What Are The Biggest Challenges To Your Listening Room Setup?

There is a huge wall behind where we sit. Again, while I have a large collection of a friend’s paintings, and several of Kenny Wheeler with whom he became friends, that would all be great to improve the sound, none pass the WAF😢😳😂

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before this gets further out of hand, perhaps we should provide advice and comment on ONLY those things we have first-hand experience with. So, if you have actual tried product X, please discuss; if y

My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but powe

I think acoustic panelling is very interesting and can make a big difference but I believe needs to be done very carefully and subtlety I went to one professionally set up and built cinema room and th

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Eldarboy said:

SNAP....CRACKLE...POP

That's not the LP12, but the record 😜

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

That seems like the best solution to me as well.  😊🙏

Please post photos, as you go through this process, so we can follow along.

I do believe your speakers will benefit from being pulled away from the wall a bit more, at least 20-30 cm

Thanks to @Paulssurround, @TooManyCatweazles & @HansBertil I have been converted from a sceptic to a believer! Acting on their advice I moved the speakers apart, closer to the TV, which opened up the soundstage a little. I also move them forward - 20cm from the back wall - and tried one of my Cat A reference albums. The bass was enhanced to a level I'd not experienced with these speakers, the top end treble was fine, but I'd lost that mid-range melody that i love. A quick experiment shuffling the speakers out a couple for centimetres more (now 22cm from back wall) was a revelation; everything just snapped back into place! Thanks to these guys I'm now looking forward to further tweaking and moving the room around!

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Andyt916 said:

Thanks to @Paulssurround, @TooManyCatweazles & @HansBertil I have been converted from a sceptic to a believer! Acting on their advice I moved the speakers apart, closer to the TV, which opened up the soundstage a little. I also move them forward - 20cm from the back wall - and tried one of my Cat A reference albums. The bass was enhanced to a level I'd not experienced with these speakers, the top end treble was fine, but I'd lost that mid-range melody that i love. A quick experiment shuffling the speakers out a couple for centimetres more (now 22cm from back wall) was a revelation; everything just snapped back into place! Thanks to these guys I'm now looking forward to further tweaking and moving the room around!

Great job!!!

You are on the way to better musical enjoyment 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Newton John said:

The biggest challenge to my listening room setup is my wife. She insists the sofa be placed close to the rear wall. Ideally, I’d move it nearer to the loudspeakers for optimum stereo separation. 

Time to call upon your inner interior designer.

I’m sure she would love to have some nice big plants behind the sofa to give the room a more natural look and aesthetic. She gets to dress up the room and you get your sofa moved forward.          

Alternatively, if you do get your surround speakers, they need to go behind the couch.   😉

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

‘However, in her honour I strive to help as many people as I can.

Given what you've done I think she'll be really proud of you

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

which brings me to a business idea: The favourite photograph printed on an absorber should be the audiophile's ultima ratio. 😉

GIK Acoustics have beaten you to it I'm afraid:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/acoustic-art-panels/

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, MartinC said:

GIK Acoustics have beaten you to it I'm afraid:

https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/acoustic-art-panels/

With URL forwarding to a German domain (based on my IP, or language preference in the browser?), and showing a phone number in Frankfurt/M. 

I'll have a look at the Frankenfurters ;-)

Thx for sharing @MartinC!

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Unfortunately, GIK do not offer a service to print someones own photographs. They should form a joint venture with cewe, Europe's largest photo 'lab'. cewe already have the web interface for uploading, and a huge customer base. A friend worked with cewe, until they closed down the 'analog' business in their Bad Schwartau facility.

Still room for a man in the middle?

Edited by TooManyCatweazles

Here are some pictures:

https://hofa-akustik.de/akustikmodule/akustikbild/#motiv

They also print your individual photos.

Edited by Ben Webster
50 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

Unfortunately, GIK do not offer a service to print someones own photographs. 

The UK link I posted suggested that they do? I've no idea about the German one you seem to have been redirected too though.

https://hofa-akustik.de/akustikmodule/akustikbild/#motiv

Is anyone here seriously considering using something like this?

2 hours ago, Johannes said:

Is anyone here seriously considering using something like this?

Yes, see my post above. A friend of mine has some elements (absorber and diffuser) and is very happy with them.

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The question is what he uses them for. Sorry, that was a good one.

But on the subject, what do you actually have Linn for, apparently not to experience music.

• Confused 1