Cleaning Records (plenty of time) and rediscovery of ‘treasures’

COVID cleaning of records CLOSER ~ JOY DIVISION

I do 10 per day with audio systeme deck in theory but manage maybe 5days/week

Have just reached J after however many months 

A big plus is that it always leads to playing records for the first time in decades 

Ian Curtis absolutely mesmerising on this one

Closer was my most played album throughout my 1st year as a student and has been long forgotten, astonishing really, though maybe not with marriage, fatherhood etc

Listening 40 years or so on and on a ‘proper’ system, it sounds absolutely fantastic 

The vinyl has survived considerable abuse and ‘scrubbed up nicely’

’oh how I realise’

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I've been on a fairly epic cleaning spree since I got my Project VC-E, and I listen to each record after cleaning to see if I think it needs to go round again. Been mixing up main favourites with ones that haven't been played in a while. I've found it a great way to dig out those records that you've forgotten how much you like.

• Upvote 3

The last couple of days I have been having to move half my record collection, which has been no small feat. The problem was where it was being kept, as it had started to have damp problems on the outside walls 😟. Anyway have managed to move just over a thousand records to much better conditions. The joy has been discovering records I had long forgotten I owned (probably an age thing !). The VPI rcm has been getting a bit of use, and I have been amazed, at just how good these 40-50 year old records sound. Lots of happy memories being revisited.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, huwge said:

COVID cleaning of records CLOSER ~ JOY DIVISION

I do 10 per day with audio systeme deck in theory but manage maybe 5days/week

Have just reached J after however many months 

A big plus is that it always leads to playing records for the first time in decades 

Ian Curtis absolutely mesmerising on this one

Closer was my most played album throughout my 1st year as a student and has been long forgotten, astonishing really, though maybe not with marriage, fatherhood etc

Listening 40 years or so on and on a ‘proper’ system, it sounds absolutely fantastic 

The vinyl has survived considerable abuse and ‘scrubbed up nicely’

’oh how I realise’

I just need to know how on earth you could forget Closer ? A stone cold classic Album.

I discovered Jazz

• Like 1

Classic album. Add me to the list of Wammers cleaning approx. 10-15 records per day. They are all sounding better for it. Am cataloguing on Discogs as I clean, what a resource that website is. Fascinating working out which versions I have from the last 42 years of buying vinyl, and further back for my dads old records.

7 hours ago, huwge said:

I discovered Jazz

:nerves:

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Headcoat said:

Classic album. Add me to the list of Wammers cleaning approx. 10-15 records per day. They are all sounding better for it. Am cataloguing on Discogs as I clean, what a resource that website is. Fascinating working out which versions I have from the last 42 years of buying vinyl, and further back for my dads old records.

I catalogued all my vinyl on Discogs last year, which was the catalyst to buy a RCM and get them into a playable condition. I've managed to clean around 54 items so far this week, but it's quite a faff while also trying to work. The cat and the kids really don't like the sound of the Velvet Vortex and my wife doesn't like the "mess" of stuff scattered around either. I'll probably finish this box, then leave it till we get our garden office and I can set up permanently.

They're all coming out wonderfully clean, I'm looking forward to playing them all again.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, huwge said:

I discovered Jazz

You have my deepest condolences.... 

;-) ;-) :D

It always amazes me how much better most LPs sound once they've been cleaned, even if they weren't noisy to begin with.

• Upvote 1

For me I had used a Lenco clean for many years .. the problem was when I stopped using the lenco clean those that had been played with it were unplayable without .. so for some years i had got CD replacements and just played the albums I had bought since "giving up the lenco clean" .. I decided to invest in an Okki and spent a series of weekends cleaning the 700 or so albums I had been unable to play.  So for me it gave me back my record collection.

I should add the lenco clean was seductive as playing albums resulted in very little noise, the lubrication lengthened stylys life BUT eventually capillary action takes the liquid into the cartridge and that is end of (it did take quite a few years though).   If i had stuck with MM cartridges I would no doubt still be using it.

I mention all this because the lenco clean is a mohair brush which "brushes the liquid" into the groove ahead of the stylus .. when it dries any dust that was on the record dries onto it (think dirty dishes and how deposits are glued untll released by hot water and washing up liquid).  It was for that reason I shied away from the Spin Clean and other methods (I tried cleaning an old lenco cleaned record on a friend's and the results were iffy but of course the dried on dirt was more severe than just dust).  Any dirt on the lp after cleaning with such a non vacuum device will dry on and that is worse than loose dust and so I opted for the vacuum type cleaner.