Strummer

0s & 1s are all the same aren’t they? Is it really worth paying for a “better” Streamer?

17 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I think it perhaps differs between live streams and replay.  I’m listening live to Radio 3 now and my device reports AAC 48kHz 320 kbps, which corresponds to your thoughts.   

Yes R3 only through their player, all other stations are lower quality apparently.

34 minutes ago, Glissando said:

Yes R3 only through their player, all other stations are lower quality apparently.

Nope all the stations I checked on Sounds app thur LMS show same 48/320  aac streams.  Tried live and catch up on R1 R2 and R6.  All same

3 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But 320kbps AAC is not lossless? 

I understand it is only slightly better than mp3.

Think qobuz basic is 320kbps...pretty good through a halfway decent dac..even better through a decent dac...

9 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But 320kbps AAC is not lossless? 

I understand it is only slightly better than mp3.

320 mp3 would sound the same. 

4 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Think qobuz basic is 320kbps...pretty good through a halfway decent dac..even better through a decent dac...

Yep. Flag better but 320 not too shabby.  Still better than dab or fm

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chumpchops said:

I went to a lot of trouble to get 320kbps as good as possible through my kit..then qobuz changed the way it worked and I could get hi res for only £5 a month more..so what could I do? I put my money down...lol

1 minute ago, Nearly bewildered said:

I went to a lot of trouble to get 320kbps as good as possible through my kit..then qobuz changed the way it worked and I could get hi res for only £5 a month more..so what could I do? I put my money down...lol

Yup.  FLACs are very good.  What’s also good is that you can still throttle back from FLAC to 320s in settings at anytime.   Quite useful to save eating all your data allowance on 4G, or for when mobile bandwidth might be a challenge for consistent FLAC streaming over 4G out and about (assuming that we do actually get out and about at some point in the future)

5 minutes ago, Chumpchops said:

Yup.  FLACs are very good.  What’s also good is that you can still throttle back from FLAC to 320s in settings at anytime.   Quite useful to save eating all your data allowance on 4G, or for when mobile bandwidth might be a challenge for consistent FLAC streaming over 4G out and about (assuming that we do actually get out and about at some point in the future)

I got tons of data from tesco mobile all for £10 a month lol..at work my laptop is linked into the wifi...I'm currently using the topping D10 as a dac as I took the HRT streamer 2+ home...the D10 is actually crap...ok as a converter but crap as a dac...anyway the HRT will be back on duty tomorrow at work...yay!

Super Dealer
2 hours ago, Chumpchops said:

We listen to quite a lot of Radio 3 via a denon dab tuner outputting to a Qutest DAC. It sounds pretty good and I think that often dab has an unjustified bad name.  

What though is this semaphore flag waving? Which dac do you use for that?

Edited by Fourlegs

Super Wammer
27 minutes ago, Fourlegs said:

What though is this semaphore flag waving?

Help!

93F02428-0BE8-467E-AAA5-0044B0BAB86E.thumb.jpeg.597ed5c67dcf2f755996c3d6ba8d8c21.jpeg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

We listen to quite a lot of Radio 3 via a denon dab tuner outputting to a Qutest DAC. It sounds pretty good and I think that often dab has an unjustified bad name.  

What though is this semaphore flag waving? Which dac do you use for that

On 11/01/2021 at 20:34, on the rocks said:

I can install on my Samsung smart TV and also access BBC R3 etc via BBC Sounds.  If I get a new DAC and feed these sources into my HIFI will there be any significant difference in sound quality compared to using a dedicated Streamer? 

The results are in.  I've installed BBC Sounds on my TV and resurrected my Cambridge Dacmagic plus to feed the TV optical  output via a spare pair of very basic phono leads into  my Musical Fidelity M6i amplifier and PMC Twenty5 22 speakers.  The TV is plugged into my home Ethernet.  This allows me to compare the BBC Sounds digital feed of Radio 3's Night Tracks with my Musical Fidelity A5 FM/DAB tuner, which has a good upsampling DAC

The BBC Sounds feed sounds terrible compared to the two tuner options; thin and lack of detail.  The DAB is a lot better but the FM is still the best by a long way, albeit with a slight background hiss.  I also installed a trial Tidal ap on the TV with the HiFi option -the sound through my HiFi was not good either.

The Dacmagic plus may not be as good a DAC as that in my tuner and the cheap interconnects won't help, but the main limitation is the TV.  On investigation it seems that the digital feed is not carried straight through but converted to analogue, along with all the decoding to make the image, then the 2 channel sound is converted back to digital with Pulse Code Modulation for the optical output for a soundbar or HiFi.  I've not been able to find out what the bit rate is but from the LEDs on the DAC it is 32 kHz or less.

In  summary the TV is not a substitute for a HiFi streamer, although I enjoy using the optical feed to improve sound quality for films.  For music radio I'll stick to my tuner for the time being, despite the limitation on stations.  In the long term I may go for a streamer and new good quality DAC, but I couldn't justify the cost considering how good the sound from my tuner is.

Try a Firestick 4K or Chromecast into your TV HDMI, then run sounds app from there.  Cheap fix.

or check tv sound output setting options.  PCM should not be a problem. 

Edited by Chumpchops
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Chumpchops said:

Wow...

Edited by Nearly bewildered
Spelling