The Marlin

Streaming software...for streamers...

An old friend, several hundred miles further up north, has bought himself a streamer (as I will likely do soon). 

He bought an Innuous Zen?

Anyway, hes got some software controlling it that he absolutely hates, finds it dated looking and clunky.  The software is Peng. 

Can anyone recommend some better software for his Innuous? 

He’s ok with technology, but he’s still learning his way around the Innuous  He’s using ripped CD’s as a source, and is about to sign up for Qobuz  

Any advice gratefully received  

is changing the software and easy task, or monumentally painful?

All the best

Marlin

Edited by The Marlin

Super Wammer

@The Marlin Nick (FourLegs) uses an Innuous but i think the bigger unit than this and will be able to offer more precise help . As far as I know Innuous have Logitech Media Server loaded and if this is the case the best free option I could suggest is to access the LMS settings and go to Plugins (in standard LMS these will be tabs across the top of the screen box . In Plugins go down and find the plug in for Material Skin and tick it . At the same time tick the boxes for song information and and song lyrics and the music information plug in . Click save in the bottom right hand corner and it will tell you that you need to restart which you should do . When the LMS page returns go back to the settings and plugins and make sure that all the new items have loaded if they are now in your active list but with no tick against them tick them all (You can do this when you select them but sometimes it loads them to your list and you have to then tick to install) Once you are sure they are all installed then open settings and on the tabs you will see one called interface there is a little arrow drop down menu and Material Skin should be there click this and reboot your browser window . You should then have the Material GUI Skin which gives you pictures of your albums and artist information and other things . Now to access this as it is a HTML5 item all you need to do is put in the URL 192.168.1.??? were ??? is the three number allocated by your router to your LMS . So this can be used for a PC , MAC , Tablet , Smart Phone , Smart TV anything that has a browser that can access the internet . On each device it should be very easy to save it as a favourite site and then just press to access . I find the GUI nice to use and very easy . As this is all free it is worth a try before you spend any money on another item like Peng .

Is Peng for IOS or Android?

I use (and like) Orange Squeeze for Android...

Roon.

I know it's paid for, but it just works without fuss.

And I hate paying for software.

43 minutes ago, lazycat said:

Roon.

I know it's paid for, but it just works without fuss.

And I hate paying for software.

Thanks for that. How difficult is it to load it onto the device?

Super Wammer
3 hours ago, The Marlin said:

It’s all on the Roon homepage, but basically you need a powerful PC to host it.  https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks

What you were originally talking about was, I think, simply a control point. In effect it’s an app - typically on a tablet - that tells the streamer what to do, a bit like a remote control tells a TV.   Innuos have their own software called InnuOS which I suggest your friend tries before anything else.   http://www.innuos.com/en/catalog/go/music-servers-mk3

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Marlin said:

Roon is also very expensive. Your friend may or may not think it's worth it although plenty of people do. Try the trial version first.

I use Squeezelite-X on the same PC that hosts my Logitech Media Server, and just a bowser on my phone or one of the cheap easy to use Squeezebox control apps.

Edited by t1no

4 hours ago, The Marlin said:

Here

http://www.innuos.com/en/go/installing-roon

19 hours ago, The Marlin said:

An old friend, several hundred miles further up north, has bought himself a streamer (as I will likely do soon). 

He bought an Innuous Zen?

Anyway, hes got some software controlling it that he absolutely hates, finds it dated looking and clunky.  The software is Peng. 

Can anyone recommend some better software for his Innuous? 

He’s ok with technology, but he’s still learning his way around the Innuous  He’s using ripped CD’s as a source, and is about to sign up for Qobuz  

Any advice gratefully received  

is changing the software and easy task, or monumentally painful?

All the best

Marlin

Forget Roon.  Ott for just a controller. 

Innos runs LMS as embedded server, therefore controller SW  that works Is for Squeezeboxes will also work for you mates box. 

If you have an iOS iPad, try Squeezepad to control the  inuos.  Easy to set up and cheap.  Very clear and straightforward to operate.  Can run Qobuz, spotty, Tidal, etc as well as bbc sounds, Youtube, soma, radio paradise and so on. I also have ipeng which I barely use because  the interface is less intuitive.  I used to use Squeeze commander on Android, but it was not that good imho.

You do have to pay a princely One off sum of £5 for squeezepad, but I have no problem paying for decent sw. it installs to ipad very easily and will automatically find LMS on the Innuos, if they are both on the same network.

https://www.chartoo.co.uk/itunes/ipadapp/380003002-squeezepad

Edited by Chumpchops

I have used a wide range of streamers over the years and my Innuous/ Orange Squeeze combination is easily the most stable and user friendly combination.

I use it with Qobuz and it is excellent.

I use Android however not that horrible Apple crap.

We need to know whether an iOS, Android or Windows compatible controller is wanted to make specific suggestion but in all cases there are free options that should be considered first. 

Innuos  used to recommend OrangeSqueeze, however there has been no dev work on the app for a long time.

This has happened before, so the Dev may return to the app and update it.

I agree with the comments re Squeezepad :) and iPeng :?

Squeeze Ctrl on Android is fine (also Windows)

Material Skin on LMS is good and the Dev is very approachable

ronnie