First of all: I am not a computer expert (at all!). Now the questions: what would be the best way to store ripped CD's and other music files? At a separate server somewhere, but then you need a backup somehow. Or via Itunes Match? Does somebody have experience with this Apple service?
At the moment I use Linn Kazoo, Minimserver and a late 2012 Mac Mini server to store the files, but I will run out of space shortly.

Thnx in advance for your help!

Peter, 

first of all: whatever you do - under all circumstances avoid to bring apple-whatsoever software in contact with your Hi-res-files! It will destroy them and you’ll end up with mp3!!!! I am speaking from my own sad experience - a lot of frustration lies behind me.

That being said: I recommend a Server with enough storage for the next years ahead for your music and possibly your movies and TV-shows if you have those or intend to store some.

It’s relatively easy to set up - basically you install the server, add the files and plug and play them using your Linn App/Kazoo.

In my case, I use a Qnap Server on which I run Twonky Media, a software that makes the files appear in you Linn App/Kazoo. 

But that’s just one solution, plenty of which I’m sure you’re about to read here soon.

Best,

Alex

• Like 1

I also use a Qnap NAS (HS-251+) on one system. However, it requires a little knowledge to set it up and then maintain your music Library. The music server app I use is MinimServer. 

An easier option might be to buy a  Windows desktop PC and use this to store your music library which can be backed up to OneDrive or another cloud service.  You can then run Kazoo Server on the PC as your music server (it has its limitations, but it works more or less straight out of the box). Bear in mind that you want the NAS or PC to be located somewhere that you do not hear the fan. 

I’m very impressed with the Innuos Zen mk3 - total doddle to operate, just slot the disc in and hey presto! I have it linked to my Akurate hub via Ethernet, feeding exact 530 speakers. All works seamlessly with Kazoo.

@PeterHawks

Hi Peter,

Data Storage and Backup Strategy

my music files are all being stored on a 2-bay NAS (Synology 218+) in RAID 1 mode, i.e. the 2 x 6TB HD drives on the NAS (file size of the music library is about 1.5 TB) are mirrored and have identical content. 

Each night the contents are backed up in the Cloud (I am using C2 service from Synology) plus I make regular backups of the music library to an external HD via USB.

Media Server

Like many other users here I have Roon subscription for accessing my media library.

Roon requires a pretty decent CPU (computer) to run the Roon Server which Roon calls „Roon core“.

This can be basically any computer but the CPU of a NAS is usually a bit too weak for this purpose.

I am using a NUC computer to run the Roon core (with the music stored on the NAS) but a Mac Mini can also be used.

Jens

• Like 1

If your Mac Mini has a spare USB socket, you could just add an USB external drive for your music files. That should be a lot cheaper than a NAS. Just make sure you have adequate back ups, regardless of which option you decide on.

I found the only significant advantage of the NAS is that in the event of a single drive failure it still works. Ironically, in thirteen years of using four-bay NASs, I've never had a drive failure. Nevertheless, it's still essential to keep back ups. I needed them when my old ReadyNAS failed completely.

Edited by Newton John
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Yes expand your Mac Mini with an additional portable HD would be the first step you can do (if you have an USB port free). Depending on the stuff that you are using or going to use, you might want to change/upgrade the Mac Mini.

Instead of a NAS i bought a NUC (Intel mini PC) with external HD's. The main advantage of this setup is that you have more CPU power for less money than you would have with a NAS. To run Roon and Plex server you need sufficient power and memory, and buying a NAS to support this would have been relatively more expensive. 

• Upvote 2

sorry for being a nerd but that's what happens when you get your first computer at age of 8

-Buy reliable used desktop workstation with server chipset like HP Z440 (6xSATA)

-Buy Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 or newer license from ebay (Windows 10 also ok but comes with a lot of crap)

-Buy SSD for OS

-Buy 2TB-4TB 5400RPM or 5900 RPM NAS HDD's 

-format NTFS to make files accessible later if HDD is moved or other HW fails

-format 4TB HDD with 2TB partitions if you use Google Drive 2TB account for backup for example (partition size = Google Account size)

-5.25" dock for HDD's, you can easily take HDD's with you when visiting a friend (primary HDD in front, backup HDD inside)

-Buy Twonky to make FLAC's visible in local network and browse by Folder if your files do not have correct metadata 

-Download free Microsoft Synctoy and mirror music folders to other local HDD's or to other computers in your local network 

-monitor HDD's with CrystalDiskInfo or similar

-DO NOT create RAID

-DO NOT use Qnap or Synology especially RAID (if RAID fails to recover all you music files are probably gone)

-Control with BubbleDS

- Xrecode3 is nice tool to rip/convert CD's (manual work needed) and convert SACD images to .dsf or 24/176 PCM (if DS is using SO)

I use this setup for my Klimax DSM

Edited by tpalm
  • Upvote 4

DO NOT use Qnap or Synology especially RAID (if RAID fails to recover all you music files are probably gone)

it is essential, even with an NAS (and a RAID or JBOD) to have a Back-Up   !

Concerning ripping CD's I find "dBpoweramp Music Converter" (available on the Linn site) very easy and useful, also for correcting metadata.

Concerning streaming I mostly use MinimServer. It is very fast, and doesn't use a lot of RAM memory. Roon is also OK if you want further information, but it uses a lot more memory, and is a little bit less useful on a small screen. I didn't like KazooServer. 

• Upvote 2

You've probably ruled this out already but just in case I assume you've considered whether just using say Qobuz instead might be a viable alternative for you? It won't be for everyone but it's existence means I see no reason to start ripping all of my CDs or worrying how to manage all of the files...

Edited by MartinC
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, tpalm said:

-DO NOT create RAID

-DO NOT use Qnap or Synology especially RAID (if RAID fails to recover all you music files are probably gone)

Welcome on this forum  @tpalm 😀

With all due respect I disagree with you:

There is nothing wrong with using a Qnap or Synology NAS for media storage but you still have to implement a proper backup strategy.

Same with RAID: Depending on the RAID level RAID might increase redundancy and therefore security: I am running the NAS with RAID 1, i.e. mirroring both HDDs. I cannot see what is wrong with this as my music files will still be accessable even if one HDD fails. Ofcourse RAID 1 doesn‘t help you in case both drives fail simultaneously for whatever reason and a proper backup strategy is still a MUST.

Jens

• Like 1

Like @tpalm I would go the Microsoft Server road.

- Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016 or 2019

- Server Board

- small OS-SSD (32 GB or 64 GB)

- Music SSD or HDD (2,5“)

- Linear Power Supply 

For the network an Intel 210 onboard or PCIe card is perfect.
You can increase the musicality dramatically when invest in parts from JCat:

- Intel 350 PCIe Netcard

- SATA cable

A switch with LPS between PC and DS.

And many many more things ...

Edited by Ben Webster
  • Like 1

There are also special tools for a Windows based server:

- AudiophilOptimizer https://www.highend-audiopc.com/audiophile-optimizer

- Lasso https://bitsum.com

- Fidelizer https://fidelizer-audio.com

- MinorityClean http://www.mics.ne.jp/~cdorya/MinorityClean/#download

• Like 1

@PeterHawks

Despite your statement 

First of all: I am not a computer expert (at all!)

you have received some quite advanced recommendations (including mine:doh:) which will require more advanced computer skills.

Forget what I said about NAS and Roon 😜

Just adding an external HDD via USB to your Mac Mini as proposed by @frans5508 and @Newton John will be a good first step and increase storage capacity. Just ensure that you are making regular backups.

Minimserver is a very nice tool and there is no need to change if you are happy with it😄

Jens