Your 2020 Upgrades and plans for 2021

Super Wammer

In 2021, the only upgrade to my LP12 has been the Klimax cased Radikal to replace ARadikal. Last night, I did some listening to some familiar albums that I hadn't heard on the full spec LP12 and was blown away! A new music collection!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, akamatsu said:

In 2021, the only upgrade to my LP12 has been the Klimax cased Radikal to replace ARadikal. Last night, I did some listening to some familiar albums that I hadn't heard on the full spec LP12 and was blown away! A new music collection!

Akruate Radikal is very good indeed and real upgrade from my Lingo 4, but the Kilmax radikal is something else, in all the case work and isolation - the board is the same in both

• Like 2

Super Wammer
4 hours ago, Antz Davis said:

Akruate Radikal is very good indeed and real upgrade from my Lingo 4, but the Kilmax radikal is something else, in all the case work and isolation - the board is the same in both

It has been an ear opening experience for me, hearing the impact of the machined case. Linn are at that level of engineering where the acoustic isolation and resulting micro vibration reduction make such a profound difference.

• Like 2

My main LP12 is finally at its destination - a 21 year journey. I fitted a Keel today. I will never venture into  £4K cartridge territory and so the Ekos 2/Skale will remain the arm end-point. The Akurate Radikal matches all the other boxes and so I'm not chasing boxes where more has been milled out than retained and therefore, certainly for the foreseeable (and long term) future, the PS stays. I love the Uphorik and so that's a keeper, as is the Tiger Paw Top Plate. Karousel is now nicely broken in.

I can see the Delos becoming a Kleos one day, but they are consumables!

"Klimax Light" is a good place to be!

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations.  Karousel, Radikal, Keel, Ekos 2 is a great place to be with any decent cartridge on it.  If you are somewhere you have the option I would highly recommend you give the Lejonklou Entity 1.1 a listen compared to your Uphorik.  I think you would find it illuminating and not a very expensive upgrade once you sold the Uphorik.

Thanks Thomas - The Entity was on my list when I picked up the Uphorik (1.0 at that stage). As you know, I'm no stranger to Lejonklou Phono Stages, but I do like the Uphorik - it's with me for a (probably long) while! One of the Giaos will probably morph into a Slipsik one day though!

Hi all , I have an 1982 LP12 (Basik arm) and other than the valhalla upgrade shortly after it is unmolested - for some reason I still have the old power supply that was removed. It has been in a box unplayed for some time as I did not have the time/space to play LPs , but now I can . I looked into a Cymbiosis service and upgrade  which seems good value , but still quite a lot of money even with refurbed components . In the meantime I bought a project X1 to make sure I would love vinyl again and I do . My question is from where we are with the Linn upgrade path what are the upgrades have you valued most, the budget for my first step is £2kish with £500ish for a cartridge - in the past I used Ortofon MM and AT MC .

Thanks 

Alby

• Like 1

You are like;y to get a long thread running here Albi. It will be interesting to see how many posts it takes before you budget is blown!

I'll bite - but I'm making some assumptions: (a) you don't already have a Cirkus; (b) You don't intend jumping in and upgrading again for some time; (c) you are excluding the sums gained from selling on the parts that you remove and (d) it is £2K plus the £500 for the cartridge.

So with the above in mind, here goes:

New Karousel Bearing  (£750) and pre-owned Majik Chassis (circa £250)

Lingo 1 and a fresh recap: (circa £500)

Good used Ittok - preferably either serviced or inspected by Audio Origami (circa £650)

You should get back around £250-300) for the parts removed - which leaves you around £100ish spare. The spare cash isn't enough to buy you a used Kore (unless you do as below and reduce the cartridge spend - Majik  Chassis is good though). It could go towards a higher level Lingo but to be honest I've never heard a recapped Lingo 2 or 3 and even uncertain whether this is actually possible with the surface mount boards (which is why I would always go for a full recap L1). If the Plinth isn't corner braced then it could be sold on and the cash put to a corner braced one instead - but even if it is unbraced, and true, then it hasn't moved in 40 years, probably won't and keeping it keeps it your 'old' LP12!

Cartridge is personal choice and MM and MC options both well covered with £500  - I use an Ortofon 2M Black on my similarly specced  TT (Cirkus on mine though).

If you don't consider that there is any value in the parts removed then do the above upgrades and reduce the spend on the cartridge (AT 95M with a fancy profile stylus would be a good place to look - around £200).

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alby said:

Hi all , I have an 1982 LP12 (Basik arm) and other than the valhalla upgrade shortly after it is unmolested - for some reason I still have the old power supply that was removed. It has been in a box unplayed for some time as I did not have the time/space to play LPs , but now I can . I looked into a Cymbiosis service and upgrade  which seems good value , but still quite a lot of money even with refurbed components . In the meantime I bought a project X1 to make sure I would love vinyl again and I do . My question is from where we are with the Linn upgrade path what are the upgrades have you valued most, the budget for my first step is £2kish with £500ish for a cartridge - in the past I used Ortofon MM and AT MC .

Thanks 

Alby

Having had an LP12 of not too dissimilar vintage to yours up to a year ago, and having embarked upon a series of upgrades over the past year, I would unhesitatingly endorse @Dasher's approach.

I was thinking something similar with the exception of the Ittok (while I think this is a great arm, they are commanding ridiculous prices right now).  And then I got to thinking, for 2500 plus what you could get for your existing turntable(s), you could probably get a new Majik turntable, complete with new subchassis, Karousel bearing, Krane arm and Adikt cartridge,  new plinth with corner bolt, a nice new lid (without 40 years of scratches on it), the new motor and new arm cable and power cable.  

???????

Edit:

Edited by sktn77a
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Not to put a damper on this thread but I’m staying put for 2021. Nothing. I swear. 

did the machined rad plus urika 2 in 2020. Basta! 

Edited by arm
  • Like 3

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, arm said:

Not to put a damper on this thread but I’m staying put for 2021. Nothing. I swear. 

did the machined rad plus urika 2 in 2020. Basta! 

I think you may be able to hold out for four more months. 2022 will be a new year and a new LP12 upgrade thread. :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, sktn77a said:

I was thinking something similar with the exception of the Ittok (while I think this is a great arm, they are commanding ridiculous prices right now).  And then I got to thinking, for 2500 plus what you could get for your existing turntable(s), you could probably get a new Majik turntable, complete with new subchassis, Karousel bearing, Krane arm and Adikt cartridge,  new plinth with corner bolt, a nice new lid (without 40 years of scratches on it), the new motor and new arm cable and power cable.  

???????

I'm with you here.  The outlay is pretty much the same right ? Go for new and shiny and warrantied.  Sell the old one off unless you are really in love with the sound of an original LP12 (Linn isn't obviously so prevailing wisdom is upgrade the whole thing.). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I think you may be able to hold out for four more months. 2022 will be a new year and a new LP12 upgrade thread. :D

From your lips to Gods golden ears. 

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, mskaye said:

I'm with you here.  The outlay is pretty much the same right ? Go for new and shiny and warrantied.  Sell the old one off unless you are really in love with the sound of an original LP12 (Linn isn't obviously so prevailing wisdom is upgrade the whole thing.). 

I just checked. A new Majik LP12 is £3450. There may be enough left in the budget to add a Trampolin. I'm with you guys on this one. New is the way to go.

One question remains; what colour?