Jump to content

Airlink Standard Vs Conditioning Balanced Power Supply?


Psilonaught
 Share

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Psilonaught said:

Just resurrecting this thread. I've finally got round to ordering an Airlink balanced power supply. I went for a 2000VA standard version. I will add a RCD socket to the unit for safety :)

I have no idea if it will deliver any audible improvement, but if not I will return it! I will report back.

Well of course it won't deliver any improvement!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Muckplaster said:

Well of course it won't deliver any improvement!

Indeed.

From my recent streamer experiments, I've reminded myself how important it is to keep an open mind. I have a relatively critical ear, so I'll happily admit if I can't hear a difference. But that's up to me to decide. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/12/2020 at 14:18, Psilonaught said:

Does anyone know the difference in Airlink's products?? They are closed until the 4th so can't call them.

https://airlinktransformers.com/category/conditioning-balanced-power-supply

https://airlinktransformers.com/category/standard-balanced-power-supply

My dac, preamp, streamer and crossover draw around 200w so one of the Airlink standard balanced power supplies is sufficient. I will be powering my X3 power amps off the wall sockets.

Are the Conditioning Balanced Power Supply units a lot better? They are 1500VA minimum which is overkill for me.

I haven't had the time to read all the replies to your post sir .

But if you want to run your kit off a balanced transformer or an isolation transformer, then your entire chain has to run off the same. We can't have some components running on balanced supply, and the others on the wall sockets, even if everything is running off the same room mains grid. I've tried that before and ended up with huge ground loop induced hums. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My entire kit runs from my Airlink unit it’s the 7500 version ….huge & heavy 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

My entire kit runs from my Airlink unit it’s the 7500 version ….huge & heavy 

Iam actually out growing the power output of my current regenerator sir.

Before I got it, I tried using a continously variable transformer (CVT ) to stabilise the power, and then fed it to a seperate dedicated isolation transformer.  But that CVT buzzed like a bee :(. So shelved everything and went for a regenerator as a all in one solution. But I need more power output now.

So just was curious If the airlink transformers were really quiet. If so i could replace my regenerator with one of those :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've a 3kva Airlink with an RCD plugged into it. 

I wouldn't be without it - in fact, a few months ago I tried, thinking to free up some space (and some funds). Whoops, that didn't work out at all, it was reinstalled toot-sweet. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Iam actually out growing the power output of my current regenerator sir.

Before I got it, I tried using a continously variable transformer (CVT ) to stabilise the power, and then fed it to a seperate dedicated isolation transformer.  But that CVT buzzed like a bee :(. So shelved everything and went for a regenerator as a all in one solution. But I need more power output now.

So just was curious If the airlink transformers were really quiet. If so i could replace my regenerator with one of those :)

I used to have a PS Audio Power regenerator (P10) but whilst is was good at controlling the voltage I did not like the sound quality (it had a hard top end according to my ears). I now run the whole of my system off a balanced mains transformer and I love the sound. If one has high mains voltage then the balanced transformer can be made to correct that.

Mine is a PliXir , which looks great and sounds better but in a side by side comparison we proved that it was indistinguishable to the Airlink one that @MF 1000 owns.  I will however never ever take it out of my syestem.

PS, My PliXir is silent and so was @MF 1000’s Airlink when he brought it to my house (in a 7.5 ton truck) (joking).

Edited by Fourlegs
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

So just was curious If the airlink transformers were really quiet. If so i could replace my regenerator with one of those :)

My 3kva Airlink does hum to itself a little. But I have to be standing by it when the room is quiet to hear it. That's fine for me, but others in different situations (or those with OCD) may find it bothers them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 My Airlink only buzzes/hums when something on my ring main is potentially injecting some interference back into it ……Janes old colour inkjet printer used to make it go nuts ! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmm, yes, mine only hums intermittently. Maybe it's when the fridge is in its actively cooling phase? Or something. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

 My Airlink only buzzes/hums when something on my ring main is potentially injecting some interference back into it ……Janes old colour inkjet printer used to make it go nuts ! 

Our central heating pump can have influence as well  . . . .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, newlash09 said:

I haven't had the time to read all the replies to your post sir .

But if you want to run your kit off a balanced transformer or an isolation transformer, then your entire chain has to run off the same. We can't have some components running on balanced supply, and the others on the wall sockets, even if everything is running off the same room mains grid. I've tried that before and ended up with huge ground loop induced hums. 

I've not experienced that issue in the UK, I've mixed and matched equipment connected and not connected to my Airlink 3KVA with no problems. 

It's also work noting that you can choose input & output voltages. So if you have an over generous mains voltage (e.g 250v) you could reduce to 230v. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

I've not experienced that issue in the UK, I've mixed and matched equipment connected and not connected to my Airlink 3KVA with no problems. 

It's also work noting that you can choose input & output voltages. So if you have an over generous mains voltage (e.g 250v) you could reduce to 230v. 

Oh okay sir :)

But for some reason I've had severe hum issues when I tried in mine. Especially kit connected via RCA running on seperate mains would cause it. After using a larger extension board, and plugging everything into it, the hum diminished. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, wHIZZY said:

It's also work noting that you can choose input & output voltages. So if you have an over generous mains voltage (e.g 250v) you could reduce to 230v. 

That is worth emphasising. My mains is between 248V and 254V but usually at about 250V and getting a mains balanced transformer with 250V in and 230V out (for example) is a great way of curing that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just wondering if I should canx the 2VA version tomorrow morning and order a 3VA one...:dunno:

I am going to be using it with a preamp, streamer, dac, clock, DDC reclocker, DSP crossover, LAN, SPF to LAN converter and my KT88 quad monoblocks.... 

I doubt everything upstream of the amps will consume more than a couple of hundred VA though? The dac and pre are around 120VA as I checked with the designers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...