Possible sound improvement through "rotation" in SO2

Johannes

To calculate the angle in SO2 (rotation), you have to calculate or measure it. I am attaching an Excel table here with which you can easily solve this.
Now the values are with decimal places. Since SO2 only allows integers, you have to round them up or down.

My angle is 2.58 degrees for the Akubaric and I had rounded this value up to 3 degrees. Now someone told me that he tends to round down, which seemed to make sense to me.
The auditory result of rounding down to 2 degrees was that the treble became sharper and that it was slightly veiled. I was very surprised at how big this difference was.
We had this tested by 3 other people and they all came to the same conclusion. There was one case where rounding down was better, the angle was 0.6 I think.

Unfortunately, I cannot say if the angle is less than 2.5 whether rounding off is better.

IMPORTANT: If your speaker is not available, simply enter the width of the front edge of the speaker at any listed speaker.

Winkel_berechnen_new1.xlsx

Edited by Johannes
  • Like 2

My Akubariks are at 0 degrees, no toe-in. I made this adjustment early on in order to tame a bit of brightness. It did work. I have thought about toe-in, but really don't see a need to do so.

Thanks for this table Johannes

I downloaded it on my iPad for the English table, but it does not allow me to enter values to do the calculation.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

My speakers are toed in. From the front corners of the baffle on my Akubariks, it is 80 cm and 85 cm to the front wall.

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Thanks for this table Johannes

I downloaded it on my iPad for the English table, but it does not allow me to enter values to do the calculation.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

My speakers are toed in. From the front corners of the baffle on my Akubariks, it is 80 cm and 85 cm to the front wall.

Hmmh it could be that it is write-protected, but I have not selected that. I'll check that.

So your angle is 13.774 degrees, it should be entered with +14 degrees and -14 degrees.
Of course you can also test 13 degrees. It would be nice if you would post your experience.

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

My Akubariks are at 0 degrees, no toe-in. I made this adjustment early on in order to tame a bit of brightness. It did work. I have thought about toe-in, but really don't see a need to do so.

We always slant them by at least 1 cm as standard to prevent standing waves on the sides, so if you did this with TuneDem it will probably be right for you.

The angle at 1 cm difference to the back wall is 2.729 with the Akubarik, so +3 degrees and -3 degrees would be good if you want to test it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johannes said:

Winkel_berechnen.xlsxTo calculate the angle in SO2 (rotation), you have to calculate or measure it. I am attaching an Excel table here with which you can easily solve this.
Now the values are with decimal places. Since SO2 only allows integers, you have to round them up or down.

My angle is 2.58 degrees for the Akubaric and I had rounded this value up to 3 degrees. Now someone told me that he tends to round down, which seemed to make sense to me.
The auditory result of rounding down to 2 degrees was that the treble became sharper and that it was slightly veiled. I was very surprised at how big this difference was.
We had this tested by 3 other people and they all came to the same conclusion. There was one case where rounding down was better, the angle was 0.6 I think.

Unfortunately, I cannot say if the angle is less than 2.5 whether rounding off is better.

Winkel_berechnen_neu.xlsx 9.61 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for this tool...appreciated!:^

• Like 1

Hmmh I can't enter any values with Excel either. I created it with Calc. Unfortunately, you can't upload an .odf here.
It's a real mystery to me, so I deleted MS Office first. And uploaded the file again.

Hi Johannes,

This file is totally useless!

Why? Because Komris are missing. 😛

Just kidding. 

And yes, you‘re right. Komri-User don‘t need such a tool.

Attached find my findings, but these  values are only for my room. With different room dimensions (and different ears) the values will be different.

position komris.pdf

Edited by Ben Webster

10 hours ago, Johannes said:

To calculate the angle in SO2 (rotation), you have to calculate or measure it. I am attaching an Excel table here with which you can easily solve this.

Winkel_berechnen_new1.xlsx 10.02 kB · 0 downloads

great tool thanks, I'd thought about doing this myself.

previously I'd been using my phone to measure but it's a bit tricky as you must make sure it's parallel to the wall to get a good reading.

this is a much better way to do things!

37 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Hi Johannes,

This file is totally useless!

Why? Because Komris are missing. 😛

Just kidding. 

And yes, you‘re right. Komri-User don‘t need such a tool.

Attached find my findings, but these  values are only for my room. With different room dimensions (and different ears) the values will be different.

position komris.pdf 79.85 kB · 4 downloads

IMPORTANT: If your speaker is not available, simply enter the width of the front edge of the speaker at any listed speaker.

I don't know how to calculate this with your measured values, I'm really too stupid. This is where I got it: