Confused with streamers - upgrade?

Hartcity

I'd also vote for adding a sub, if what you want to do is to improve the bass.

If you are wanting to try different streamers ,a pi-based streamer could be worth a try. This PC in the classifieds also looks like it could be a good option (and likely less work to set up than a pi) https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/136574-computer-audio-pc-with-asus-motherboard/

I've nothing to do with the sale, but looks decent value to me...

I suggest he gets a used Node 2, they are around £200. He can then upgrade it later if required.

Rasberry Pi is possible but more complicated and not much cheaper.

I have found BT to be the worst way of streaming music.

I don’t use WiFi, I use an Ethernet cable to the router, this gives a more stable and consistent stream in my system, dropouts or freezing are rare. 

Edited by StingRay
  • Like 1

As the OP is using Spotify I would say get a Chromecast Audio fed optical into the D3020. Spotify is Native to the CCA so would be via WiFi with the phone as a remote. Whilst CCAs aren't as cheap as they were they can still be picked up for a reasonable price <£75, and would be a definite uplift in SQ over a BT fed source. Adding a low cost chinese LPS lifts SQ further  (I run my CCA & FiiO Taishan DAC from a twin usb jobby that cost £38 delivered) so circa £100 all in. 

• Like 1

Bluesound node 2i would be a most appropriate upgrade in your system imo. You can also tweak the bass in the app which could help.

Another vote for the Bluesound Node 2i (via Ethernet).  I’m using it as a streamer into my Hegel HD30 DAC.  Lovely sound. 

Hi all, really appreciate the time taken to reply, lots to think about.

First of all I want to make sure I'm getting the best from the source I have, but confused whether I am listening over BT or wifi - there was a good post earlier about checking so will do that.

Second, sub option, have to admit the best system I ever had comprised of small standmount ProAc 1sc speakers with a sub, and swore then that any future system would have one...just want to make sure I'm optimising the source I have as it might give me what I am looking for without the sub if wifi is significantly better/I do not have it connected correctly, although I guess from the comments the system will probably still sound a bit light without the addition of a sub.

Someone made a good point, all the recommendations are for a Bluesound but is it overkill for just listening in one room through Spotify? I listen a lot, all day to speech radio with the odd Planet Rock thrown in but most nights consist of a good 2-3 hours solid music (Rock/metal/punk), so I'm happy to spend the cash on a good system if needed, but one of the reasons I got the Yamaha in the first place over the Bluesound was recommendations on here that, if its just used for Spotify then the Yamaha is the option to go for.

I think I just need to make sure I am listening to wifi, need to figure that out, and if its still not quite what I am after then look at either sub or upgrade the streamer. Again, many thanks for all the help, love this place :-)

Edited by Hartcity

11 minutes ago, Hartcity said:

Second, sub option, have to admit the best system I ever had comprised of small standmount ProAc 1sc speakers with a sub, and swore then that any future system would have one...

Well there you go. You're letting yourself down by considering anything else :nup:.

20 minutes ago, Hartcity said:

Hi all, really appreciate the time taken to reply, lots to think about.

First of all I want to make sure I'm getting the best from the source I have, but confused whether I am listening over BT or wifi - there was a good post earlier about checking so will do that.

Second, sub option, have to admit the best system I ever had comprised of small standmount ProAc 1sc speakers with a sub, and swore then that any future system would have one...just want to make sure I'm optimising the source I have as it might give me what I am looking for without the sub if wifi is significantly better/I do not have it connected correctly, although I guess from the comments the system will probably still sound a bit light without the addition of a sub.

Someone made a good point, all the recommendations are for a Bluesound but is it overkill for just listening in one room through Spotify? I listen a lot, all day to speech radio with the odd Planet Rock thrown in but most nights consist of a good 2-3 hours solid music (Rock/metal/punk), so I'm happy to spend the cash on a good system if needed, but one of the reasons I got the Yamaha in the first place over the Bluesound was recommendations on here that, if its just used for Spotify then the Yamaha is the option to go for.

I think I just need to make sure I am listening to wifi, need to figure that out, and if its still not quite what I am after then look at either sub or upgrade the streamer. Again, many thanks for all the help, love this place :-)

If it’s just Spotify, try to find a Chromecast Audio and link it optically. There is actually quite a lot of consensus on Streaming and you hear the same things coming up again and again. In order of price, the usual suspects are;

Chromecast Audio
Raspberry Pi 
Bluesound
Auralic 

Outside that group, there is Naim, Linn, Cambridge and Arcam which have their followers. 

Raspberry Pi based solutions sound great but take work and are a bit geeky. 

The other solution is to plug your ’phone in to your amp using a Lightning or USBC compatible DAC. It’s actually a very effective way to do it and has the advantage of being easy to set up.

A streamer may improve the bass but only if your current streamer is of poor quality. If you have a specific, identifiable problem, it is most likely to be your ‘speakers or your amplifier’s relationship with them. If you like your‘speakers, a sub might be a good idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hartcity said:

Yes, but that was 20 years ago ;-) and was hoping technology had moved on so these new fangled streamer thingies and digital amps would compensate...apparently not :-)

It depends what you're after but no streamer is going to magically increase the bass extension of your speakers.

Cheers Martin, and that is what I was kinda looking for, will the quality of the source increase the bit I feel is 'missing'? And it looks like it wont.

Have had a play about and I have had it on wifi all along so yeah, seems sub next option.

much appreciated guys :-)

• Like 1

Apparently there's a bass boost your amp. According to What Hifi (yes...i know...):

"A bass boost is available via the amp’s credit-card style remote and, while the natural balance is far from lacking at low end, that optional increase is tasteful - it plumps up those bottom frequencies without softening or fatiguing the performance."