Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

11 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

None as far as Linn is concerned.
This year I got myself a Harman Kardon and a Burmester system:D

Did the Burmeister come with 4 wheels attached? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, johni b said:

what brand was the power cable? john

A Zen Wave power cord. I highly recommend these cables from Dave.

9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

:D

I went for the Bose and 'sport exhaust' option instead - on the basis that with the latter, the Burmeister was a waste of time:D

On 07/07/2021 at 23:04, Daveyf said:

BTW, Blind tests are really not my thing, too many ways to justify why they are superior...and why they are not.9_9

Never heard of any credible reason "why they are not".

3 hours ago, sktn77a said:

Never heard of any credible reason "why they are not".

One reason that is expounded is the fact that the tester has the chance to modify the results without the subject being made aware. 

3 hours ago, Daveyf said:

One reason that is expounded is the fact that the tester has the chance to modify the results without the subject being made aware. 

If an individual doesn't want to trust their ears and their emotions if a particular tweak or component heightens one's emotional connection to music and subjectively improves the sound quality of their system, then an individual should feel free to go through the rigor of double blind testing to satisfy their curiosity.  I believe most people on this forum believe in the former method.  

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, mskaye said:

I believe most people on this forum believe in the former method.  

Well, there are such well know effects as placebo, expectation bias, etc, etc.

Just saying, having an almost 50 years research career, these effect can be quite insidious.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

Well, there are such well know effects as placebo, expectation bias, etc, etc.

Just saying, having an almost 50 years research career, these effect can be quite insidious.

While that is true, the negative implications of misguided research in pharmaceuticals impacts the health of the population.  In audio, the damage is a lighter wallet.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mskaye said:

In audio, the damage is a lighter wallet.   

Yup! :nerves:

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2021 at 20:56, Dasher said:

My next upgrade though will be to replace the Majik Exaktbox-i with an Akurate Katalyst one. This will happen as soon as an ex-demo one moves into my cross-hairs! (and I've been looking for a while - they don't turn up every day).

Well I've decided that ex-demo or whatever the  fashionable term for 'used' is just isn't happening with these things and so I've implemented Plan B of the  2021 upgrade path and ordered  a new AEB-i (K) - so I'll finally have a black one to match  the  rest of the boxes.

Silver MEB-i will shortly be available should anyone be looking.

• Like 2

Well.  After finally getting an LP12, it's been fitted with a Karousel and Trampolin2, along with an AT OC9XML, which I like a lot - it's good enough that I've held off on an ART9 or similar.  I was relieved when Rick said my Ekos1 had the best bearings he'd ever seen on one - whew!  Now to not screw them up!

Next will probably be a subchassis, and then probably a Lingo 3 or 4, depending on availability and price differential.  After that, probably a cartridge - the way I'm playing records the OC9 might need to be replaced, and, even if not, it would make a GREAT backup.  

• Like 3

Keel is being fitted next week by Peter @Cymbiosisthat will take the deck to Keel, Ekos SE, Urika, TP Khan, Shawline RCA to din with DVXX2 cartridge

the BIG one for next year if fiances allow will be TA Stileto, and having heard the deck this week on Kilmax Radikal that is another serious consideration

it's taken me 16 + years of LP12 ownership and enjoyed each upgrade

this was the path I went down

image.png.a114e3d974c9ad2a823f0fc7945f628e.png  

67228963_10217070314403574_5413311595159748608_n.jpg

Edited by Antz Davis
  • Like 3

Keel and Klimax Radikal on order with ETA of October and just took a flyer on an Lejonklou Entity 1.1 that should arrive much sooner. Figured if the Entity is awful I can sell off without too much loss.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Antz Davis said:

if fiances allow

An 'n' in the wrong place can have serious consequences to the finances!!

• Haha 2