Ultrasonic Record Cleaners

Distorted Vision

I've been thinking about buying an ultrasonic record cleaner for a long while. These three that have caught my eye:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRASONIC-R ... 3839270940

http://audiorevita.pl/?page_id=14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCLdyQ8ynw

It's made by a Polish company. The motor spindle unit isn't just something that clips on. It's built into the ultrasonic cleaner and doesn't require its own PSU. The main thing I like about it is that I can clean 6 records at a time. It can also heat the cleaning fluid.

Audiorevita also do a model, ARC-04 that has variable frequency that is £345 delivered.

I'm still not sure whether high frequency is more effective and worth paying almost £100 extra for.

I think alot of you already know about the HumminGuru Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hu ... escription

It seems neater and more compact. It also has a drying mode. But the big issue is that it only cleans one record at a time. It looks like its made out of plastic so I'm not sure about the build quality. I think I would do a rinse stage and vacuum dry with my Okki Nokki RCM so the drying function in the HumminGuru is kind of redundant. The Audiorevita is £250 and the HumminGuru is £325 (both including shipping). I will almost certainly have to pay import duty and VAT with the HumminGuru.

I'm leaning towards the ARC-2 but I was wondering which you prefer or if there is a completely different alternative you think I should consider.

7 minutes ago, Distorted Vision said:

I'm leaning towards the ARC-2

I've got that , bargain , excellent service as well .

• Like 1

I have a Velvet Vortex (made by Tim @Spider) and an excellent piece of kit it is, sensible price aswell. Adding 1 or 2 ice hockey pucks means you can clean 2-3 records at a time. I use my Pro-Ject VCS for rinse and drying duties. 

• Like 1

Hi

Just a couple of answers to your thoughts. The optimum frequency is up to 40khz higher than that does not help.
Doing multiple records has to be done properly, it is necessary for there to be enough space in between each record for the ultrasonic wave to work to its full potential. In my experience a gap of around 20mm is preferable so three at a time is about the maximum while still cleaning properly. Something else to consider is speed the vinyl turns at, the slower it turns the better because the ultrasonic wave needs time to do its job effectively any faster then 0.5rpm is not allowing the cleaning process to work to its full potential.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Spider

I use a Velvet Vortex. I have no association with Tim - Spider other than being a very satisfied customer. What he says above is correct after lots of use. I would not attempt to clean more than 3 at a time. Slow rotation means that the top 2/3 is dry when you lift them out so they are fully dry within minutes of air drying.

Don’t forget that if you buy outside of the U.K. you will pay importation taxes. 

Michael Fremer thinks highly of the Degritter RCM

He may have bought one as well

I’ve cleaned hundreds with the velvet vortex ..get the cleaning solution blend right and it does what it says on the can .

kindest regards Julian ..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Feet said:

An added benefit is that you can also do your teeth [Dentures] in an ultrasonic cleaner.

At the same time as cleaning your records?

10 hours ago, Pete the Feet said:

Depends if you have both a top set and a bottom set.

Mr Ed.jpg

Looks like my mates Mrs.

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2021 at 17:47, bigrod said:

I’ve cleaned hundreds with the velvet vortex ..get the cleaning solution blend right and it does what it says on the can .

kindest regards Julian ..

Out of interest what cleaning solution are you using?

Another vote for the Velvet Vortex.:geek:

• Like 1

My opinion for what it's worth is :-

I only ultrasonic clean my LP's once , Be it new or Boot sale / Second hand vinyl

Once deep cleaned with the US then it's over to the way / Vac cleaning along with a NEW sleeve 

Wet cleaning does your finger prints / dust removel etc even tho you should not get finger prints if you hold the LP correctly