Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

1 hour ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

More realistic: Improve AV5140 base by DIY project suggested by @Eldarboy. This year, the weather was to variable, to get it kicked-off in the garden.

If you do the project, you may find you will not need a subwoofer. Do this project before you do anything: it will be one of the most significant things you ever do. It is still the one thing I did that had the largest impact on the SQ on any of my systems.

• Like 2

Oh what’s the project 

Echo Chris get better I ordered the series 3 from him just before his illness and we were going to play in the shop with surround and the series 3 he was a great friend and amazing dealer so is sorely missed 

2020 upgraded klimax dsm Karousel and refurbishing of akurate 225 and melodik to piano black so next year will be music and sharing a glass of claret with Chris 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Nrwatson said:

Oh what’s the project 

Adding 1mm steel shot and epoxy to fill the cavities beneath his AV5140 speakers. I did it and, as mentioned, it is still the most impressive upgrade I ever did.

2020 brought Lingo 4 and Adikt. For 2021 I'm hoping to do Karousel, Kore and Trampolin. At that point I think I need to turn any upgrade attention to amplification and (maybe) speakers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dasher said:

The principle behind mass vaccination is to protect the society, not the individual.

Yes, I know this. So does my family, but they are still insistent that I should be vaccinated before I travel at all far afield. A classic illustration of the fact that, though there are always reasons for what we do, it does not follow that those reasons are always rational.

David

Did the free Karousel this year via a Machined Radical and Urika II. 

For 2021 I have a set of 8 Iso-pucks on the way to test out under my EAdsm and AEbox 10. If I hear it, I will order two more sets for everything else in my kit. 

A mint pair of 242 mk2 + is on my list plus another A2200 to drive it aktiv 

Edited by arm

Super Wammer

To all those without LP12s who are posting on a thread about LP12 upgrades, I think it's time to just get a bloody LP12. You are missing out on the best product Linn makes, and the single most significant and best upgrade you could make to your systems. Life is just too short.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Super Wammer

2020 I upgraded to a Karousel bearing which was a significant improvement. 

2021 I'm torn between swapping my akurate Radikal for a Klimax Radikal or swapping my Dynavector xx2 mk2 for a Dynavector Te Kiatora Rua. Which one would bring the biggest improvement? Obviously demonstrations would have to be done on both. 

Cheers Ady 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ady said:

2020 I upgraded to a Karousel bearing which was a significant improvement. 

2021 I'm torn between swapping my akurate Radikal for a Klimax Radikal or swapping my Dynavector xx2 mk2 for a Dynavector Te Kiatora Rua. Which one would bring the biggest improvement? Obviously demonstrations would have to be done on both. 

Cheers Ady 

Of course changing the Radikal. 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, akamatsu said:

To all those without LP12s who are posting on a thread about LP12 upgrades, I think it's time to just get a bloody LP12. You are missing out on the best product Linn makes, and the single most significant and best upgrade you could make to your systems. Life is just too short.

There a reason why I no longer have a nicely updated LP12: SNAP....CRACKLE...POP, and that annoying sound of the stylus running along the vinyl that is heard while listening with headphones: this certainly classifies me as a total ignoramous when it comes to your “best upgrade”. I am merely on what is evidently your territory to respond to someone who may try one of my successful upgrade projects. 
Send me an invoice for the fine, and I will pay it on my way out the door.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 26/12/2020 at 17:08, TooManyCatweazles said:

2020:

• machined Radikal (black) - replacing Lingo 2
  • Urika 2 - replacing Uphorik
  • Karousel - replacing Cirkus

I'm very happy with the progress, and my fun to listen to my good old records was definitely re-ignited by this (conciderable, in my terms) investment

• Akiva retipping by Roberto Torlai - replacing Krystal (no urgent need, the Krystal is still good, but ... 🤗)

What else? No pressure! Wait and see, if any special offer triggers me, and how budgets unroll. Needful things:

1. ExaktboxSub to revive my AV5150
  2. Keel - replacing Kore
  3. Ekos/SE  - replacing Ekos
  4. Klimax Exaktbox - replacing Akurate Exaktbox 6
  5. A3200s - replacing C6100/D
  6. Akubariks replacing AV5140s  + AV5150 (+  1.) + 4. + 5.

Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt! - as we say in German 😉

More realistic: Improve AV5140 base by DIY project suggested by @Eldarboy. This year, the weather was to variable, to get it kicked-off in the garden.

Looks like we need to review our plans only 3 months into 2021, with the Organik knocking at our doors?

Akiva Retipping has been done (check)

Option 4 may get even more attractive, if I can get a used black box, and update to Organic later

Fortunately (or, unfortunately, depending on your starting point), whilst I have found the recent announcements and rumours fascinating, I don't think they will impact my plans.

Assuming job situation pans out, I shall at some point soon after April 12th  commission the planned Karousel / Kore / Trampolin upgrades.

I shall then sit back and enjoy, whilst working through the next stages, ably assisted by the sound advice I have received here, and have a great time doing that, always bearing in mind Greg Anderson's advice - Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Andyt916 - Your LP12 plans seems like a solid one and not to heavy on the pocketbook. Also I totally agree with the statement "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.." I feel this is a testament to taking our times with these upgrades. It gives us something to look forward and strive to. Making it a multi year or even a multi decade project would make it part of the fun. Plus the longer one waits for an upgrade the greater possibility the next big thing is just around the corner.

That being said - since you have to get into the suspension for the Kore - it might be worth considering going on the the Keel if you can make the jump.

• Like 1