Do You Use A Hospital Grade Electrical Outlet?

20 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Just wondering if you have installed a hospital grade electrical outlet receptacles for your HiFi system? 

My original electrical outlets were from a home renovation store and cost maybe $1.50 each. They are made cheaply, of poor construction, meeting an absolutely minimal electrical code and have a mixture of conductive metals of dubious origin. 

I installed 2  hospital grade plugs (Shunyata SR-Z1) several years ago. Hospital grade plugs provide a better fit for the sockets and a more secure fit, and are well constructed with all copper internal components. I also noticed a very moderate improvement in sound quality 

‘There are many brands of hospital grade plugs available. 

I use Oyaide outlets. Noticeable improvement.  Upgraded power cables (on amps and selected source components, better outlets and simple, unfiltered power strips like the AVOPTIONS Super Wiremold or the Shunyata Venom PS8 are foundational improvements that people should invest in.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, although I believe it is OK to use them if you wear a mask whilst listening to your music. FYI, in the UK we have decent sockets as standard

That a good observation, Paul, I’m not sure that electricity has an inherent quality that makes its source important.    However, it’s entirely plausible that, given the huge number of devices,

Shunyata make a power conditioner that sells for thousands of dollars. Someone copied it for about $100. This may give a clue as to the mark up. Seeing a photo of the innards, there were about 8 elect

Posted Images

I do use hospital grade receptacles for my stereo equipment. They cost about four times as much as regular receptacles at the electricians' supply shop. While they are made with better metals, they also have a tighter fit than standard receptacles. Hospital equipment machine suppliers and leasing companies in North America insist on their use for both of those reasons; as well, they insist on the use of power conditioners in order to guarantee the readings a stability of their equipment. [I have disused this previously elsewhere and have had they nay-sayers pounce, so let's not entertain this aspect: just adding it to support WHY a hospital grade receptacle].

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Phobic said:

do they have in built RFI filtering as well then? that's the bit that might be most pertinent to hifi.

I also know the @Johannes replaces his wall warts with medical grade versions to help cut down/stop the EMI/RFI emissions.

All of my Linn is powered through a medical grade Environmental Potentials 2460 wave form correction device that has physical separation of power from each power receptacle,  so pollution from one electronics component doesn’t effect another component.

‘My switch also has a medical grade power supply.

‘Prior to my current switch, I had a NetGear 108T switch with a Friwo medical grade MPP15 SMPS. Definitely made a difference. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Phobic said:

do they have in built RFI filtering as well then? that's the bit that might be most pertinent to hifi.

I also know the @Johannes replaces his wall warts with medical grade versions to help cut down/stop the EMI/RFI emissions.

No filtering. If there is an RF advantage, it would be due to the isolated ground system, not the receptacle. This would apply to hospitals where isolated ground systems are employed, and not to homes.

• Like 1

I've been using hospital grade outlets since the 1980s. Do they make a difference? Perhaps, but they do no harm, and cost just a few dollars more than the standard household stuff. Just make sure someone qualified installs them. You can buy them at Home Depot for less than $10. So cheap that I've left them in place when I moved out of two houses. It was cheaper to leave them than to replace them and take with.

• Like 1

Yes. 

No, but using a PSAudio P-10 with built in good Schuko contacts which we use in Sweden. A benefit is also that we can turn our contacts upside down to be able to connect every piece of equipment for the best connection for each power supply. There is a sonic difference in most equipment switching Live and Neutral for best position. Possible to measure with an Oehlbach Polarity Checker.

/Harry

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2021 at 02:09, Harryup said:

No, but using a PSAudio P-10 with built in good Schuko contacts which we use in Sweden. A benefit is also that we can turn our contacts upside down to be able to connect every piece of equipment for the best connection for each power supply. There is a sonic difference in most equipment switching Live and Neutral for best position. Possible to measure with an Oehlbach Polarity Checker.

/Harry

Does anyone use the Oehlbach polarity checker?

In manual says it should be measured with the power switch on but I have some meaningful readings (different LED lit up when turning plug for 180) only when the power switch is off.

When the power switch is on always the same LED is lit up when turning the plug for 180.

I tried with enclosed earth cable between Checker and the earth of the device and the result is the same.

1. the Oehlbach is not very accurate, the one from MFE is better.
2. MFE and Oehlbach can't measure anything when the device is switched off because there is no closed circuit.
3. today's devices often have something like a relay to switch them on, so they can't measure anything either. The only thing that helps is the good old measuring device.

I was just now looking at the Shunyata website where they sell hospital grade outlets for $100 each. They are apparently cryogenically treated. I have a work around hack for this. I order my $10 hospital grade outlets in the winter from the Home Depot store in Fairbanks, Alaska. :D

• Haha 2

I replaced a hospital grade outlet with a Oyaide R1. Also replaced all of my incoming power cable with 500amp pure copper cable from my street transformer to my junction box, which was replaced with a 200 amp panel with copper breakers for each dedicated line. The street transformer was upgraded with new copper and brass connections...

It is surprising how much can be gained from clean power off the line into your room. The Oyaide R1was a nice upgrade. I also utilize the excellent Furutech NCF-50 and the Furutech Fi48 plugs--highly recommended. Might replace the Oyaide R1 with the Furutech GTX-D NCF outlet--not sure on that yet.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I replaced a hospital grade outlet with a Oyaide R1. Also replaced all of my incoming power cable with 500amp pure copper cable from my street transformer to my junction box, which was replaced with a 200 amp panel with copper breakers for each dedicated line. The street transformer was upgraded with new copper and brass connections...

It is surprising how much can be gained from clean power off the line into your room. The Oyaide R1was a nice upgrade. I also utilize the excellent Furutech NCF-50 and the Furutech Fi48 plugs--highly recommended. Might replace the Oyaide R1 with the Furutech GTX-D NCF outlet--not sure on that yet.

It seems that what you are underlining here is what is important for a mains supply, and that is the ability to deliver current quickly and immediately, at the correct voltage and frequency. Of course frequency isn't affected.

• Upvote 1

I have never thought of changing my mains socket. Now I am curious - always gullible for a tweak! 

I guess this follows the same philosophy as using a good quality mains block (which I do). But it never occurred to me to do the same with the mains socket that it is plugged into.

I have seen these at MCRU: https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/silver-plated-audio-grade-wall-socket-2/

Edited by rad1

This is another topic that can be infinite. But what is it about?
Only the contact of the network plug and the additional connections in the socket. Many have to make compromises here, e.g. for security reasons.
- An acquaintance just had a high-end socket installed and he was lucky - it didn't sound any worse afterwards. But not better either.
- What is the point of a good socket in the wall if there is a multiple socket behind it? NOTHING

As I have said many times before, one of the big problems is the contacts and the connectors. Fortunately, I no longer have these problems.

6 hours ago, Johannes said:

- An acquaintance just had a high-end socket installed and he was lucky - it didn't sound any worse afterwards. But not better either.

As I said, I've been using hospital outlets since the 1980s. This is the result that I would expect. It is merely cheap insurance, a little more robust.

• Like 1