What Are The Biggest Challenges To Your Listening Room Setup?

7 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Yes. on the diagonal. I'm glad you picked up on that as I may not have been clear. To the side walls, you want to have a little bit of difference in the distances between left speaker and left wall, and right speaker and right wall. Mine are about one or two centimetres different, even though the front of my room is symmetrical around a fireplace. The difference is small enough that it isn't noticed visually.

Hmmm... left speaker to left wall (~50cm) and right speaker to right wall (~2.5m) is not something that I think I can do much about (due to room layout, presence of patio doors, etc). Even if I flip the layout through 90 degrees (which I had previously thought may be optimal for the hifi if not the furniture :-)) I would still have that issue - albeit reversed right-to-left.

• Like 1
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before this gets further out of hand, perhaps we should provide advice and comment on ONLY those things we have first-hand experience with. So, if you have actual tried product X, please discuss; if y

My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but powe

I think acoustic panelling is very interesting and can make a big difference but I believe needs to be done very carefully and subtlety I went to one professionally set up and built cinema room and th

Posted Images

Just now, Andyt916 said:

Hmmm... left speaker to left wall (~50cm) and right speaker to right wall (~2.5m) is not something that I think I can do much about (due to room layout, presence of patio doors, etc). Even if I flip the layout through 90 degrees (which I had previously thought may be optimal for the hifi if not the furniture :-)) I would still have that issue - albeit reversed right-to-left.

Again, it's my fault for not being clear. You are fine where you are. I was thinking of a room like mine that is symmetrical.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Geektastic said:

My wife....:minikev:

Speaking of wives, mine just told me about the stone wall behind the TV in her house in Japan. Apparently, it is a material specifically designed and made for acoustic diffusion. The living room is laid out for a TV, or hifi to set in front of the stone wall. The coolest thing is that it came with the house. That would never happen here in the USA.

This is where the new Majik, or possibly 520 system with Majik LP12 with slightly (majorly overly) used Akurate cased Radikal will go.

Edited by akamatsu
11 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

if you can get the speakers symmetrical in the room it will be better for you, but practicality will always be an issue. Symmetry means that you'll hear reflections from both speakers off the side walls in a consistent way.

Also I know this is obvious but 18" is a guide & starting point, you'll have to move them around to get the best sound, use tunedem.

I also personally really like the WASP method too, if you use it you should be able to see the effect of symmetry as well before even moving a speaker.

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread resurrection here (apologies if that's not the done thing) but... allied to other questions and musings... thanks to the suggestions of many on here, this is how my room is now arranged - and sounding noticeably improved (even the dog now knows when to vacate the chair :)). So, question is, would a pair of Linn Majik 140's be too big to occupy this space (in place of the current occupants that are ~75% of the size)? 

Lounge (2).png

Edited by Andyt916
  • Like 2

WAF 🥺😢

Just saw this mentioned above🥴

Someone in the stereo world should conduct studies to identify foolproof solutions to this common problem that don’t cost more than a full top spec Klimax kit😂😂👍

Edited by Eldarboy
17 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Bit of a thread resurrection here (apologies if that's not the done thing) but... allied to other questions and musings... thanks to the suggestions of many on here, this is how my room is now arranged - and sounding noticeably improved (even the dog now knows when to vacate the chair :)). So, question is, would a pair of Linn Majik 140's be too big to occupy this space (in place of the current occupants that are ~75% of the size)? 

Lounge (2).png

Perhaps not too big, but rather spending money on more bass when more bass isn't needed. I would think Majik 109s with the possibility to scale up with a subwoofer if more bottom end is desired. Bass from a subwoofer is a differenct experience from bass from the main speakers, in my experience. I have a Sizmik in a smallish room. It works.

18 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Lounge (2).png

As I recall from your earlier photos, the Majik 140’s would fit well into the room.

‘The ideal situation is to audition the 140’s in your home and see what you think 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Nice to read the the sound has improved in your room after the re-arrangement. I think M140 or as @akamatsu suggest M109 (plus sub if needed) are nice setups. But what are you missing in your Regas? Pure upgrade-itis is of course an acceptable excuse :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, HansBertil said:

Nice to read the the sound has improved in your room after the re-arrangement. I think M140 or as @akamatsu suggest M109 (plus sub if needed) are nice setups. But what are you missing in your Regas? Pure upgrade-itis is of course an acceptable excuse :)

I'm at a similar decision point. I was looking at M140s, but decided that M109s with the subwoofer option would be scalable and better for the same price. I don't anticipate ever needing a sub though. So in the end, cheaper.

I agree. Upgraditis is perfectly acceptable. Sometime the urge just fades away. Usually when you just listen to the music and stop thinking about the hifi.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, HansBertil said:

42 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I'm at a similar decision point. I was looking at M140s, but decided that M109s with the subwoofer option would be scalable and better for the same price. I don't anticipate ever needing a sub though. So in the end, cheaper.

I agree. Upgraditis is perfectly acceptable. Sometime the urge just fades away. Usually when you just listen to the music and stop thinking about the hifi.

Haha, to be honest it is a case of upgraditis :D. It's not so much that I feel anything is "missing" and, as far as the Regas are concerned, I auditioned those against quite a number of competitors and have always loved the sound they make. If I'm honest, the only real reason I'm thinking upgrade is I have a bunch of cash burning a hole in my pocket for the first time that I can recall for many years so got to thinking, why not? Maybe I should take a step back and address the upgraditis itch one step at a time.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

As I recall from your earlier photos, the Majik 140’s would fit well into the room.

‘The ideal situation is to audition the 140’s in your home and see what you think 

Thanks @Paulssurround, sound advice as always. I think the room itself is sufficiently large (approx 6m x 6m), just then when dining area and piano are taken into account the actual sitting / listening area is smaller (~ 3m x 4m) so I wondered if I was sitting a bit too close for them. As you suggest, I shall see if I can get a home audition.

20 minutes ago, Andyt916 said:

I think the room itself is sufficiently large (approx 6m x 6m), just then when dining area and piano are taken into account the actual sitting / listening area is smaller (~ 3m x 4m)

Much bigger than I thought from the photo. You should be able to accommodate pretty much any floor stander.

• Like 1