CnoEvil

The UK/EU Trade Deal

The delay at the moment is down to a last minute hitch - so given all the news about a deal being agreed, let's hope this doesn't turn into a bigger problem.

If as has been indicated, a deal has basically been agreed, I think this should be welcomed, as a No Deal would have been a total disaster - but it should be remembered, that we are the only country in history, to negotiate a Deal that puts up barriers to trade.

As the UK is outside the SM/CU, the Non Tariff Barriers will still ensure there will be long delays at Dover and a raft of expensive delays and paperwork....but provided the Deal goes ahead, the big thing it will do, is stop the our relationship with the EU becoming ever more acrimonious.

I do hope extra time will be allowed to implement the massive changes that are on the way - otherwise the chaos, which combined with Covid damage, will be much more than necessary.

Two big issues to look out for:

1. The hard line ERG's (about 80 MPs) reaction to the deal. I suspect if the Deal is acceptable to the EU, it will not be acceptable to them.

2. How the 2000 document will get scrutinised by Parliament.

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 1

We just need to get some trading framework in place; it can be modified over the years to come.

10 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

How the 2000 document will get scrutinised by Parliament.

It won't be scrutinised by Parliament, it will be passed by Parliament.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

I agree - but many won't be happy.

Yes, agree with you. No doubt as is usual with these things more and more people won't be happy as details eventually come to light and perhaps begin to bite. How is it all being received in NI?

1 minute ago, Bit Perfect said:

Yes, agree with you. No doubt as is usual with these things more and more people won't be happy as details eventually come to light and perhaps begin to bite. How is it all being received in NI?

The NI Protocol means we have a somewhat privileged position - and should make us attractive for business (much to the annoyance of Scotland).

The DUP aren't happy about the Sea Border - but they only have themselves to blame. 

Nationalists feel like the UK Govt is doing much of the heavy lifting for them....as a United Ireland has been made more likely in the nearish future....but it depends how much damage is done. NI investment drops from £100m (EU Funding) to £11m (UK funding).

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply Cno, pretty much as I thought but good to have it confirmed.

2 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Yep, that was/is what Brexit was all about. Tax havens for the rich. Any suffering caused to others is to be discounted as colateral damage and to be dismissed as of no consequence.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, CnoEvil said:

The delay at the moment is down to a last minute hitch - so given all the news about a deal being agreed, let's hope this doesn't turn into a bigger problem.

If as has been indicated, a deal has basically been agreed, I think this should be welcomed, as a No Deal would have been a total disaster - but it should be remembered, that we are the only country in history, to negotiate a Deal that puts up barriers to trade.

As the UK is outside the SM/CU, the Non Tariff Barriers will still ensure there will be long delays at Dover and a raft of expensive delays and paperwork....but provided the Deal goes ahead, the big thing it will do, is stop the our relationship with the EU becoming ever more acrimonious.

I do hope extra time will be allowed to implement the massive changes that are on the way - otherwise the chaos, which combined with Covid damage, will be much more than necessary.

Two big issues to look out for:

1. The hard line ERG's (about 80 MPs) reaction to the deal. I suspect if the Deal is acceptable to the EU, it will not be acceptable to them.

2. How the 2000 document will get scrutinised by Parliament.

Who blinked first?
The shambles of the last four & a half years was predicted to go to the wire and the arcane details of the agreement-from-nowhere will now be discussed ad-finitum.
We're at the point were the opposition has given it's rapid support to the agreement  - we/they have little option in practice - too late for the niceties of a second vote 
The trappings of democracy lost in desperation.

1 minute ago, Von Krolock said:

Who blinked first?
The shambles of the last four & a half years was predicted to go to the wire and the arcane details of the agreement-from-nowhere will now be discussed ad-finitum.
We're at the point were the opposition has given it's rapid support to the agreement  - we/they have little option in practice - too late for the niceties of a second vote 
The trappings of democracy lost in desperation.

Without knowing the details, I suspect that compromises were made on both sides  - but I think the UK, having less leverage and having the most to lose, compromised more. ...Just watch to see the reaction of the ERG, which might be instructive.

Not being European anymore and just another little parochial bollock was all down to fish and chips.

• The EU and the UK agreed on a new framework for the joint management of fish stocks in EU and UK waters. The UK will be able to further develop British fishing activities, while the activities and livelihoods of European fishing communities will be safeguarded, and natural resources preserved.

Yesterday's anoucement was proven to be good news, as Nicola Krankie spent the whole day throwing toys out of her pram. No more proof needed.

7 hours ago, Colinjg said:

Yesterday's anoucement was proven to be good news, as Nicola Krankie spent the whole day throwing toys out of her pram. No more proof needed.

Good news for some, bad news for others, everybody will be throwing shit. Not one single sector of the UK economy comes out of this smelling of roses.

1 minute ago, TigerTiger said:

Good news for some, bad news for others, everybody will be throwing shit. Not one single sector of the UK economy comes out of this smelling of roses.

Is any sector better off than they were when we were in the EU?