VAT on 2nd hand EU purchases

alphatoner

Unfortunately that is not the case. The way vat is collected has been changed. Secondly many of the deals with countries outside of the EU, have been changed. Look at Japan to start with. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, moo-fi said:

Unfortunately that is not the case. The way vat is collected has been changed. Secondly many of the deals with countries outside of the EU, have been changed. Look at Japan to start with. 

Indeed. People need to realise that more or less everything has changed. Deals which we had with many countries were in place as they were negotiated by the EU and we benefited by accessing those deals (being then part of the EU). All these deals have been/are being re-negotiated. Some will have more or less the same terms, but others otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StingRay said:

If the the threshold is £135 then it won’t affect many smaller items such as cds.

Sadly, no.

UK VAT is now payable on all purchases from the EU (except where the item is VAT exempt - and hi-fi isn't). The difference is where the VAT is collected. Under £135, the VAT will be collected at the point of sale. Over £135 the VAT (plus any duty payable, plus a customs handling fee) will be applied by UK customs and charged to you separately by the customs agent (e.g. Royal Mail or courier company) prior to delivery of your item(s).

The seller or Online Market Place (OMP - e.g. eBay or Amazon) will have to be VAT registered in the UK and make quarterly payments of all VAT they have collected on payments under £135. Not a hill of beans for eBay or Amazon, but this is why many small independent EU websites have already stopped selling to the UK - they have decided that the cost in additional time and accounting software / accountant fees makes it unviable. The same will apply in reverse, on UK exports to the EU, from July (likely, with much the same effect).

I hope that the deal 'evolves' into something much better and with much less paperwork...but I'm not holding my breath.

There is a multi hifi item EU seller on ebay who has put delivery cost at £500 to the UK. That should reduce demand somewhat. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

There is a multi hifi item EU seller on ebay who has put delivery cost at £500 to the UK. That should reduce demand somewhat. 

They need us more than we need then, I guess..

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, savvypaul said:

Sadly, no.

UK VAT is now payable on all purchases from the EU (except where the item is VAT exempt - and hi-fi isn't). The difference is where the VAT is collected. Under £135, the VAT will be collected at the point of sale. Over £135 the VAT (plus any duty payable, plus a customs handling fee) will be applied by UK customs and charged to you separately by the customs agent (e.g. Royal Mail or courier company) prior to delivery of your item(s).

The seller or Online Market Place (OMP - e.g. eBay or Amazon) will have to be VAT registered in the UK and make quarterly payments of all VAT they have collected on payments under £135. Not a hill of beans for eBay or Amazon, but this is why many small independent EU websites have already stopped selling to the UK - they have decided that the cost in additional time and accounting software / accountant fees makes it unviable. The same will apply in reverse, on UK exports to the EU, from July (likely, with much the same effect).

I hope that the deal 'evolves' into something much better and with much less paperwork...but I'm not holding my breath.

OK thanks. I was looking at buying a cd on Amazon and the prices were cheaper from Europe (Germany and Switzerland) than the UK, I went to order it last week and all the prices had jumped up by about £4, from around £9, just checked again today and some of prices are back down again.  In fact all the cds I had in my Amazon basket have come down in price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StingRay said:

OK thanks. I was looking at buying a cd on Amazon and the prices were cheaper from Europe (Germany and Switzerland) than the UK, I went to order it last week and all the prices had jumped up by about £4, from around £9, just checked again today and some of prices are back down again.  In fact all the cds I had in my Amazon basket have come down in price.

Yeah, expect a period of 'turbulence'...

1 hour ago, JANDL100 said:

Tell me about it ... they had a very tasty Yamaha AS1000 amp at a decent price. Then I saw the £500 delivery cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, savvypaul said:

Yeah, expect a period of 'turbulence'...

Ladies and gentlemen we will be crossing an area of turbulence as we approach our final destination in the Sunny Uplands. Please fasten your seat belt and remain seated... Brace, brace, brace!!!

• Haha 3

Well, eBay is making it clear now.....

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 18.06.58.png

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, StingRay said:

You should try buying a CD, LP or BluRay in Portugal; they are seriously expensive. My wife just bought me a BluRay and it was €25 and in the U.K. it would have been £10-15. 

2 hours ago, DomT said:

You should try buying a CD, LP or BluRay in Portugal; they are seriously expensive. My wife just bought me a BluRay and it was €25 and in the U.K. it would have been £10-15. 

Can you not buy online? Searching recently for some cds the cheapest was often a Swiss based dealer. Most of the cds I’m looking to buy are coming up at around £10-£28 new, on Amazon, this inc. dealers. eBay is not coming up cheaper apart from one.

I feel as cd sales fall, prices will rise, so if you want the music I would buy it soon. I’ve been surprised that some cds are no longer available, for example Finks live album and one of Boz Scaggs. Less mainstream artists it is almost impossible to buy some cds even used. 

Some are available as downloads, see Bandcamp and Qobuz, this is a good option if the cd is coming from abroad, I ordered one from a New Zealand artist, the downland cost £12, the cd with shipping and tax/custom fees would be over £30.

Edited by StingRay

1 hour ago, DomT said:

That was always the case with CDs and DVDs unfortunately.

I was a teenager when I visited London for the first time in the late '80s and I couldn't believe how much cheaper CDs were here.

39 minutes ago, tuga said:

That was always the case with CDs and DVDs unfortunately.

I was a teenager when I visited London for the first time in the late '80s and I couldn't believe how much cheaper CDs were here.

The USA is usually cheaper still esp. for used cds and records. 

On 15/01/2021 at 00:31, cynix said:

That same system of paying VAT directly to the buyers country is being adopted within the EU in July BTW, so possibly some EU companies will suspend shipping to the UK until then when they have to update everything anyway)

The VAT changes within the EU are coming later this year anyway and will present similar issues across intra-EU consumer trade, if the seller isn't geared up for the new regime.