Handful of carts - which one for the Technics 1500c?

Sheq

11 minutes ago, Nearly bewildered said:

Shure m75 

I grew up with the Sure M75ED .. it was the std cartridge supplied by Comet on their turntables in the day ..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I grew up with the Sure M75ED .. it was the std cartridge supplied by Comet on their turntables in the day ..

I used a mx 97 on my linn turntable...half the price of my denon...I really liked the sound.

Of the cartridges in the picture, the only one that might be worth trying on the Technics is the Goldring 900. I’ve heard good things about it, but have never heard one myself.

I wouldn’t bother with any of the others.

The AKG's were pretty good in the day - in fact the P8ES, the top model, was a bit special and had a shibata tip. I always remember them because they looked a bit different to a lot of other stuff. University Audio in Cambridge (this is in the very early 80's) ran one in a Michell Focus One/Hadcock set-up.

I think the P6R was the entry-level model.

No! I’m happy with the Ortofon red straight out of the box! Might be because I’m coming from a old DJ straight arm turntable, but honestly the difference is absolutely stunning. It’s like I’m in the room with the musicians! 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beobloke said:

Of the cartridges in the picture, the only one that might be worth trying on the Technics is the Goldring 900. I’ve heard good things about it, but have never heard one myself.

I wouldn’t bother with any of the others.

Yes, I will try the Goldring for sure. Thank you. 

The Ortofon will be a similar spec to the 2M blue I reckon. The Pioneer looks to be a rebranded AT95e 

Edited by Tristan

• 2 months later...
On 04/02/2021 at 13:35, Sheq said:

It’s great! What an incredible turntable / phono stage / cart combo.  Very happy. :D

That's good to hear, mine is arriving between 2-3pm today.  Can't wait to get it all set up.

Have you kept the 2M Red on it and if so do you like it?  The reason I ask is that I've lost count f the forum posts where people rubbish the 2M Red.

Cheers

Andy

It looks impressive, If I was in the market for a new turntable I'd get the technics over the rega planar 6. Enjoy

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 20:09, Lurch said:

80s mm carts shouldn't be too bad, I'm running a A&R P77Mg very successfully on my 401/RB250 in my 2nd system. So much so that I've also got another complete P77Mg and a plain vanilla P77 cart though only 2 original, plastic boxes and stylus guards + 1 outer box. 

Have you tried adding a bit of capacitance yet? 

6 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

Have you tried adding a bit of capacitance yet? 

No, not yet, have the rca splitters and some 150 & 200s here ready but still using the Conqueror & ML on the 401. Once my Bardo comes back from repair in  Germany (sometime next week hopefully) I will transfer the arm and put the RB250/P77 back on the 401 and have a play.