Linn Majik cd player

huzy

Hi,

I would mostly appreciate your opinion on this player.I can buy it for abt £800.

Thank you!

Thanks!

Still I would like to know how Majik cd compares with other £800 cd players.Densen for example.

1 hour ago, huzy said:

Thanks!

Still I would like to know how Majik cd compares with other £800 cd players.Densen for example.

It sounds somewhat expensive - and I can't help you with comparisons. Sorry.

Linn were one of the first companies to stop making CDPs - so it's worth checking if it will be supported, if there is a problem.

Edited by CnoEvil

Yes,it does!

And yes,I know.

Thanks again

Kris

Just consider - you can buy a reasonable player with a digital out for not a lot of money and then get the DAC your ears like - Eventually (average 8 to 12 years) the laser will fail and on past evidence will not longer be in production and so the machine becomes an expensive door stop (irrepairable).

If I was in your shoes I would be a new Cambridge Transport (or cd Player with digital out for about £300) and invest the rest in a DAC that I like - knowing in 8 or more years time when the player fails I just need to find another reasonably priced replacement.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, uzzy said:

Just consider - you can buy a reasonable player with a digital out for not a lot of money and then get the DAC your ears like - Eventually (average 8 to 12 years) the laser will fail and on past evidence will not longer be in production and so the machine becomes an expensive door stop (irrepairable).

If I was in your shoes I would be a new Cambridge Transport (or cd Player with digital out for about £300) and invest the rest in a DAC that I like - knowing in 8 or more years time when the player fails I just need to find another reasonably priced replacement.

The Audiolab 6000CDT is another reasonably priced transport.

Edited by emcc_3e

I have used cd transport + dac for years now as well as Tidal hifi. Having recently acquired Linn Majik I amp I thought I might try a Linn player just for feeding my curiosity. £800 for an unheard cdp is too much however

While I would say that the Linn CD player had a very good reputation it is now a very old item and given as noted above the issue of the laser life (I understand Linn can not longer supply new units but this could be wrong) The price you have been offered is quite good for one of these in good condition those on e-bay seem to be much more . However as has been stated a transport / dac would be a better sound quality option .

Something like this is a good start and brand new so coverage in case there are problems

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audiolab-6000CDT-CD-Transport-Black/233724954838?epid=0&hash=item366b17c8d6:g:EGEAAOSwnmNfbZyd

Attach the DAC of your preference and you have a very decent digital front end which will last for a reasonable amount of time .

If you do a search on e-bay for CD Transport there are quite a few second hand options which are decent , TEAC , Theta , Micromega , Audionet , Emotiva but these are all used otions so the same laser issue could apply as it does to the Linn .

• Upvote 1

It was a good player 15 years ago but even the Exposure 2010S2 is better either as a player or a transport.

Exposure 2010 S2 CD player - immaculate | eBay

Edited by chris metcalfe
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
The Audiolab 6000CDT is another reasonably priced transport.

I got one of these to replace a Linn Karik CDP and haven’t looked back. The Karik PSU blew and replacements are no longer available. I was gutted but I still got a respectable price on eBay for the defunct Karik.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1