Cool Dude Ted

REW software

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

For my check you didn't need to do anything with filters. Just directly compare the 5 measurements. It would have taken minutes. 

Can you post the SPL graph showing the 5 measurements with let's say 1/48 smoothing?

Will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, tuga said:

Hi Stuart,

I wouldn't use 1/6. Also, I would take care not to measure over an area wider than 30-40cm.

You can also try testing standing waves using these test tones or those found on youtube and your iPad's SPL meter.

Best,

Ricardo

Thanks for the reply. the 30-40cm area is related to the mic position?

Also 1/6 is too much smoothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

Thanks for the reply. the 30-40cm area is related to the mic position?

Also 1/6 is too much smoothing?

When performing MMM measurements I roughly move the mic inside an imaginary circle of around 30cm located where my head should be, and move it a bit front to back as well.

I think that for EQ'ing room response 1/6 is too much. I use 1/12, some people 1/24 even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tuga said:

When performing MMM measurements I roughly move the mic inside an imaginary circle of around 30cm located where my head should be, and move it a bit front to back as well.

Have you ever tried using a larger volume? As you may know Dirac Live uses an average over multiple points for the basis of its filter design, but here the points are recommended to be at a minimum spaced over a sphere of 1 m diameter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Cool Dude Ted I would though stop spending any time thinking about filter design or where you make measurements until you've actually been able to work out if you're getting meaningful measurements in the first place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Have you ever tried using a larger volume? As you may know Dirac Live uses an average over multiple points for the basis of its filter design, but here the points are recommended to be at a minimum spaced over a sphere of 1 m diameter.

I haven't. But moving that much forwards or backwards will make a massive change to the response and I am only correcting below 200Hz.

I made these many years ago, side walls are asymmetrical as can be seen by the difference in the measurements.

qdJbbDy.png

Edited by tuga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tuga said:

I haven't. But moving that much forwards or backwards will make a massive change.

It does indeed. It may be the Dirac range is more important for full-frequency range corrections but it's something to consider trying. Note I've done lots of corrections using single point measurements too so I'm not a strong proponent of any particular approach but I think it's a variable worth exploring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It does indeed. It may be the Dirac range is more important for full-frequency range corrections but it's something to consider trying. Note I've done lots of corrections using single point measurements too so I'm not a strong proponent of any particular approach but I think it's a variable worth exploring.

I would like to try Dirac or one of the more "evolved" response correction packages at some but I need to find out how to make them work with HQPlayer first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MartinC said:

@Cool Dude Ted I would though stop spending any time thinking about filter design or where you make measurements until you've actually been able to work out if you're getting meaningful measurements in the first place. 

thank you. good advice. I will post the SPL graphs tomorrow but agree 100% that I somehow need to find out whether I can rely on the measurements being accurate. I’m concerned they may not be in which case my way forward would seem to be a USB mic which I am actively looking for. UMIK-1 seems to have a great deal going for it but none for sale 2nd hand that I can see. I think I need to bite the bullet, buy new and then sell on as I don’t plan on keep repeating this exercise.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

thank you. good advice. I will post the SPL graphs tomorrow but agree 100% that I somehow need to find out whether I can rely on the measurements being accurate. I’m concerned they may not be in which case my way forward would seem to be a USB mic which I am actively looking for. UMIK-1 seems to have a great deal going for it but none for sale 2nd hand that I can see. I think I need to bite the bullet, buy new and then sell on as I don’t plan on keep repeating this exercise.

Second hand UMIK-1s tend to sell quickly, which on the plus side means if you buy one and decide you don't want to keep, you should be able to sell it on easily without losing too much money.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.