What Are The Biggest Challenges To Your Listening Room Setup?

2 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Well parallel to the starting flame war I will add my 2 cents and try to get this topic back on track... B|

Please see my living room. Essentially my listening area is a 4x4 meter box, not ideal I can tell, tried to set up on the small wall, but this gave me te same problem whilst also obstructing my view.

I’m not sure which Hz my problem exactly is, but I have some tracks which where really unlistenable due to the overblown bass. I experimented with: shifting furniture, adding a matras as absorber, tried every wall for the set-up. Really frustrating period because already purchased the M140’s second hand.. All in all the situation led me to a MDSi betting my cash on SO which really delivers in my case.

7F1D710E-94FF-4281-8D7B-2156224CE787.jpeg

Ich könnte mir mal ihr SO2 anschauen, ich könnte wohl helfen so einen Raum habe ich vor einiger Zeit gemacht.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before this gets further out of hand, perhaps we should provide advice and comment on ONLY those things we have first-hand experience with. So, if you have actual tried product X, please discuss; if y

My plan is to move the TV and speakers to the left, and through 90 degrees, so they are facing the piano, firing left-to-right as it were as per the photo. It's a big, blank wall with nothing but powe

I think acoustic panelling is very interesting and can make a big difference but I believe needs to be done very carefully and subtlety I went to one professionally set up and built cinema room and th

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Johannes said:

Ich könnte mir mal ihr SO2 anschauen, ich könnte wohl helfen so einen Raum habe ich vor einiger Zeit gemacht.

translation for the lazy as I was doing it anway:)

"I could have a look at your SO2, I could probably help. I made such a room some time ago."

very kind offer 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

I met PaulSurround in front of a Komri Exakt system with four Twins doing SO1 optimization.

We listen to Peggy Lee and I mentioned, that she isn’t sexy enough. He changed two or three parameters and Peggy was as sexy as I expected.

So I guess, Paul is knowing what he’s doing. And he’s listening very carefully.

I respect him even I’m not convinced that all tweaks are working with my system.

E. g. GUNSTIG is a no-go in my system.

And also the way some people use SO as an equalizer is not my cup of tea (ok, I have no SO).

But again: I respect different views and would judge it as “wrong” or “nonsens”.

Piece...

Thank you Ben Webster, for your kind comments.

‘It was great to meet you at Frank’s wonderful home with his Komris, as well as your beautiful home with your Komris. Truly outstanding, with great care placed with each step you have taken to build your Linn system. As you don’t have a Linn streamer, I was not able to do SO on your system, but I am not sure you would have wanted me to play with it anyway.

‘Given that you have each of your HiFi  components on Time Tables, I can understand that the Gunstigs would mess up the timing. For many of the rest of us mere mortals, Gunstigs can be very helpful

Enjoy the music

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Johannes said:

Ihre Hilfe wird immer noch geschätzt, aber jetzt ist alles richtig eingestellt :geek: 

As I work for a German company I have a sleight advantage...

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

By aligning yourself with Akamatsu’s negativity and attacks, you lose credibility with the knowledge that you have gained from lifetime of being in the industry. Also your attitude that we are all wrong is incredibly disrespectful and has no basis of fact. It makes you look very close minded, and some may perceive that style of posting as a know it all. 

@akamatsu has written many true things in this thread. I agree with that, and why not? I'm not in favour of watering things down, it doesn't help anyone.
It's hard to believe but I know roughly how it sounds with you but you and I will probably no longer come to the same tonal denominator. I would even say that we have tried many more things here and have built up a wealth of experience that is tested by several people and can also be put into perspective.

Sentences like "you shouldn't listen to people who have no idea" don't come from me. But I also want to be able to express my opinion without watering things down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

Well parallel to the starting flame war I will add my 2 cents and try to get this topic back on track... B|

Please see my living room. Essentially my listening area is a 4x4 meter box, not ideal I can tell, tried to set up on the small wall, but this gave me te same problem whilst also obstructing my view.

I’m not sure which Hz my problem exactly is, but I have some tracks which where really unlistenable due to the overblown bass. I experimented with: shifting furniture, adding a matras as absorber, tried every wall for the set-up. Really frustrating period because already purchased the M140’s second hand.. All in all the situation led me to a MDSi betting my cash on SO which really delivers in my case.

7F1D710E-94FF-4281-8D7B-2156224CE787.jpeg

You've got a similar problem to me. SO helped me a lot as well.

Can you give examples of which tracks are unlistenable? that will help to identify which frequencies are causing a problem - bass traps were a real help for me.

Have you tried reversing the listening position and the speakers? what's the little area in the bottom right that sticks out? seems odd....

how close are your speakers to the wall? how close is the listening position to the wall? Pulling your listening position away from the rear wall might help.

I would try moving the speakers out a bit wider so the right is nearer to the right hand wall, also play around with the positioning from the rear wall, too close will reinforce the bass at certain frequencies.

1 minute ago, Johannes said:

@akamatsu has written many true things in this thread. I agree with that, and why not? I'm not in favour of watering things down, it doesn't help anyone.
It's hard to believe but I know roughly how it sounds with you but you and I will probably no longer come to the same tonal denominator. I would even say that we have tried many more things here and have built up a wealth of experience that is tested by several people and can also be put into perspective.

Sentences like "you shouldn't listen to people who have no idea" don't come from me. But I also want to be able to express my opinion without watering things down.

You should speak your mind. You have good ideas that are fundamentally sound, as I've said before. I too have much experience with Linn hifi, and am an engineer, and have always looked at things hifi from the standpoint of cause and effect. I have been subjected to cyber bullying on this forum. I see very similar behavior on TV by Trump. If you don't agree, you are immediately discredited. Pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Phobic said:

You've got a similar problem to me. SO helped me a lot as well.

Can you give examples of which tracks are unlistenable? that will help to identify which frequencies are causing a problem - bass traps were a real help for me.

Have you tried reversing the listening position and the speakers? what's the little area in the bottom right that sticks out? seems odd....

how close are your speakers to the wall? how close is the listening position to the wall? Pulling your listening position away from the rear wall might help.

I would try moving the speakers out a bit wider so the right is nearer to the right hand wall, also play around with the positioning from the rear wall, too close will reinforce the bass at certain frequencies.

Try: Birch tree from Foals, Tin pan ally from SRV and No harm from editors.

The thing sticking out is just the shape of the room, above that “thing” is my balcony. 

I tried the set-up on every side before SO. I settled on the current  wall for the benefit of the view and overal live-ability and will keep it like so. So far SOv2 lives up to my expectations. 

last week I took some more time to determine the ideal listing position via tune dem to get a more akurate SO set up and my speakers ended up with 1.2m measured from the wall to the front of the speakers, to give some perspective the distance from the front to back wall is 4.2m 

Before SO the only way to tame the bass was by bunging the speakers with sock’s. These where military grade socks BTW which I obtained from past occupation.

@Pennypacker I have a 4 m long room. My problem mode is roughly at 42 Hz. And 42 Hz is abot the frequency of the lowest sting (E1) on an electric bass guitar. I.e., not uncommon in music.

1 minute ago, HansBertil said:

@Pennypacker I have a 4 m long room. My problem mode is roughly at 42 Hz. And 42 Hz is abot the frequency of the lowest sting (E1) on an electric bass guitar. I.e., not uncommon in music.

I’m not familiar with music notes to say the least.. 

A non Linn system owner here but this seemed like an interesting topic, so...

My room (dirty cat paw prints are not to scale) and set up.

C54F7C13-CFBC-45CB-AD46-E3C9BE06E752.thumb.jpeg.50bd54dc07ce5e4e9ad106967e4aa33c.jpeg

49989097466_c6fad098ca_k.jpg

My system is located on the wall at the top of my floor plan. I run a 5.0 surround system so the rear speakers are behind my sofa in the bay window recess (bottom of floor plan).

Over the years I have tried speakers either side of the fireplace, speakers in and either side of the the bay window recess. Every set up had its compromises, either for music or movie use, with the current set up having the fewest. 

• Like 3

I don't think there is any need for anyone to feel threatened here. Just present your ideas/assertions and back them up with at least some evidence. This can be discussed, in a factual, scientific way. The result of this discussion should be a better way to do hifi. It is not unreasonable that on the Linn forum, if someone presents a tweak that goes directly against Linn's recommendation, with no verification to back it up, there may be some follow up questions. This is not a personal attack. Just the facts please.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, Blackmetalboon said:

A non Linn system owner here but this seemed like an interesting topic, so...

My room (dirty cat paw prints are not to scale) and set up.

C54F7C13-CFBC-45CB-AD46-E3C9BE06E752.thumb.jpeg.50bd54dc07ce5e4e9ad106967e4aa33c.jpeg

49989097466_c6fad098ca_k.jpg

My system is located on the wall at the top of my floor plan. I run a 5.0 surround system so the rear speakers are behind my sofa in the bay window recess (bottom of floor plan).

Over the years I have tried speakers either side of the fireplace, speakers in and either side of the the bay window recess. Every set up had its compromises, either for music or movie use, with the current set up having the fewest. 

Those B&W behemoths remain impressive. Seems like quit a puzzle to get it working altogether with al the recessed walls.

Edited by Pennypacker
To fast on the trigger

I live in an old building where there are no right angles, and some odd shapes.
Space Optimisation seems to work fine.
image.png.b4281adb00c3e1b5966a5b59e4ec4668.png