all sorted now me darlins. Many thanks to all.

Edited by m7rso

HD800s are the one Sennheiser I've not owned. But from reviews and experience of other pairs, I'd say you'd want an amp with a bit of warmth (the degree depending on your personal tastes) and plenty of power, but not the mega power levels some planars require.

Cheers Lawrence Roger that.

Edited by m7rso

Looking at a thx aaa rated amp maybe the topping.  

And oh the other end if the scale maybe the bottle head crack with upgrade.

.Anyone using one of these with the hd800.  Haven't even got the cans yet!

Ive got HD800's with the dupont modification which tames the 6khz peak nicely and I use a 2P29L dht headphone amp with it  ( Bartola Valves inspired ). My friend Jon has used the Bottlehead Crack with the same modded HD 800s and we thought it sounded nearly as good as my amp . I dont think you would be disappointed with it.

The bottlehead is what i am going for, its just finding one..if push comes to shove ill get one from the usa.

messed up, the bottlehead was for my hd600. I am losing the plot.

Edited by m7rso

Hi I also use the hd800 and have owned several modified Cracks in the past also currently have the Bottlehead Sex and Mainline.

I rate the Crack highly owning one is a lot of fun however do be aware the Crack is not the most transparent of amps the hd 800 will sound great with it but your not going to get what the hd800 are renowned for resolution of details and Spence of space. You will need to look higher up the Bottlehead range for this. Once you figure in the cost of premium tubes to get help get the  most out of the Crack and a upgrade or two it's not so much of a jump.

Some other more budget friendly suggestions would be Chord Mojo or the Pass Whammy amp (DIYaudio store) fwiw the Whammy with Burson V6 discreet opamps  will get you within a whisker of the Bottlehead Mainlines performance for £250-£300 which is roughly  a quarter of the price of the Mainline depending on if you go for the PCB or the full kit.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JamieMcC said:

Hi I also use the hd800 and have owned several modified Cracks in the past also currently have the Bottlehead Sex and Mainline.

I rate the Crack highly owning one is a lot of fun however do be aware the Crack is not the most transparent of amps the hd 800 will sound great with it but your not going to get what the hd800 are renowned for resolution of details and Spence of space. You will need to look higher up the Bottlehead range for this. Once you figure in the cost of premium tubes to get help get the  most out of the Crack and a upgrade or two it's not so much of a jump.

Some other more budget friendly suggestions would be Chord Mojo or the Pass Whammy amp (DIYaudio store) fwiw the Whammy with Burson V6 discreet opamps  will get you within a whisker of the Bottlehead Mainlines performance for £250-£300 which is roughly  a quarter of the price of the Mainline depending on if you go for the PCB or the full kit.

Apologies mate, the crack was for with my hd600s.  Still haven't got the hd800 yet. Got outbid on a few but i have a couple of months.I was getting mixed up. Taken what you said onboard.  Can you specify the Burson opamps for the Whammy or do they come as standard. I was looking at the mojo and hugo but a preloved mark 1. Any experience with the Hugo? If so, how would you rate the wammy against the mojo and hugo and your hd800.

The amps i have available at the moment are smsl200, Topping D or E 90 and Epiphany Acoustics 02. 

Edited by m7rso
Addition.

The opamps that come in the Whammy kit will probably be the generic one they sound ok and are only a couple of dollars they push into a small dip socket and are easy to swap out a bit like tube rolling but only a few dollars a time. The Burson V6 opamps are a premium discreet opamp are around £50 (you only need one) expensive for a opamp but  roughly about quarter or the price of a premium tube for the Crack!

The Mojo offers great performance for the price

The main drawbacks are

1 it's battery powered do you need to charge it up or run plugged in. You can also use a phone charger power bank if needed.

2 it's also a DAC so you are always tied to the DACs performance 

The Whammy on the other hand as it's a just the amp can be used with different DACs if you wanted to upgrade later.

I have never tried the Hugo so can't comment.  

• Like 1

Ok, i have gone for the chord mojo which is highly reviewed, the topping L90 and the smsl200 and benchmark dac1 since i always wanted one and its got headphone out and i will use it on my main system anyways. None of the above is a warm amp..maybe the mojo is...by any means so watch this space.  Still no hd800 on the scene so using the hd600, dt990pro and sbl can at the moment.

ill keep my eye out for a pass wammy...

Edited by m7rso
  • 3 weeks later...

I have recently acquired the budget Topping L30 (paired with an E30) for my lockdown laptop. IMO it sounds as good as anything I have ever had with my long-serving, and fave,  HD600s - plenty of power to spare. So I imagine any Topping up the chain e.g. A50s, A90 would work well. L30 is a useful pre-amp too.
Cheers
Dave

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the Chord Mojo a very poor partner for the HD600. You seriously need to crank it up and actually the HD600 needs power not warmth. The Topping L30 is much the better match if you don't require the DAC. The Mojo is about £200 overpriced (overhyped).

Best match I have had with the HD600 is the Sabaj Da3 running in balanced mode

Edited by griffo104
  • Like 2
  • m7rso changed the title to HD600
On 14/03/2021 at 22:54, griffo104 said:

I found the Chord Mojo a very poor partner for the HD600. You seriously need to crank it up and actually the HD600 needs power not warmth. The Topping L30 is much the better match if you don't require the DAC. The Mojo is about £200 overpriced (overhyped).

Best match I have had with the HD600 is the Sabaj Da3 running in balanced mode

Never seen the attraction with the hd600 myself. One of the most boring headphones I ever listened to. 650 were better but again I still couldn't see why all the fuss, tried the 660 these had potential but I didn't persevere with those. Always wanted to try the 800s though and now as Von says it'll have to be the black ones.

Agree with the mojo being 200 overpriced, and some of the reviews on that thing make out like it's an entrance to another dimension or something, it did nothing for me had some better sounding phone jack outputs. But it is chord never a lover, DAVE is good tho! Everything else meh. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.