Interesting article.... Old school hifi and what it offers

Richdirector

https://resistormag.com/features/devon-turnbull-old-school-hi-fi-influencer/

Enjoyed this article from a chap who rediscovered the joys of old school speaker design and amplifiers and writes passionately about what is brings to the music experience. 

Think alright to post... Mods let me know if I messed up. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the article .Only had a skim through  the article. Might read in more detail later. Seems he's turned his passion into an art form. Think he mentions he's an artist.

I like the philosophy and lifestyle style which requires creativity and commitment. Have to acknowledge the old stuff has had upgrades and tweaks and is an alternative to buying off the shelf. 

I stopped reading at the title. Why do people have to be called ‘influencer’? They used to be called ‘enthusiast’. Who has this person actually influenced? Probably less people that many on here!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
4 minutes ago, DomT said:

I stopped reading at the title. Why do people have to be called ‘influencer’? They used to be called ‘enthusiast’. Who has this person actually influenced? Probably less people that many on here!

Ditto👍

Did you the courtesy of actually reading the article and finding out who the guy is. It’s great that people are getting into valves and old school stuff. Because he found fame as a clothing designer first he of course is presented in an irritating light by the media. 

On 19/01/2021 at 14:20, DomT said:

Its a social media and youtube phenomenon that millennials are into in a big way, very profitable for those who make a career out of it.

Unbiased and independent they are not (as they get paid well for promoting the products or services). You need to have the gift of the gab, be trendy, famous or infamous, so that rules me out straight away. :rofl:

Edited by Glissando

Some of the Hi-fi Youtubers have a vested interest, I'm sure, but I highly doubt any of them are particularly coining it in. They're clearly done primarily out of a love for the hobby, and I find a lot of them far more engaging, informative and honest than Hi-fi mags. 

Darko gives a bit of insight into his process here. https://darko.audio/2020/12/x-ray-reflections/

"Google’s Adsense network (aka YouTube ad revenue) effectively rewards quantity over quality. I did the maths: any YouTuber wanting to make their ‘content creator’ gig a full-time concern through Adsense alone is effectively forced to upload a video every second or third day for at least the first year. No wonder a few are seduced by the increasing number of manufacturers offering free gear in exchange for a review."

I found this website deeply uninteresting..........

"Influencer"...... Ha! ........ Or in other words micro-celebrity 

"A micro-celebrity, also known as a micro-influencer, is a person famous within a niche group of users on a social media platform. Micro-celebrities often present themselves as public figures...."a new style of online performance that involves people 'amping up' their popularity over the Web using technologies like video, blogs and social networking sites".

I think the guy on the hifi site must be a nano-celebrity. Or as we used to call it a "poseur". 

Or as the French say, a "m'as-tu vu"

Edited by pmcuk
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

I found this website deeply uninteresting..........
"Influencer"...... Ha! ........ Or in other words micro-celebrity 

I don't think we are the target audience somehow. He has made a lifestyle decision and, for whatever reason, it includes the kind of gear many of us here enjoy. By the standards of younger people today it is bizarre, large ugly old bits and pieces taking up space, clutter to most, and he is making an aesthetic claim for what he does. I hope it works out even if not as I would prefer it to be done.

Without people like him and any whom he "influences" there is a diminishing future for our hobby. Our treasured turntables, valves, transformers, and big loudspeakers will just end up in recycling bins, since nobody is going to give a damn about anything less usable than a phone with earbuds or a battery Bluetooth speaker, just like our parents radiograms and televisions have.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Warszawa said:

Some of the Hi-fi Youtubers have a vested interest, I'm sure, but I highly doubt any of them are particularly coining it in. They're clearly done primarily out of a love for the hobby, and I find a lot of them far more engaging, informative and honest than Hi-fi mags. 

Darko gives a bit of insight into his process here. https://darko.audio/2020/12/x-ray-reflections/

"Google’s Adsense network (aka YouTube ad revenue) effectively rewards quantity over quality. I did the maths: any YouTuber wanting to make their ‘content creator’ gig a full-time concern through Adsense alone is effectively forced to upload a video every second or third day for at least the first year. No wonder a few are seduced by the increasing number of manufacturers offering free gear in exchange for a review."

Here are some examples of income from so called influencers

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/how-much-influencers-make_l_5dee68a6e4b05d1e8a556bbc

https://www.dummies.com/business/marketing/influence-marketing/how-much-money-do-bloggers-and-social-media-influencers-make/

Some nice pics, but a pretty dull article.

Super Wammer

Many years ago, I was listening to a BBC Radio 4 Comedy series. One of the sketches I remember clearly was a child asking their parents what "Lifestyle" means. The answer was: "It's what rich people have instead of a life" 

This sketch plays in my head whenever I hear terms such as Social Media Influencer and Lifestyle *Insert relevant word*

I have learned so much more from the people on this site. 

I've enjoyed the banter and I've enjoyed the warm hospitality of a few people at a couple of Bake Offs. 

I'd stick with this site to be honest. It's like a family. 

😎😎😎👍👍👍

• Like 1

Super Wammer

There’s still a lot of old school analogue gear out there that is still going strong after 50 yrs .. how much of the digital technology we see nowadays will be able to say that in 50 years .. I embrace it all so long as it sounds good ..

I have a lot of nostalgia for Leak preamps. I spent all my teens operating a Varislope preamp - the brown and gold one. Just the knobs alone fill me with nostalgia. They were plastic and basically fell apart, but they did look rather special. I loved all those old preamps - Radford, Rogers, all the old makes just not Quad - never liked that design. I'm very tempted to get and old Leak preamp, rip the guts out and put in a DHT circuit. I probably never will, but it's a nice fantasy.  

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 15.33.06.png

Edited by pmcuk