What Are The Biggest Challenges To Your Listening Room Setup?

2 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

You have awoken the three year old girl in him. Well done!

Is the third three-year-old girl in a few days.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before this gets further out of hand, perhaps we should provide advice and comment on ONLY those things we have first-hand experience with. So, if you have actual tried product X, please discuss; if y

My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but powe

I think acoustic panelling is very interesting and can make a big difference but I believe needs to be done very carefully and subtlety I went to one professionally set up and built cinema room and th

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I think there are people here who would really benefit from getting rid of all the tweaks that go against common knowledge of hifi, and just go back to the basics.

You’re so right.

I don’t want to judge others systems without haven’t heard it. And I’m far away from wanting to attack anyone, but when I see a LP12 sitting on a glas rack in the corner of a room, I can understand, that people want to tweak their system.

• Haha 1
Just now, Johannes said:

Beautifully said - that's exactly what I think too. @Ben Webster we are not far apart.
For me it is difficult to write what I mean in English, I use Deepl. I think that's where a lot of misunderstandings come from.

I appreciate your contributions here. Please keep it up. I grew up in a bilingual environment, so I'm rather good at understanding English that isn't quite perfect. Fortunately, your ideas seem to be based on sound fundamentals, and are easy to follow.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Johannes said:

I think that's where a lot of misunderstandings come from.

Could be. And our German humor is also very special.

I should write under every post:

”no offense & sorry, I’m German “ 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

You’re so right.

I don’t want to judge others systems without haven’t heard it. And I’m far away from wanting to attack anyone, but when I see a LP12 sitting on a glas rack in the corner of a room, I can understand, that people want to tweak their system.

I've heard some of them.

Now I get exactly what you are saying about the turntable set up. But I doubt that many do.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your kind words. At least someone likes me here.
Maybe I'm still too impatient and often don't keep my mouth shut when I read nonsense.

Let's see when wisdom comes to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whenever I read these Over Tweakings I see the picture of an LP12 we got in the old Linn distribution, as the bottom was completely foamed out with assembly foam.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Johannes said:

At least someone likes me here.

I wouldn’t say “like” ... 😜😜😜😇

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Thank you very much for your kind words. At least someone likes me here.
Maybe I'm still too impatient and often don't keep my mouth shut when I read nonsense.

Let's see when wisdom comes to me.

I was speaking with a Linn dealer the other day. He said that most people on the forum are not interested in having discussions that achieve some sort of truth, but are rather interested in pushing their own agendas. However, there are some of us who have scientific minds and are very interested in furthering the collective knowledge. Thank goodness that there are people, like the engineers at Linn, who know far more than I do.

It's best to counter nonsense with simple facts. I learned this as an engineer, that is, to let the facts do the talking. Also, cite a reference for information. Anyone can make an assertion with no verification. But it is totally meaningless.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

I wouldn’t say “like” ... 😜😜😜😇

Most of the time, yes. :)

In the past we did also a lot of senseless tweaks (recognized it sometimes a few days after) because we thought, we can do it better than Linn. But this does not mean that also Linn can improve some things (e. g. communicate the right torque setting for the Karousel).

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

I was speaking with a Linn dealer the other day. He said that most people on the forum are not interested in having discussions that achieve some sort of truth, but are rather interested in pushing their own agendas. However, there are some of us who have scientific minds and are very interested in furthering the collective knowledge. Thank goodness that there are people, like the engineers at Linn, who know far more than I do.

Yes, I fear that too. One could perhaps extend "who have scientific minds" to musical receptivity and receptivity. I think or know that many more people have the receptivity than we think.

It is much nicer for a dealer to work with new, unbiased customers. To see what music can do to people.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Yes, I fear that too. One could perhaps extend "who have scientific minds" to musical receptivity and receptivity. I think or know that many more people have the receptivity than we think.

It is much nicer for a dealer to work with new, unbiased customers. To see what music can do to people.

In the same conversation, the dealer also said that many people on the forum buy their Linn equipment used, and don't have access to a dealer as a result. This is unfortunate, as over the past 33 years, I've found the dealers to be the best source for information and expertise. I would recommend reaching out to a nearby dealer, and establishing a relationship. Dealers sell used equipment too.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

In the same conversation, the dealer also said that many people on the forum buy their Linn equipment used, and don't have access to a dealer as a result. This is unfortunate, as over the past 33 years, I've found the dealers to be the best source for information and expertise. I would recommend reaching out to a nearby dealer, and establishing a relationship. Dealers sell used equipment too.

I could not agree more, and already mentioned elsewhere, that I consider a good dealer a very important part of a Linn system. This is also a differentiator to most other brands. One of my biggest fears is, that my dealer might retire some day - he's of the same age than myself. What am I going to do then? It's not that there are no other dealers within reach. I have a HiFi dealer close by, and he carries Linn as well. When the Lingo 4 was launched, I took my partner and we went to the launch event. We left early, cause we did not like the atmosphere. To much 'audiophile chatter', a completely different kind of customers. We did not enjoy being there.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

One of my biggest fears is, that my dealer might retire some day

Two of my dealers retired this year 😟

Now I hope there‘re not too many changes in the future. 
A friend of mine can do the LP12 service. In the Digital area I can help myself.

So for now I’ll focus on listening to music.

• Like 2