Chumpchops

Unashamed new car boasting post.

Without too much humblebrag, this morning received notification that my new car is in build in Japan.  2020 was a sh1t year, so, bit hacked off, on a whim, without driving or even seeing, and following a Rioja moment watching YouTube reviews,  I went online with CC and ordered one of these in December:

D8C6DE99-031E-4914-A026-1FC5FAEF9710.jpeg.f01206ac9fa60b4a78059afc50a68a86.jpeg1475DE10-9FD4-4388-BF45-785AFEED3320.jpeg.01c6fd63a352a80915729a0f9b739233.jpeg

Whole new platform and amazing engineering commitment from Toyota for WRC.\

Like many I get car allowance, to ruin my own cars as part of my pay, but am required to run a car of less than 3 years old, which is crazy since my 3 years old Golf R has only done 16,000 miles.   

Apart from an early foray in French cars (2CV) I have always run German autos, so this is my first Jap car.  

Probably my last roll of the ICE dice before leccy cars take over, so fancied some Old school fun and I think this one might just fit the bill.  

Am keeping Golf R to run them side by side for a while.  Its my 3rd R, so I like them very much, especially with the stage one 380 pony remap, but I reckon Yaris will be still more ‘fun’ without the crazy license-losing speeds.  

D4BE5DFA-DEC4-4FDB-9B43-38EAE5C69E63.thumb.jpeg.98ebc94a8ec2235a116f9e55611955da.jpegADB26159-F165-4355-8BBE-B774F2556749.thumb.jpeg.8d8f9514c665fec3755d4ae534e93e9b.jpeg

4C5DB663-B9C7-40DD-9320-ACBBCB02C2C9.thumb.jpeg.253332044ec0d28b7cf9d8975cb4b896.jpeg

Excuse blatant showing off, am also ‘into’ car detailing, but I have had lifelong love of cars and so will mourn the passing of proper engines before we all go leccy autonomous.

Nice to have something to look forward to,  Never thought I’d be getting excited about a Toyota.B|

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Chumpchops said:

Without too much humblebrag, this morning received notification that my new car is in build in Japan.  2020 was a sh1t year, so, bit hacked off, on a whim, without driving or even seeing, and following a Rioja moment watching YouTube reviews,  I went online with CC and ordered one of these in December:

D8C6DE99-031E-4914-A026-1FC5FAEF9710.jpeg.f01206ac9fa60b4a78059afc50a68a86.jpeg1475DE10-9FD4-4388-BF45-785AFEED3320.jpeg.01c6fd63a352a80915729a0f9b739233.jpeg

Whole new platform and amazing engineering commitment from Toyota for WRC.\

Like many I get car allowance, to ruin my own cars as part of my pay, but am required to run a car of less than 3 years old, which is crazy since my 3 years old Golf R has only done 16,000 miles.   

Apart from an early foray in French cars (2CV) I have always run German autos, so this is my first Jap car.  

Probably my last roll of the ICE dice before leccy cars take over, so fancied some Old school fun and I think this one might just fit the bill.  

Am keeping Golf R to run them side by side for a while.  Its my 3rd R, so I like them very much, especially with the stage one 380 pony remap, but I reckon Yaris will be still more ‘fun’ without the crazy license-losing speeds.  

D4BE5DFA-DEC4-4FDB-9B43-38EAE5C69E63.thumb.jpeg.98ebc94a8ec2235a116f9e55611955da.jpegADB26159-F165-4355-8BBE-B774F2556749.thumb.jpeg.8d8f9514c665fec3755d4ae534e93e9b.jpeg

4C5DB663-B9C7-40DD-9320-ACBBCB02C2C9.thumb.jpeg.253332044ec0d28b7cf9d8975cb4b896.jpeg

Excuse blatant showing off, am also ‘into’ car detailing, but I have had lifelong love of cars and so will mourn the passing of proper engines before we all go leccy autonomous.

Nice to have something to look forward to,  Never thought I’d be getting excited about a Toyota.B|

The Yaris GR has had rave reviews and I've yet to see one that's even a teeny bit critical. Plus it's a 3-door which is what all hot hatches should be in my opinion. Have you gone all in for the circuit pack? 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Baggawire said:

The Yaris GR has had rave reviews and I've yet to see one that's even a teeny bit critical. Plus it's a 3-door which is what all hot hatches should be in my opinion. Have you gone all in for the circuit pack? 

I have.  Seemed sensible option -  although I haven’t done track days for a few years, so they are not a priority.  Quiet A and B road fun on Exmoor/Dartmoor etc is goal.   The track chassis settings, light weight forged alloys and the grippier tyres, will all hopefully all get exploited.

I also went for the pearl white over the black or red options.  First white car too.

We will see if it lives up to all the hype.  Depth of engineering looks impressive.  I like that!

Edited by Chumpchops

On 08/01/2021 at 13:49, Chumpchops said:

I have.  Seemed sensible option -  although I haven’t done track days for a few years, so they are not a priority.  Quiet A and B road fun on Exmoor/Dartmoor etc is goal.   The track chassis settings, light weight forged alloys and the grippier tyres, will all hopefully all get exploited.

I also went for the pearl white over the black or red options.  First white car too.

We will see if it lives up to all the hype.  Depth of engineering looks impressive.  I like that!

What's it like over speed humps and potholes?  Only asking because a few years ago bought a BMW 1 series with a lowered suspension.  Off with the traction control, cornered brilliantly.  Went to Asda in it and scraped the underside of the front spoiler on the kerb in the car park. A couple more incidents like that and the car had to go and it did.  Now got BMW a 4 series Gran Coupe, lovely car, still miss the cornering ability of the 1 series.  

Nowt wrong with posting about a new car OP, plenty of people will appreciate it I'm sure! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I though prefer your R, TR is my favourite colour in the VW palate, I had a GTI in that and it was such a bright and cheery colour, never failed to raise my spirits when I saw it, even in dull weather. My current is an Oryx white GTI TCR, been enjoying driving it though I must say I do miss the manual.

Don't forget to update once you've had your GR a while with your thoughts :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ron Hilditch said:

What's it like over speed humps and potholes?  Only asking because a few years ago bought a BMW 1 series with a lowered suspension.  Off with the traction control, cornered brilliantly.  Went to Asda in it and scraped the underside of the front spoiler on the kerb in the car park. A couple more incidents like that and the car had to go and it did.  Now got BMW a 4 series Gran Coupe, lovely car, still miss the cornering ability of the 1 series.  

I don’t actually know yet as I haven’t driven one.  But from reviews I can glean that it actually has some compliance and travel  in its suspension for bumpy and damp roads, and this is consistent with WRC set ups, where  the low, slammed, zero ground clearance ‘fast and Furious’ tuner look, is not favoured.     There are some vids about with a bunch of WRC drivers having done shakedown, and another with Alonso, all saying the GR set up is very good for road use.   So we shall see.  A lot of hype around this car.

Current car (Golf R) has adaptable dampers and I seldom use the stiffest Sport setting, unless roads are teutonically smooth and I want to play.  In the wet and on bumpy roads the comfort setting is faster - by keeping wheels more in contact with tarmac.  In fact the Clubsport version that held the Production FWD ‘Ring record, did so on Comfort dampers settings.

Tell that to all the ridiculously lowered And ‘bobbing’ stiff cars you see Barry Boys tooling around in, and they just don't get it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chumpchops said:

I don’t actually know yet as I haven’t driven one.  But from reviews I can glean that it actually has some compliance and travel  in its suspension for bumpy and damp roads, and this is consistent with WRC set ups, where  the low, slammed, zero ground clearance ‘fast and Furious’ tuner look, is not favoured.     There are some vids about with a bunch of WRC drivers having done shakedown, and another with Alonso, all saying the GR set up is very good for road use.   So we shall see.  A lot of hype around this car.

Current car (Golf R) has adaptable dampers and I seldom use the stiffest Sport setting, unless roads are teutonically smooth and I want to play.  In the wet and on bumpy roads the comfort setting is faster - by keeping wheels more in contact with tarmac.  In fact the Clubsport version that held the Production FWD ‘Ring record, did so on Comfort dampers settings.

Tell that to all the ridiculously lowered And ‘bobbing’ stiff cars you see Barry Boys tooling around in, and they just don't get it. 

Saw the Evo Car of the Year Show on TV. The little Toyota was more than impressive.   Many years since I've read it, thought the Motoring Journalists were impressive in the way the rated the cars.  A really enjoyable couple of hours viewing.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carrington said:

Nowt wrong with posting about a new car OP, plenty of people will appreciate it I'm sure! Sounds like it could be a lot of fun! I though prefer your R, TR is my favourite colour in the VW palate, I had a GTI in that and it was such a bright and cheery colour, never failed to raise my spirits when I saw it, even in dull weather. My current is an Oryx white GTI TCR, been enjoying driving it though I must say I do miss the manual.

Don't forget to update once you've had your GR a while with your thoughts :)

Thanks.   Not committed to ditch the R just yet for reasons you say.  It’s been such a good all rounder, and relatively cheap to run.

TR is great colour and easy to look after.  As you say its a cheery hue and still looks good when not been cleaned for a while (like now).  It’s Night Blue and DBP predecessors dulled down very quickly once the winter roads grime stuck.

Oryx is an interesting shade - I’d like to be let loose with my DA, then ceramics  on it.  I think the Toyota Platinum white pearl May be similar.

Not driven a TCR but heard verygood things.  Do you run Cup2 tyres in winter?  And have you thought of a remap.  I have Unicorn S1 and love it, although it can challenge traction control even with Haldex, when its greasy.   No downsides and noticeably more grunt.  

• Upvote 1

I'd like to let you loose with your DA on it too :D. It was a few months old with the odd mark on it when I bought it so I've given it a decon, hand polish and wax and it came up pretty good but does need a DA over it. Oryx is smart but I wouldn't pay the new premium for it, rarely can you see the benefit of it. TR was much better but it's nice to have a change.

Mine is on 19s but Pirellis, more practical than Cup2s but I'll change them for PS4Ss once they are worn, they lose grip far too easily. As for a remap, where I live I'm lucky to get much above 30 most of the time!

For a hand polish and white, I thought it has a bit of depth, pretty pleased, shame it doesn't stay like this for long!

20200729-121327.jpg

6 minutes ago, Carrington said:

I'd like to let you loose with your DA on it too :D. It was a few months old with the odd mark on it when I bought it so I've given it a decon, hand polish and wax and it came up pretty good but does need a DA over it. Oryx is smart but I wouldn't pay the new premium for it, rarely can you see the benefit of it. TR was much better but it's nice to have a change.

Mine is on 19s but Pirellis, more practical than Cup2s but I'll change them for PS4Ss once they are worn, they lose grip far too easily. As for a remap, where I live I'm lucky to get much above 30 most of the time!

For a hand polish and white, I thought it has a bit of depth, pretty pleased, shame it doesn't stay like this for long!

20200729-121327.jpg

V nice.  I spend a bit of time on Detailing World and also VWROC, and there are a few examples of Oryx that have been DA’d to within a micron of their existence, and they are very capable of ‘popping’, but it’s deffo a labour of love. 

if you are wanting easy quick shine and finish I can recommend Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Cheap,,easy and quick.  Lasts quite well too. 

0F865890-1450-407C-9D1F-1E330C7592AF.jpeg.cb4005698543300ff2c348a561e76a5e.jpeg88914774-EDAA-4237-AFC6-8C6B862560E9.thumb.jpeg.3047eaac6591701543f8850ebc1c5117.jpeg

Mine came from factory on Contis, which were OK.  However I fitted P4Ss recently@15k when the fronts were getting down to tread indicators,  and these are a magnitude of order better to drive than the Contis.  Recommended.   I had PIlot SuperSports on previous R, but the PS4 is better still imo.   Apparently tread life is good too.

03A2DAA8-A433-48BF-91D1-C7364A4D1232.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try that next :^. Currently using FinishKare #425 which is excellent but always up for trying something new :).

Sounds like you are on the case.  FK 425 is good quick detailer.  BSD similar but Is slicker, lasts longer and beads water like crazy.  Some folk mix the two.  

• Like 1

I hope you enjoy your new car, I would.  Im jealous because I havent used my car (E46 M3) very much at all for nearly a year due to being clinically vulnerable. Resisting suggestions (from the mrs)  to sell it. So instead I treated it to a new set of PS4S and a BBK !

• Like 1

The GR looks like fun; 1.6 litre & 257 bhp! Same 0-60 as my old Cayman S!  Might have missed it but what colour have you gone for?

@zeta4Apart from the original e30 (for BTTC chops) e46 is my fav Mcar.  I had an early one but always wanted a CSL.  
Likewise hardly done any miles since last March.

BBK and new boots always a plus.  Can always sell on BBK if you do sell car...but i reckon e46 M3 is a collector’s car and a keeper 

Edited by Chumpchops