B&O complete vintage system

iann

Not eBay, but Gumtree and this looks a great buy for any vintage style fetishists with room to host it.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/record-players-turntables/vintage-rare-bang-olufsen-music-system-record-player-amplifier-tape-player-speakers-rosewood/1391542923

When did hi fi stop looking this good........

I recently revived my Thorens TD 125 and my wife commented on how much better my hi fi corner looked. Bring back wood!

I love B&O but these models are just not that sought after and IMO £800 is grossly overpriced. The kit itself is worth maybe £200 - £250 tops (assuming excellent condition) the cabinet I'm not sure about as I've never seen one before. But I would be very, very surprised if it was worth the remaining £600. Others may beg to differ. But beobloke is your man if you want an expert opinion. I dare say he will spot this and give a better insight.

• Like 1

I sold these in ‘81. They were overpriced then and they are overpriced now.  Look nice though and that’s where the price comes in... I always liked the look of B&O and would have one of the old classics as background audio but it’s a lot of money for what it is.  

Edited by steve65

Well said, Steve. This is about style more than anything. You don’t buy, say, a mid century chair and complain that it’s overpriced compared to a modern chair! If the  cabinet is original too, then it’s a complete time capsule piece. No one buys early Dieter Rams stuff because it sounds great...........😉

• Upvote 1

The reason Deiter Rams kit is NOT overpriced is because there is demand from collectors and it sells for high prices because it's desirable. The advertised kit IS overpriced because there is very little demand for those particular models. The value I quoted was not  an opinion based on sound quality but only on what it normally sells for. The S50 speakers for example usually fetch pocket change, the last pair sold for £5.50

The price something is worth is only as much as someone is prepared to pay. Desirability/rarity drives demand and demand drives prices up. In the case of these particular B&O models I stand by my statement it is way overpriced. There are plenty of other B&O models that fit the desirability/demand model and as a result they fetch high prices. The beogram 4002 is a fine example. Originally selling for c£300 it now often fetches well in excess of £1,000

Take a look yourself and see if you can find and past sales that might justify this £800 price tag.

Ok, it’s overpriced. Your reply is a bit over tetchy.........😉

17 minutes ago, alphatoner said:

The reason Deiter Rams kit is NOT overpriced is because there is demand from collectors and it sells for high prices because it's desirable. The advertised kit IS overpriced because there is very little demand for those particular models. The value I quoted was not  an opinion based on sound quality but only on what it normally sells for. The S50 speakers for example usually fetch pocket change, the last pair sold for £5.50

The price something is worth is only as much as someone is prepared to pay. Desirability/rarity drives demand and demand drives prices up. In the case of these particular B&O models I stand by my statement it is way overpriced. There are plenty of other B&O models that fit the desirability/demand model and as a result they fetch high prices. The beogram 4002 is a fine example. Originally selling for c£300 it now often fetches well in excess of £1,000

Take a look yourself and see if you can find and past sales that might justify this £800 price tag.

Spot on.

Like the antiques market, just because something is old and uncommon doesn't automatically mean it's instantly worth a fortune.

Don't write off B&O kit as simply form over function. Some of their kit is superb and although expensive when new some carefully selected items can be great audiophile bargains second hand. I doubt I will ever sell my Beolab 9 active speakers or Beogram 1700 record deck.  

The price is a little optimistic - I'd say £300-400 is more realistic.

That said, it's a lovely system and well worth that amount.

I think it’s really retro cool.  Possibly it’s completeness will have more appeal to kitsch period  fans than for hi fi fans.  

Plenty of folk spend 800 quid on a 70s retro sideboard.

I’d give it room space.   

You see where I was coming from Gary! There’s a great Harry Enfield sketch on You Tube, part of his “I Saw You Coming” retro shop series, involving a B & O , if you can find it.....👍

• 7 months later...
On 30/01/2021 at 09:39, mr neds said:

Well said, Steve. This is about style more than anything. You don’t buy, say, a mid century chair and complain that it’s overpriced compared to a modern chair! If the  cabinet is original too, then it’s a complete time capsule piece. No one buys early Dieter Rams stuff because it sounds great...........😉

Yeah, I have a few mid-century chairs and they are overpriced these days too...

True. Wish I’d bought some mid century stuff 25 years ago. As we saved up, the prices went up faster 🤬