Stuart, no need for apologies or embarrassment, we’ve all been there and probably made far worse mistakes; as they say you can’t make omelettes without breaking eggs, as least I think that’s what they used to say!

• Like 1
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@MartinC @Camverton @tuga An overdue update - I’ve had trouble logging on for the last few days. But I did promise an update rather than “disappearing” - never to be seen again. ‘My

Two quick thoughts: One advantage of the UMIK-1 is that if you get one and find you don't want it long term, they are easy to sell on second hand without a huge loss. REW is very powerf

A few of us are using REW for measuring room response and producing EQ filters, I’m sure you’ll get all the help you need. REW is a bit daunting at first but actually quite straightforward once y

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Don't feel embarrassed, and as you say you've learnt through the process so not a waste of time at all. I didn't know how well or badly your microphone might work either but it is why I was focusing on the raw measurements and variability you were seeing to try to assess this.

I believe from an avforums post that idealav have UMIK-1s in stock if you're interested. Other places may too of course.

Thank you Martin.

I’d seen that IdealAV may have them in stock this week and I did also contemplate importing one from HK.

May be an idea also to have a look for other USB mics, but what attracted me to the UMIK was the calibration file and the fact that the mic is automatically identified in REW. Anything which lessens the need to go into the REW “Preference” options has to be a good thing from where I’m standing!

Thanks again

Stuart

The umik mic is the best choice , it just works. Your post has reminded of the time I wasted messing about in settings, never quite sure whether I was getting a valid result. iirc I was trying to use a measurement mic which had been supplied with a Denon AV receiver. Probably not a bad mic but a nightmare trying to use it with REW.

• Like 1

Thank you all.

Decision made I think.

UMIK-1

I’m sure everyone who has helped me so far will be relieved to hear that I’ve actually got on and done something positive - no used mics for sale anywhere, so I’ve ordered a new UMIK from IdealAV.

Then again, it may not be relief because once I’ve got the new mic I can be absolutely sure that I’ll have more questions and can only hope that previous levels of patience and kindness can be maintained for a while longer!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Stuart, it’s been a pleasure and in these discussions we all learn something new or look at our ways of doing things in a different way. I have to say that it’s nice when someone acknowledges our attempts to help, so often someone poses a question and you never hear from them again.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Camverton said:

Stuart, it’s been a pleasure and in these discussions we all learn something new or look at our ways of doing things in a different way. I have to say that it’s nice when someone acknowledges our attempts to help, so often someone poses a question and you never hear from them again.

hi Malcolm

Thank you.

I just wish there was something I could “give back” to the forum. I’ve had a go with some advice re Raspberry Pi usage as a streamer but I am very conscious of my limited knowledge, despite growing years!

When you are on a site where there are so very clearly members who are either “expert” or very close to it - it can sometimes seem a little bit intimidating putting forward an opinion which is sometimes based on just a fraction of the experience which others have. I am talking about forums in general here.

Now if there was a section about advice on cameras, lenses, etc, I could well be in my element.

Stuart

17 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

hi Malcolm

Thank you.

I just wish there was something I could “give back” to the forum. I’ve had a go with some advice re Raspberry Pi usage as a streamer but I am very conscious of my limited knowledge, despite growing years!

When you are on a site where there are so very clearly members who are either “expert” or very close to it - it can sometimes seem a little bit intimidating putting forward an opinion which is sometimes based on just a fraction of the experience which others have. I am talking about forums in general here.

Now if there was a section about advice on cameras, lenses, etc, I could well be in my element.

Stuart

Have you tried the Photography section?

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/33-photography/

1 minute ago, tuga said:

Have you tried the Photography section?

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/forum/33-photography/

how on earth did I not know that we have a Photography section?????

Thank you for pointing this out.

• Haha 1

and thanks to your pointer, I’ve posted on the Photography forum. Admittedly the original post is a few months old, but I just might be able to help someone out with their old film lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

@MartinC

@Camverton

@tuga

An overdue update - I’ve had trouble logging on for the last few days. But I did promise an update rather than “disappearing” - never to be seen again.

‘My MiniDSP UMIK arrived last week and a “straight out of the box” setup and measurement seemed to go well - or so I thought!!! EQ filter measurements were obtained and input to the PEQ in Moode on the Pi4. Played some FLACS for a while but initial impression was that the music had been robbed of bass.

Today I decided to try and do things “properly”. Within minutes I’d hit major issues with “check levels” under both Preferences and Measurement in REW failing to respond because of an excessively high SPL response. I’d previously set an SPL limit of 100dB and told the system to abort above the SPL limit.

I knew this couldn’t be right. I’d previously sorted what an SPL of around 75 dB “sounded like” &  knew where the volume knob on my amp should be. If true, I was generating signals well over 30dB higher than this. How? Was the mic faulty??

I then recalled a random comment I’d read somewhere about downloading the calibration file again. Before doing this - and for some reason - I happened to look at the text of the calibration file already downloaded & immediately knew something was wrong. On the first line there was some mention of -40.3dB (which I didn’t really understand) and the line by line adjustments only went as far as 60hz - odd I thought for a mic which can measure to over 20Khz. There is no way it could be absolutely flat all the way from 60hz to 20Khz.

Anyway, I downloaded the calibration file from MiniDSP again and - hey presto - a completely different configuration file (and no, I hadn’t type my serial no. in incorrectly the first time!) And this one made sense.

Back to measurements. I took three measurements at my central position on the sofa (L&R speaker, L only, R only) and then repeated it for positions 25cm to the right and left of my head. 9 measurements in all. I then averaged each of the three sets of readings and then averaged those three graphs. And then applied 1/12 smoothing.

I’ve ended up with a set of about 10 PEQ filters (nothing above 500hz) which do seem to correlate with the SPL graph when looking at peaks and troughs over/under 75dB. As you’d expect. What I’m relieved to see is that the room mode “hump” which I knew to be there at around 44/45Hz (shape of the room - standing wave) was clear for all to see and I need -17dB to negate this.

As I’ve only just loaded these filter settings into Moode, I’ve decided the best thing to do now is to live with them for a while and see how music sounds. I am resisting the urge to take more measurements for the time being.

My thanks again to you all. I know I have more questions but they can easily wait till another day.

Stuart

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

As I’ve only just loaded these filter settings into Moode, I’ve decided the best thing to do now is to live with them for a while and see how music sounds. I am resisting the urge to take more measurements for the time being.

Good job!

On 17/01/2021 at 10:57, MartinC said:

As above, if you're going to buy anything buy a UMIK-1.

Hi Martin

Out of courtesy just wanted to let you have an update, given all of your previous help. it’s a couple of posts above.

Stuart

Hi Malcolm

Not sure if you’ve seen the update (above), but in view of all the help you’ve given me I just wanted to let you know where I am, now that I have a UMIK.

Stuart