bencat

Making Stacked KEF 103 Speakers full active threeways

Super Wammer
2 minutes ago, MF 1000 said:

Unless you have very sensitive speakers the background hiss that can occur with DCX units shouldn’t be an issue ....analogue input seems a far easier option to implement 

Keith have you ever used the digital input? Surely it must be in stereo, or am I misunderstanding what Andrew is saying, which is quite likely :) . Having only got the Lite version, I can not try what Andrew is doing :( 

Super Wammer

Keith I agree for the DCX  analogue is easier but it adds yet another this digital to analogue and box to the chain .

Colin I agree with you the Input A when set as digital will receive a stereo digital signal but the DCX switches all outputs to mono and will not let you make this stereo output.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, greybeard said:

Keith have you ever used the digital input? Surely it must be in stereo, or am I misunderstanding what Andrew is saying, which is quite likely :) . Having only got the Lite version, I can not try what Andrew is doing :( 

I’ve never used the digital input option...I guess the internal DAC then splits up the left & right signal as a normal DAC does before it’s distributed to the output channels etc but it’s way beyond my pay grade 

Personally I’d test out the principle of active stacked KEFs in the analogue setup first 

Edited by MF 1000
  • Like 1

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, bencat said:

Colin I agree with you the Input A when set as digital will receive a stereo digital signal but the DCX switches all outputs to mono and will not let you make this stereo output.

Ok so it is splitting them L&R and then they would be Mono, think I am getting it now. Can you split them so as Bass is 1&2 (L&R) mids 3&4 (L&R) Highs 5&6 (L&R) . It just seems to me to be a better way to set it up.

Super Wammer

Only thing for this is for me to take every thing in my system apart and build it back together with the new connections once this is done I can then at least try and get some music through the system and see what does and does not work .

Clever thing about Dirac is that it will take the recorded tone from the session and deal with what it hears not what may or may not be set and then will correct that . So have to give this a try but it is not going to be a small job as I need to take out lots of elements and then add in and connect carefully as I go along . Tomorrow seems to be sensible and an early start .

Super Wammer

Colin as you say I presume it does split the signal up but there is no way you can tell which is left and right the only thing that changes are the CR setting for each channel . So while i could do as you say as each a single mono channel there is nothing different to the set up other than the channel numbering and for me it is easier and safer to do one channel at a time and then I know each is correct .

Super Wammer

Okay I have had a long hard think about this and have decided that I do not trust my settings on the Behringer . It is a really versatile unit and will suit most people but the lack of any ability to accept a stereo digital and then split that signal for output is just not working for me . I can see how using two analogue inputs would work but that is not the route i want to go having to add an additional DAC in the chain etc . So after much uming and ahhing I decided to buy a used miniDSP 10x10 HD unit that was for sale on e-bay . More than I really wanted to spend but after thinking about it it made sense .

I am very happy and know the miniDSP and DIRAC Live software and feel really confident in my ability to se them up correctly . I will even have two channels left to add a sub if I ever wanted to (not likely but never say never) . So thank you so much to Keith for sending me the Behringer it is a very comprehensive unit but sadly just not for me , nothing in this system is balanced so have had to buy a shed load of adapters and still think I am not sure exactly what I am doing . Will PM you about getting this packed up and sent back to you . Thanks to Colin for all your advice and help I think at times you have been as confused as I was which shows me that this is not the route for me.

I am now very sure that this will work and that i can set things up safely and correctly and have something i can adjust easily to try the different low bass settings quickly and then find the sweet spot I am looking for. I now have to wait for the 10 x 10 HD to arrive but I know when it does a single morning of replacing units and then doing a measuring session and i will have things singing again , just leaving me the long and protracted back and forth of tweaking to enjoy .

• Like 1

Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say Andrew ...it’s at least allowed you to define your route ahead etc 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1