Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

2 hours ago, Matteo said:

A new Klimax DSM :rofl:

I seriously came over here to the turntable sub-forum to get away from the aftermath of the Klimax DSM hype and I run into this. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, 2020 started with the Karousel and Kandid upgrade and finished with the replacement of my second system with an MDSM/4 and a pair of 109s, and there was a lot of enjoyable listening in between.

To all those without LP12s who are posting on a thread about LP12 upgrades, I think it's time to just get a bloody LP12. You are missing out on the best product Linn makes, and the single most signifi

I had a Circus etc the same as you and because of events have just had the Karousel fitted. I had no idea what I would hear when I got it home other than it should be far better but several days later

I'm apprehensive about going forward with the Klimax cased Radikal as we don't know what will happen with the case, given the new design just released.

Would anyone care to speculate as to the future look of the Radikal?

16 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I'm apprehensive about going forward with the Klimax cased Radikal as we don't know what will happen with the case, given the new design just released.

I wondered how long it would take before I was seeing this one :) !!

The key question surely is "do you still hanker after a KSH? and if so then" will it be the biscuit tin instead"? (given that there's not really a big price difference between the hubs).

The you have a dilemma as if you want the boxes to match up then you are gambling on there being a matching biscuit tin case for the Radikal (with a really useless knob on top).

The bigger question is: "Will the biscuit tin Radikal sound better than the Klimax cased one"? Personally I doubt it, but no doubt if Linn marketing hint enough for one to be told six times or more that there is a difference then there will indeed be a difference.

I'll speculate that a year from now the Akamatsu Household will have two new biscuit tins!  :)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

It does still seem very confusing, although it’s early days. It “appears” that the slimline Klimax case is to remain, at least for some time. To be honest, where would you put new style cases and would you pay the premium? Personally, I’d just go for a current Klimax Radikal, buy a nice cupboard to put it in and forget about it.

’troll

• Like 1

Gilad said that there is no plan to move the Radikal, Solos, Klimax ExaktBox, etc. into new casework to match the new Organik KDSM.  The ExaktBox, as shown in the dealer Organik info, is still in the same chassis.  He said that being a source piece it is a unit that stands on its own and doesn't need to match the other items.  The original KDS/M are also to stay in the line for the time being.  With all that I wouldn't expect to see Radikal in that casework, at least not for a long time, if ever.  There is no need for that kind of space to keep analog and digital sections isolated like in the new KDSM and the Radikal is already mostly air inside already so I can't see the benefit of the larger case.

• Like 3

I'm actually happy, that I bought the Black Beauty Radikal last year, for exactly the same reason. Trying to get an ex-demo Black Beauty Exaktbox asap, as long as these boxes are available. Saw a nicely priced Klimax Exaktbox advertised today. Unfortunately, it was the silver version. Elsewise I had hit the <buy> button.

As for DSM upgrades: I'm wondering which parts of my KRDSM I'm actually using these days, when I play records (when I purchased it, the system was analog aktiv:

- ADC? - Nope, it's in the Urika II now

- DAC? - Nope, it's in the Exaktbox now

- PSU, Blue LED, Exakt - Certainly

- Master Clock - I think so

Any reason to update to a different box? Not really

44 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Gilad said that there is no plan to move the Radikal, Solos, Klimax ExaktBox, etc. into new casework to match the new Organik KDSM.  The ExaktBox, as shown in the dealer Organik info, is still in the same chassis.  He said that being a source piece it is a unit that stands on its own and doesn't need to match the other items.  The original KDS/M are also to stay in the line for the time being.  With all that I wouldn't expect to see Radikal in that casework, at least not for a long time, if ever.  There is no need for that kind of space to keep analog and digital sections isolated like in the new KDSM and the Radikal is already mostly air inside already so I can't see the benefit of the larger case.

There is some credibility in this. Linn never put other components (exept Urika) into fruit boxes, after all. Probably, because Ivor ruled that the LP12 as a source device may have its own casework, err, plinth. 😜

21 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

With all that I wouldn't expect to see Radikal in that casework, at least not for a long time, if ever. 

With this information, I can take a step closer to going ahead and getting the Klimax cased Radikal. Thank you.

• Like 2

@akamatsu My honest opinion is if you would like to get the Klimax cased Radikal then do so.

1. Tried and true design an performance
  2. I like the design and would be happy to have it on display
  3. If you have an Akurate Radikal - work with your dealer and sell it to someone for a value added price and pay the difference. Everyone wins. 

My Linn dealer is 100% convinced it is a worthwhile update and I trust his opinion. 

• Like 5
On 28/03/2021 at 11:15, macfan said:

@akamatsu My honest opinion is if you would like to get the Klimax cased Radikal then do so.

1. Tried and true design an performance
  2. I like the design and would be happy to have it on display
  3. If you have an Akurate Radikal - work with your dealer and sell it to someone for a value added price and pay the difference. Everyone wins. 

My Linn dealer is 100% convinced it is a worthwhile update and I trust his opinion. 

I shall do so. I was just waiting for the Klimax announcement. I auditioned a couple of weeks ago. I may pay my taxes first, then see what's leftover.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Upvote 1
On 28/03/2021 at 20:15, macfan said:

I second your dealer. My dealer offered me the opportunity to audition the same LP12 equipped with:

- a used pre-Dynamik Radikal in the old pre-Majik box (matching my Chakra amp), The offer was to get this Dynamiked and with an unused motor - fair deal

- a Radikal in the Akurate case

- a Radikal in the Klimax case.

As we all know from my profile, Klimax did win. The used Radikal offer gave me some sleepless nights, as it was pricewise very attractive. Then I passed on the option to another happy client, who was second in line.

Finally, I decided that once knowing the SQ difference, I was already too spoiled, and would not enjoy a happy marriage without a Klimax 😁

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Finally, I decided that once knowing the SQ difference, I was already too spoiled, and would not enjoy a happy marriage without a Klimax 😁

That would be a double entendre. Which is French for two entendres. I stole that joke from the Winnipeg Comedy Festival. I won't be doing that again. :brick:

• Like 1
On 14/03/2021 at 16:33, DebsE said:

Ditto.

Once I have auditioned one against a Cirkus / Tiger Paw Tranquility combination (which is what I currently have).

I had a Circus etc the same as you and because of events have just had the Karousel fitted. I had no idea what I would hear when I got it home other than it should be far better but several days later I am still stunned at the improvements. Personally I would say dont bother to A/B its an insult to the Karousel and just do it. I absolutely 100% sure you will be as amazed as I am! If the improvement brought about by the Tranquility was to you 2/10 you will give the new bearing at least 30/10 infact you might give it even more. For me being in this hobby for over 50 years, (I have had 4 LP12's!) this is the most staggering upgrade I have ever experienced! Please lets us know what you end up doing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3