connect in the lounge into my Arcam D33 and I reckon it's pretty decent for non-critical listening, both from streaming sources and also from my local NAS-based library. Crucially, TuneIn on Sonos still supports BBC Radio stations so you won't (for the time being, at least) have to worry about custom URLs. If you're not bothered by HD audio streams (Connect doesn't do HD) then it's a good alternative. The Connect app used to control the unit can be a bit frustrating but does, crucially, offer a LOT for streaming services natively, making it a really good and simple one-stop shop.