Sign in to follow this  
akamatsu

Turntables are good for your health

Stumbled upon this article:

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/05/953249677/exercised-explains-why-it-can-be-hard-to-commit-to-working-out-and-why-we-should

It says that while sitting, it's good for us to get up periodically. Kind of like what us turntable users do about every twenty minutes to change record sides.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Stumbled upon this article:

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/05/953249677/exercised-explains-why-it-can-be-hard-to-commit-to-working-out-and-why-we-should

It says that while sitting, it's good for us to get up periodically. Kind of like what us turntable users do about every twenty minutes to change record sides.

I see he says a study showed getting up every half hour for 100 seconds was beneficial.  Sounds like playing records to me.  Definitely beats sitting on your butt for hours watching TV!:D

• Like 2

There is also the tendency to move around whilst listening as it is so musical!

• Like 2

Changing a record every 20 minutes may be beneficial, but drinking booze has even more health benefits.

Getting off the couch to change a record every 20 minutes or so: 22 calories per hour.

‘Listening to music while tapping toes, each hour:   34 calories 

Total:    22 +34 = 56 calories per hour listening to music and changing the records.

According to the Bodacious Underachiever’s Royal Pubgoers Society (BURPS) , even more beneficial for your health is balancing 3 cases of beer or wine under your arms and carrying it  from the store to the car, and then into the house: . 46 calories 

‘Stocking the fridge with booze:     21 calories 

Getting up off the couch every 20 minutes to get another drink and pouring it into a glass:  22 calories per hour

Toe-tapping and air guitar:   46 calories per hour

Lifting the glass, using eye-hand coordination to find your mouth:      12 calories 

‘Finding the couch and maintaining an upright position while seated:     27 calories per hour 

Total: 46 + 21 + 22 + 46 + 12 + 27  = 172 calories per hour   😂

Edited by Paulssurround

With a cat that loves to have fun with your turntable when playing, it would be definitely more effective. 

• Like 1

I get some stair climbing in as well as walking as my turntable is in the basement on the opposite end of the house.  I need to really hustle to get back to my listening room before the song begins.  Eight-two steps in all to flip the record.

Edited by John76
  • Like 1

Nice try Paulsurround.  By my figuring you would get all those benefits doing the same thing with bottles of water without the problem of balancing out the 172 calories per hour with the 199 calories in a pint of Guinness (or the 149 of a bottle of Corona).;-)

6 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Nice try Paulsurround.  By my figuring you would get all those benefits doing the same thing with bottles of water without the problem of balancing out the 172 calories per hour with the 199 calories in a pint of Guinness (or the 149 of a bottle of Corona).;-)

Yes, but Guinness calories aren't real calories; everyone knows that! :D

Keep fit audio 

1 hour ago, Andyt916 said:

Yes, but Guinness calories aren't real calories; everyone knows that! :D

Ah a Brit pontificating on something quintessentially Irish! :roll: :P

Edited by DebsE

We aren't talking about Calories and loosing weight. We are talking about getting up off of our backsides every 20 to 30 minutes. Doing this alone has health benefits over just sitting there. So, get up, grab some liquid refreshment of your choice, and continue to listen to music, which may have its own health benefits. :pint:

1 hour ago, DebsE said:

Ah a Brit pontificating on something quintessentially Irish! :roll: :P

Pontificating? What are you on about?

Yes, I'm British. Yes, I like Guinness. If truth be told I probably drink more of it than is good for me, so I see no problem in making a harmless quip about it's calories not counting!

If you wish to conflate that into some kind of imagined anti-Irish sentiment I'm afraid that says far more about you than it does about me!

Oh FFS! Notice the Smilies? Take a joke and stop being so sensitive.

40 minutes ago, DebsE said:

Oh FFS! Notice the Smilies? Take a joke and stop being so sensitive.

I mis-interpreted your emojis; my apologies.

Sign in to follow this