Headphone recommendations on a tight budget.

Budget is £100. Very happy to go second hand.

I currently have Sennheiser PX100. I like the overall sound but they are somewhat lacking in detail.

But then I'm comparing them to the Sennheiser HD650's I had some years ago. They were fantastic. Only sold them to raise a bit of cash.

So, I'm looking to get as close to that level as I can for my budget. I don't need wireless or noise cancelling or any of that kind of thing.

Thanks

Edited by simon ess
info

PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

I bought approx week ago the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80ohms (studio) for £109.  Since then I have not stopped listening to music via my laptop.  They are good for most genres of music, a balanced sound with immersive qualities, good sound stage and the bass is self evident (not the most tuneful).  I am now saving for a IfiZenDac but in no hurry as they sound so good anyway.  If you love Classical music you will get the benefit of their resolution....

• Like 1

How do some Sennheiser HD 598SR tickle your fancy? Ping me PM if int. Bought recently from Jerry.

They're good but I prefer my other pair.

Edited by Amormusic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2021 at 17:09, simon ess said:

Thanks but I'm sorted now.

How you finding the new cans? Similar to your old ones?

9 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

How you finding the new cans? Similar to your old ones?

Well, a different beast entirely compared to the PX100, but that's to be expected I suppose. 

I've currently got them hooked up to the phones socket on a Yamaha A-S500 so can't really evaluate their full potential. They are very nice though. 

I might think about an amp in the near future.

Thanks for asking BTW

37 minutes ago, simon ess said:

I might think about an amp in the near future.

Cool.

A little birdy told me there's a beaut of a Creek amp combo in the classifieds btw 👍

Ps - I meant your old ones, as in the recollection of your HD650's.

Edited by Amormusic
21 minutes ago, Amormusic said:

Cool.

A little birdy told me there's a beaut of a Creek amp combo in the classifieds btw 👍

Ps - I meant your old ones, as in the recollection of your HD650's.

Haha - I won't be spending any more money for a while now.

I had the 650s connected to a Graham Slee amp, so unfair to compare but, as far as I remember, they were quite a lot crisper and punchier than these.

These do seem a little muddled and vague somehow in comparison, but to what extent is that the amp?

Just to add, I'm not a headphone fan. I just get the urge for late night volume sometimes. :D

Edited by simon ess
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.