Cool Dude Ted

REW software

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

Thanks for the reply. Have to be honest and say that my inexperience in all things DSP means that I don’t know what the “MMM technique” is. Sorry. I’ll do some searching on line.

Thank you also for the offer of the mic. Is it OK if I come back to you about this?

Thanks again

Sorry, it's the Moving Mic Method measurement technique; I posted a video above.

You use a steady state signal (pink noise) and move the mic for the duration of the measurement over a spherical area that will account for heat and seat movements.

As for the mic offer you are welcome to think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tuga said:

Sorry, it's the Moving Mic Method measurement technique; I posted a video above.

You use a steady state signal (pink noise) and move the mic for the duration of the measurement over a spherical area that will account for heat and seat movements.

As for the mic offer you are welcome to think about it.

thnk you for clarifying. I had planned to watch the video yesterday but was interrupted (as you are at Xmas!).

I’ve just had a read of your original thread where you mention that - although not calibrated - the response curve is flat for the mic. for what I want to do and my skill level, it’s probably more than good enough.

I will come back to you as soon as I’ve done just a bit more reading, including use of the REW software. I just need to be sure I’m embarking on a journey that I have the skills to complete.

At the moment I’m listening to my Pi4/Moode where I’ve cut the 46hz frequency by -10Db with a Q of 8. I am well aware this is a very rudimentary effort and that so much more is possible, even with my simple hifi kit and my basic skills.

Thank you again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

thnk you for clarifying. I had planned to watch the video yesterday but was interrupted (as you are at Xmas!).

I’ve just had a read of your original thread where you mention that - although not calibrated - the response curve is flat for the mic. for what I want to do and my skill level, it’s probably more than good enough.

I will come back to you as soon as I’ve done just a bit more reading, including use of the REW software. I just need to be sure I’m embarking on a journey that I have the skills to complete.

At the moment I’m listening to my Pi4/Moode where I’ve cut the 46hz frequency by -10Db with a Q of 8. I am well aware this is a very rudimentary effort and that so much more is possible, even with my simple hifi kit and my basic skills.

Thank you again.

A few of us are using REW for measuring room response and producing EQ filters, I’m sure you’ll get all the help you need.

REW is a bit daunting at first but actually quite straightforward once you get used to it.

If your software doesn’t import filters you can use REW’s automatic room correction filter generator and then copy the filter settings manually.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw your thread about MoOde 7.1, that has a few 'baked in' graphic equalization settings you can try or create your own if you wish, there's also PEQ to play with!

I've had a little bit of fun trying the various selections and settled on 'Vinyl touch' as I like the little bass lift and a small skim off 8 kHz where my ears are a bit sensitive to midrange harshness.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Wammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Probably not for me as I don’t use either Roon or Jriver.

My simple streamer is a Rpi4 running Moode software.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@tuga

I wanted to come back to you as I’ve decided not to pursue the USB mic, but wanted to thank you for the kind offer.

The reason is quite simple, really. Today, I downloaded REW with the sole aim of seeing if I could get to grips with the software before buying a USB mic. I watched about 10 videos, and despite them all saying the equivalent of “basic” introduction, none of them seemed to maintain focus on the complete beginner angle for long enough.

Anyway, armed with what I was able to take in, I connected my laptop to my amp (via DAC) and used an old, but GQ, analogue mic as the input device (the laptop has mic in). Before doing this, I’d accepted that because the mic wasn’t calibrated, the results would be nowhere accurate. However, I would at least get an idea of how REW works.

I am reasonably IT literate and it was immediately obvious just how extensive and detailed the program is and what it could offer. Sadly, for me though, I very soon found I was out of my depth and realised that I didn’t have the level of technical know how - or perhaps patience - to persevere. I somehow arrived at a screen which showed me the settings which I would need to input to a PEQ but even allowing for non calibration of the mic, they seemed too complicated /numerous for me to implement manually.

My only way forward here is to simply accept I don’t have what it takes to be able to use REW effectively, unless in conjunction with an automated process. An integrated amp with DSP built in is probably my best way forward.

Thanks again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

I somehow arrived at a screen which showed me the settings which I would need to input to a PEQ but even allowing for non calibration of the mic, they seemed too complicated /numerous for me to implement manually.

What you'd need would be 3 numbers per filter. If say you had one particularly dominant room mode as I do then a significant improvement could likely be achieved with as little as 6 numbers being entered into Moode (3 per channel). Alternatively you could simply use a REW measurement to show any main resonance frequencies and then just manually adjust the filter graphs in Moode with these in mind to see if you can improve things or not.

I appreciate that you have currently concluded this is not something you want to progress but if you do ever want to revisit this there are plenty of people around who could help.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MartinC said:

What you'd need would be 3 numbers per filter. If say you had one particularly dominant room mode as I do then a significant improvement could likely be achieved with as little as 6 numbers being entered into Moode (3 per channel). Alternatively you could simply use a REW measurement to show any main resonance frequencies and then just manually adjust the filter graphs in Moode with these in mind to see if you can improve things or not.

I appreciate that you have currently concluded this is not something you want to progress but if you do ever want to revisit this there are plenty of people around who could help.

Hi Martin

Thank you.

I so very much wanted not to give up but felt totally overwhelmed at the end.

I followed the video on page 1 of this thread and found it really helpful. I watched them use the moving mic method and how it produced a graph. I followed the logic of three people doing this and then averaging the results. I think if I could have mirrored what they were doing on my laptop, then I would have been able to extract the manual filter settings and applied them to the PEQ in Moode. This would also have given me the confidence to carry on & dig a bit deeper into the SW - learning different aspects as I go.

Accepting that my analogue mic is not calibrated and therefore little use other than practising with REW, I think my main issues were;

1) not being able to replicate what I was seeing on the video 
2) being totally overwhelmed by the number of (manual) filter settings produced by the software - some appearing to conflict with others and some giving quite extreme inputs for Q and Db +/-. At one point, I had a list of 16 different filter settings (assume some were 2nd/3rd harmonics if I’ve got the terminology right?)

I do believe that I understand the concept but it’s the level of detail and intricate nature of the SW which I find so difficult.

If I am to begin again then I really do need to find a “complete and utter Idiots guide to starting out with REW”.

I appreciate what you say about help being available on the forum but I cannot realistically expect other members to provide the sort of hand holding that I think I am in need of.

Thank you

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, PuritéAudio said:

Thank you for the links. I often have a look at the audiosciencereview site and had a quick read of the first one yesterday. when I have the enthusiasm, I’ll go back and have another read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Dealer

If you get stuck give me a ring, really it is straightforward, and one of the advantages is that once saved you can share your REW files with other users.

Keith

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PuritéAudio said:

You don’t need to worry about mic calibration as we are only comparing relative values, 

I think you're mixing up two different types of calibration there. The absolute sensitivity doesn't matter but how this varies with frequency does. How important a correction for this is will depend on how good the uncorrected response is over the frequency range of interest.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MartinC

@PuritéAudio

Thank you both for your help to date.

I took a deep breath and had another go this afternoon. I am not saying that it was a success but I at least arrived at a series of settings which I have been able to input to the PEQ in Moode. I have input 8 settings between 40 Hz and 200 Hz. Have listened for a while but so very difficult to assess if “better” than what went before without A/B listening which I cannot do at present.

A few observations/unanswered questions which I would be delighted to receive responses to if you have the time. I’m sure that the answers are blindingly obvious to anyone who is experienced with REW

1) if I increase ‘smoothing’ of the graphs then the number of frequency settings/changes/reduces. I had to settle on 1/12 smoothing to get a sensible number of parameters 

2) I am struggling with understanding the reference to ‘target Dbs’ when measuring. 75 DB seems to be the default but I don’t understand why. This could simply be me struggling with the whole concept of decibels rather than being REW specific.

3) Increasing/decreasing the volume level on my amp changes the results????

4) some of the suggested EQ settings are extreme to say the least e.g. a Q of 32 and -50Db. The PEQ within Moode only permits a max Q of 8

5) Moode doesn’t seem to permit the input of separate settings for L & R speakers. Have I missed something here?

Thanks.

Edited by Cool Dude Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.