Jump to content

Upgrade: Akurate Radikal to Klimax Radikal


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, mskaye said:

I had FM buzzing through my Naim system too.  Has anyone ever addressed that design flaw?  And this was during Julian's time too...hmmm. 

I think it was my NAC 12S that was great at picking up police chatter if they parked nearby. Really clear!

’troll

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 06:01, Moomintroll said:

I’m intrigued. How is the Urika told to switch on and off if the motor control is handled by another Radikal?

’troll

The way to do this is to hook up both the motor and Urika to one Radikal PSU (in this case the ARad) and start the platter.  Then unplug the motor connector and plug it into the KRadikal and turn the motor on again.  The Urika will now stay powered up until you power down the ARadikal.

To answer another question, since I found two ARadikals were musically inferior to one I don't see how they could logically approach a single Klimax Radikal.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

I think it was my NAC 12S that was great at picking up police chatter if they parked nearby. Really clear!

’troll

I had a 12S and then a 32.5.  I remember when Naim was developing the NAT01, which took a fair bit of time, that we used to kid that they just needed to figure out how to tune to other stations than the one the preamps already picked up!:minikev:

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

The way to do this is to hook up both the motor and Urika to one Radikal PSU (in this case the ARad) and start the platter.  Then unplug the motor connector and plug it into the KRadikal and turn the motor on again.  The Urika will now stay powered up until you power down the ARadikal.

To answer another question, since I found two ARadikals were musically inferior to one I don't see how they could logically approach a single Klimax Radikal.

Technical merit is waning quickly. I'm beginning to think that the dealer suggested this in order to sell me a second Klimax Radikal. :D

The need to unplug, plug, unplug, and plug makes this exercise entirely moot. I'm not going to do all of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Technical merit is waning quickly. I'm beginning to think that the dealer suggested this in order to sell me a second Klimax Radikal. :D

The need to unplug, plug, unplug, and plug makes this exercise entirely moot. I'm not going to do all of that.

It is worth doing it once just to find out for yourself that it absolutely doesn't work.;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listened to Genesis, "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" last night. WOW! I think the needle on the "New record collection" meter was pegged. It was unrecognizable in some places. The ARadikal and KRadikal are two different components, not the same in different boxes.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, akamatsu said:

Listened to Genesis, "Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" last night. WOW! I think the needle on the "New record collection" meter was pegged. It was unrecognizable in some places. The ARadikal and KRadikal are two different components, not the same in different boxes.

So how do you explain that the innards of both are the same? 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Daveyf said:

So how do you explain that the innards of both are the same? 

Mainly Scottish air.  Only half joking.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Daveyf said:

So how do you explain that the innards of both are the same? 

I'm not entirely clear about the question. Did you mean to ask why they sound different even though the innards are the same?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@akamatsu  you stated that the two are different components, yet they are identical in their innards…only real difference is in the casing. Therefore, they are the same but in different boxes.

Like I stated before, the main difference is how the two treat vibrations, which can be mitigated with better isolation for the ARadikal, IME.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daveyf said:

@akamatsu  you stated that the two are different components, yet they are identical in their innards…only real difference is in the casing. Therefore, they are the same but in different boxes.

Like I stated before, the main difference is how the two treat vibrations, which can be mitigated with better isolation for the ARadikal, IME.

Davey, would placing the ARadikal well away from the speakers  maybe sheltered in an alcove behind say a chimney breast help? With Urika 2 Exalt link that would be easy to do? 

You say mitigate. Would the machined Klimax still be slightly ahead?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Daveyf said:

@akamatsu  you stated that the two are different components, yet they are identical in their innards…only real difference is in the casing. Therefore, they are the same but in different boxes.

If one didn't know the innards were the same, and listened to both, one would think that they were different power supplies. Of course, they are different as they are not the same.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

If one didn't know the innards were the same, and listened to both, one would think that they were different power supplies. Of course, they are different as they are not the same.

And some people dismiss the sonic benefits of pricey isolation tweaks (platforms, stands, footers, spikes, damping plates, etc.! 

This is pretty much what we are dealing with here, if the Klimax case is the only difference in the two.   

I'm not one of the skeptical here. I have heard big improvements in my system w all of the above.  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, mskaye said:

And some people dismiss the sonic benefits of pricey isolation tweaks (platforms, stands, footers, spikes, damping plates, etc.! 

This is pretty much what we are dealing with here, if the Klimax case is the only difference in the two.   

I'm not one of the skeptical here. I have heard big improvements in my system w all of the above.  

Absolutely!!

The Klimax Radikal casework provides better EMI shielding and improved vibration control compared to the Akurate Radikal casework.

The new NGKDSM takes EMI shielding and improved vibration control with it’s casework to even higher levels again, compared to the previous Klimax Hub/DSM, and weighs about twice as much.

I would be very curious to listen to the inner components from an Akurate or Klimax Radikal placed inside the new NGKDSM casework.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Absolutely!!

The Klimax Radikal casework provides better EMI shielding and improved vibration control compared to the Akurate Radikal casework.

The new NGKDSM takes EMI shielding and improved vibration control with it’s casework to even higher levels again, compared to the previous Klimax Hub/DSM, and weighs about twice as much.

I would be very curious to listen to the inner components from an Akurate or Klimax Radikal placed inside the new NGKDSM casework.

Well I'm definitely sold on the Klimax case, and anything else Klimax level. The Akurate stuff is starting to look rather "entry level" to me now.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...