Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

4 hours ago, snatex said:

Do we have any idea why or how  the case around the Radikal impacts sound quality?

Maybe this can answer the question. I place three Harmonix footers under my A-Radikal case, the SQ improves enough to be easily noticeable. Isolating the case seems to be the answer.

7 hours ago, Daveyf said:

Maybe this can answer the question. I place three Harmonix footers under my A-Radikal case, the SQ improves enough to be easily noticeable. Isolating the case seems to be the answer.

Or maybe if you had a second person switching in and out the footers without your being able to see, the outcome would have been different?  I'm not trying to be snarky but controlled, blinded, experimentation is the only way to eliminate an kind of unconscious/unintended bias.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, snatex said:

Do we have any idea why or how  the case around the Radikal impacts sound quality?

The only words I've heard from Linn to explain this have been "acoustic isolation" which has been my suspicion.

3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

The only words I've heard from Linn to explain this have been "acoustic isolation" which has been my suspicion.

Acoustic isolation, rigidity, acoustic quality of the materials/metallurgy, assembly, torque in construction - it's a cumulative effect.   

• Like 1

On 26/12/2020 at 14:18, Jazz Kisaten said:

2020:  Made a few musically beneficial and cost effective (within the context of Linn $) move

• Would love to get a Karousel but can't bring myself to do it as the Cirkus is not even a year old.

DO IT!!!!!! The improvement is colossal! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 14/03/2021 at 16:33, DebsE said:

Ditto.

Once I have auditioned one against a Cirkus / Tiger Paw Tranquility combination (which is what I currently have).

That is exactly what i USED to have! Just do it, the improvements are massive!!!

• Like 1

I had no intentions of any changes this year but I have changed my centre speaker from Linn AV5120 to a Kudos Super 10A (so much better with my Super 20As) and now my Majik Exaktbox-I is with Linn for a Katalyst upgrade – so much for no uprades xD

• Haha 1

This year I have already replaced my power amps and had a Karousel fitted so now I am only going to replace my rack for a slightly different combination of shelves. i use an Ikea 1200mm wide Besta unit but will buy two single width units instead. The Besta is perfect as it is light and rigid which works best for me and the cost is only £65! Next year i hope to upgrade my Innuos server but I will have to wait and see.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Or maybe if you had a second person switching in and out the footers without your being able to see, the outcome would have been different?  I'm not trying to be snarky but controlled, blinded, experimentation is the only way to eliminate an kind of unconscious/unintended bias.

Lots of assumptions...

We did the swap in and out of the footers with a lady as the listener. She had no idea as to what was placed under the Radikal and no idea as to what we were attempting to listen for. This wasn't strictly a 'blind' test, as she could come and go as the swaps were being made ( and she could see the footers beneath the gear), but since she was not an a'phile, I think that her hearing acuity was probably better than ours! There was consistent improvement reported once the footers were inserted..and we actually went a step further, we even replaced the power cord to the Radikal ( so stock vs. aftermarket), which she also heard as different, but couldn't quite tell us what the differences were. Nonetheless, she did report that she preferred the after market power cord. ( No surprise to me there). BTW, Blind tests are really not my thing, too many ways to justify why they are superior...and why they are not.9_9

Edited by Daveyf

Assuming LP12 arrives in good shape, a Karousel and Trampolin2.

• Like 2

I just upgraded from Akurate Kontrol/0 - Akurate DS/0 - AV5125 - LK140 to Akurate Exakt DSM - Majik Exaktbox-i (on loan) to drive my AV5140s and the improvement is dramatic! I never thought the Exaktbox-i could properly drive the AV5140s but its been surprising me each day. Regrettably it can't be upgraded to Katalyst AFAIK so I'm considering an Akurate Exaktbox-6 or 10 which can be upgraded to either Katalyst or (hopefuly) Organik in the future, and use my existing amplifiers.

The Akurate DS/0 was 'demoted' to my office system (Naim Olive gear) replacing a Sonos ZP90, and the Akurate Kontrol (recently repaired by Linn) was passed over to a good friend at no cost.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Daveyf said:

Lots of assumptions...

We did the swap in and out of the footers with a lady as the listener. She had no idea as to what was placed under the Radikal and no idea as to what we were attempting to listen for. This wasn't strictly a 'blind' test, as she could come and go as the swaps were being made ( and she could see the footers beneath the gear), but since she was not an a'phile, I think that her hearing acuity was probably better than ours! There was consistent improvement reported once the footers were inserted..and we actually went a step further, we even replaced the power cord to the Radikal ( so stock vs. aftermarket), which she also heard as different, but couldn't quite tell us what the differences were. Nonetheless, she did report that she preferred the after market power cord. ( No surprise to me there). BTW, Blind tests are really not my thing, too many ways to justify why they are superior...and why they are not.9_9

what brand was the power cable? john

5 hours ago, vicdiaz said:

I just upgraded from Akurate Kontrol/0 - Akurate DS/0 - AV5125 - LK140 to Akurate Exakt DSM - Majik Exaktbox-i (on loan) to drive my AV5140s and the improvement is dramatic! I never thought the Exaktbox-i could properly drive the AV5140s but its been surprising me each day. Regrettably it can't be upgraded to Katalyst AFAIK so I'm considering an Akurate Exaktbox-6 or 10 which can be upgraded to either Katalyst or (hopefuly) Organik in the future, and use my existing amplifiers.

The Akurate DS/0 was 'demoted' to my office system (Naim Olive gear) replacing a Sonos ZP90, and the Akurate Kontrol (recently repaired by Linn) was passed over to a good friend at no cost.

Yes, the MEB-i drives the 5140s quite nicely doesn't it? I tried mine in the main Espek system here and was impressed, the Espeks are remaining 'analogue' though as I like the Kisto/5125s - and them I have the issue of matching in the subs - which then requires even more Exakt boxes.

My next upgrade though will be to replace the Majik Exaktbox-i with an Akurate Katalyst one. This will happen as soon as an ex-demo one moves into my cross-hairs! (and I've been looking for a while - they don't turn up every day).

6 hours ago, vicdiaz said:

The Majik Exaktbox-I can be upgraded to Katalyst - mine is with Linn for just this at the moment:D