Recommended places to buy vinyl

Tazman46

New to this and already it feels like a bit of a minefield, new Kate Bush remastered box set off of eBay - totally warped and had to return. Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Raising Sand - new and sealed - scratched and had to return it. That one I felt bad for the seller because he’s not a business so totally lost out. The last LP that came to me from Amazon was in a paper bag! Amazed it made it but not without a bent corner. So far I reckon 50% of what I’ve bought has had issues, so I need reliable, no quibble returns, UK based and cares about what they’re selling. Thanking you in advance.

Diverse Vinyl proper professional people

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Try to find local independent record shops if you can, they will need all the support you can give them in these pandemic times. My local-ish one here is obviously closed for personal visits but still has an online shop and will take individual orders too. (EDIT: not close to you I know but if you want to do mail order, they are https://www.hundredrecords.com/ - Mark the owner is knowledgeable and passionate about music)

Also I wouldn't necessarily discount buying second hand - new vinyl is very expensive and as you've already found out, not guaranteed to be free from faults. OK so second hand can also be a minefield but if you're paying a couple of quid each rather than £20+ it doesn't feel quite so upsetting when things aren't absolutely perfect. Plus you get more "bang for your buck"!

Edited by Jules_S
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Tazman46, as your not far and when we can again, you need to get down to Ben’s Records in Guildford. Top bloke, top shop. I’ve had a number of used records from him and they have all played like new and I know he fully cleans them prior to sale. 

https://bens-collectors-records.business.site/

• Like 2

I’ve had very few bad experiences overall with buying vinyl from.....

Amazon, Lostinvinyl ( who have a shop in Cambridge but also on line via eBay), Scott Nangle & Burningshed. Plus there’s always Discogs.

Has to be said that buying vinyl from anywhere isn’t risk free. Postage & careful packaging as well as just the basic quality of the pressing is not as consistent as most of us would like. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the info, that’s very useful - like you say it’s all online at the mo which is a pia when it’s not right and you don’t have the magic of finding that gem that you didn’t know you wanted after a good rummage!

try https://burningshed.com I have bought a number of LPs from them. On the one occasion I had a problem with a bad pressing they sent me another copy without fuss. 

Also try Deco Audio. Mostly secondhand but all cleaned and graded. I have bought maybe 100 2nd hand LPs from Peter without a single complaint. 

• Upvote 1

I used to get things from an outfit called Vinyl Tap ... haven't heard from them for a while so I don't know if they're still in business

EDIT found their site

Edited by audio_PHIL_e
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

I used to get things from an outfit called Vinyl Tap ... haven't heard from them for a while so I don't know if they're still in business

EDIT found their site

Wow, that's a blast from the past! I'd forgotten all about them, will have to have a browse (my credit card now hates you!) :D

27 minutes ago, Jules_S said:

Wow, that's a blast from the past! I'd forgotten all about them, will have to have a browse (my credit card now hates you!) :D

You remind me that Our Price Records used to have a device that detected an Access card in your pocket and turned on the tractor beams so that you couldn't just walk past!

• Haha 1

Always had good service with these guys. 

https://stv33.com/

Also MCRU have been very good, sent me a replacement Chasing the dragon record without wanting the poor pressing back even though it was a £45 purchase. 

10 hours ago, Tazman46 said:

New to this and already it feels like a bit of a minefield, new Kate Bush remastered box set off of eBay - totally warped and had to return. Alison Krauss and Robert Plant Raising Sand - new and sealed - scratched and had to return it. That one I felt bad for the seller because he’s not a business so totally lost out. The last LP that came to me from Amazon was in a paper bag! Amazed it made it but not without a bent corner. So far I reckon 50% of what I’ve bought has had issues, so I need reliable, no quibble returns, UK based and cares about what they’re selling. Thanking you in advance.

I wasn’t impressed with my last album from Amazon in the paper bag considering how much the album cost

8C8FEFC7-09E9-4C28-8179-337D0D6EC065.thumb.jpeg.05df689ef85f11125604a0a83ad848c6.jpeg

https://www.diversevinyl.com

https://www.whatrecords.co.uk

Edited by Beyond you

2 minutes ago, Beyond you said:

I wasn’t impressed with my last album from Amazon in the paper bag considering how much the album cost

8C8FEFC7-09E9-4C28-8179-337D0D6EC065.thumb.jpeg.05df689ef85f11125604a0a83ad848c6.jpeg

Wow never seen an LP sent in a bag from Amazon before.  That is worrying.

Juno are very good, quick delivery and well packaged too. Ordered late one afternoon and it arrived the next morning, no idea how they do it! Also Abbey Road Studios, limited stock but great quality.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DomT said:

Wow never seen an LP sent in a bag from Amazon before.  That is worrying.

Hmmmm, I've had them delivered in a big cardboard box, or a stout cardboard LP container but not a paper bag!