I'm contemplating getting a streamer for my HiFi, also maybe an NAS drive, but don't really know much about them so could anyone help with some questions?

I understand the NAS would be connected  to the ethernet which also connects my internet router to my TV and would also connect to a streamer.  Are there any particular spec requirements for a NAS to get the best sound quality?

if I RIP CDs on my laptop, or download high quality music files, what is the best way to get the files onto the NAS?  Can the be done wirelessly via my router's Wifi ? 

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the NAS for other purposes, particularly large photo and video files which I can edit on my laptop (eg using Lightroom)

Is there any reason I couldn't store the same music in different formats; lossless for the streamer and more compressed for downloading to my phone using iTunes?

Thanks

Edited by on the rocks
clarity
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I beg to download differ Radio 3, good roof aerial and Musical Fidelity A5 tuner. But as I said it’s down to priorities and enjoying my CD collection 

I sell enterprise NAS. no such thing as audiophile NAS,  just some very over priced, re purposed low end commercial devices. Most important thing is good network and to have NAS box sited wa

If all you are going to do is use the NAS as a Music server I am sure the above advice is excellent but it would be a very large hammer to crack a rather small nut . At the really low cost level a Ras

3 hours ago, on the rocks said:

I understand the NAS would be connected  to the ethernet which also connects my internet router to my TV and would also connect to a streamer.  Are there any particular spec requirements for a NAS to get the best sound quality?

I sell enterprise NAS.

no such thing as audiophile NAS,  just some very over priced, re purposed low end commercial devices.

Most important thing is good network and to have NAS box sited way from streamer source. Another room ideal. 
don’t bother with RAID. Use full disc capacity.

if I RIP CDs on my laptop, or download high quality music files, what is the best way to get the files onto the NAS?  Can the be done wirelessly via my router's Wifi ? 

You can copy ripped files, folders, or volumes with windows file manager or Mac file services.  If you are using NAS, you will need decent network, so use that over wi fi for large transfers.  Far quicker and more stable 

Is there any reason why I couldn't use the NAS for other purposes, particularly large photo and video files which I can edit on my laptop (eg using Lightroom)

No reason at all, it is in the essence of network file services.  Just do you sizing calculations well.   NAS boxes perform well Until 80% filled, then performance on reads and writes, tails off. At 95% full most will run like dogs.

Is there any reason I couldn't store the same music in different formats; lossless for the streamer and more compressed for downloading to my phone using iTunes?

No reason, providing you have space, just copy volume to different folder on NAS, rename, then batch convert using something like DBPoweramp.  You can convert from FLAC downwards to MP3 etc, at different bit rates, then rename. 

• Like 1

If all you are going to do is use the NAS as a Music server I am sure the above advice is excellent but it would be a very large hammer to crack a rather small nut . At the really low cost level a Raspberry Pi 4 with an attached USB HD would work just as well . Or if you prefer the ready constructed the Blue Sound Node 2i is very well liked by many and again you can attach a USB HD for storage . If on the other hand you are using the NAS for a small business or have lots of users at home who need storage for their work then the NAS is the way to go and you can get some advice on which models to consider.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, on the rocks said:

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed response

You are welcome.  I should add that I am currently copying 8TB of MKV across the network to a new drive.  It’s running at 120-15)Mb/s, which is OK.   Daughter is streaming movies somewhere in house, SWMBO streaming R4 in kitchen, and I had Qobuz hi res streaming in man cave.   So there is little or no impact from the file transfers.

Note that larger files generally always transfer more quickly than lots of little files (MP3s etc)

Whilst you will have read a lot about NAS, it’s seldom completely snag free, fit and forget, particularly if you will run any media server on it for movies etc.  DAS is still a very good, better sometimes option.  Way cheaper too.  

You can currently get on Bezos Inc, a WD Elements 12Tb usb 3.0 desktop drive for £188.  These are very reliable.  If you are leaving PC on but hardwired to router, with a DAS device connected, you can still set up a share for movies and music, pics etc.  12Tb is plenty space for starter, particularly if you want to batch convert your music from one codec to another and write output to the same drive.   Not mandatory but you should still keep at least one other copy.

Good luck.  

For someone starting from scratch I think it's at least worth considering if an online streaming service like Qobuz might actually provide the music you want without the hassle of ripping loads of CDs and managing files on additional hardware. 

I just moved from a WD MyCloud (terrible slow experience), to a Qnap TS-253Be with a couple of raided 8TB IronWolf drives.
It's ace. You can even install and run Roon server on the NAS itself which I love.
No expert, but to me it feels like an ace little home NAS, setup so all three PCs in the house backup to it, it even controls my outdoor security cameras with an app installed on it.
A little Windows and Networking understanding is a good thing, especially if you're setting it up fresh and putting your own drives in.

22 hours ago, on the rocks said:

Personally, I would only buy a NAS if I was going to use it for multiple purposes such as the above. These days there are many streamers with inbuilt hard drives that negate the need for NAS. 

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Surely the main value of a NAS is if someone wants to access the music files from multiple devices?

But lots of music servers offer the same . Plus a NAS is quite poor in energy use and as you have it on 24/7 perhaps not the most green option ?

Edited by bencat
3 minutes ago, bencat said:

But lots of music servers offer the same . Plus a NAS is quite poor in energy use and as you have it on 24/7 perhaps not the most green option ?

I realise it wasn't obvious but I was actually coming from the perspective that the OP didn't seem to need one :).

54 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I realise it wasn't obvious but I was actually coming from the perspective that the OP didn't seem to need one :).

That’s been pointed out.

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

Surely the main value of a NAS is if someone wants to access the music files from multiple devices?

Setting up shares from a DAS devices offers same multiple user  access, As long as host pc or mini server is online.

I don't think it's clear the OP wants music access from multiple locations? My post that seems to have confused people was following on from one suggesting just using a steamer with a built-in hard drive... Or indeed a USB hard drive plugged directly into a streamer could be used.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I don't think it's clear the OP wants music access from multiple locations? My post that seems to have confused people was following on from one suggesting just using a steamer with a built-in hard drive... Or indeed a USB hard drive plugged directly into a streamer could be used.

I do not have huge experience with lots of the stand alone streamers bu from what I have read most have Upnp facility which means any player that has that as well can access them . If you use Logitech Media Server (which is on Innuos and Raspberry Pi with right distro) Then any player has access to the music stored on the LMS .  I would guess that a Node 2i will be abe to be seen and accessed over a network by players and play the music stored on a USB HD attached to it . Never having used one this my be wrong but will leave those with hands on experience to advise .

Another very simple alternative is any router that has a USB input . You can add your USB HD to the router and most players will be able to see that as a source on your network . You can then use various players like Jriver , Bubble Upnp etc to access and play the music.

Edited by bencat