Upgrade: Akurate Radikal to Klimax Radikal

2 hours ago, mskaye said:

And some people dismiss the sonic benefits of pricey isolation tweaks (platforms, stands, footers, spikes, damping plates, etc.! 

This is pretty much what we are dealing with here, if the Klimax case is the only difference in the two.   

I'm not one of the skeptical here. I have heard big improvements in my system w all of the above.  

Exactly. Isolating the case of the ARad with decent footers makes all the difference. Adding to that a better power cord and there becomes no difference that i can hear between the cases. 
There are always folk who want to pay for elaborate and pricey casing, For example, Dan D’Agostino knows all about that…

Edited by Daveyf

Though alumin(i)um is not magnetic, when it has been CNC-milled it does emit an invisible field. When the flux lines from that field intersect a stationary audiophile the sound in the room improves.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Daveyf said:

Exactly. Isolating the case of the ARad with decent footers makes all the difference. Adding to that a better power cord and there becomes no difference that i can hear between the cases. 

I wanted to go that route, but I couldn't afford the better power cord. :D

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I wanted to go that route, but I couldn't afford the better power cord. :D

Save up for an aftermarket power cord for your KRadikal...it will make a difference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daveyf said:

Save up for an aftermarket power cord for your KRadikal...it will make a difference.

I have never gone aftermarket power cord on the Lingos I've owned but have for everything else in the system.  

Don't forget upgraded power outlets too. Oyaide outlets made a substantial improvement in my system. I actually may try out the Audioquest Niagra 1200.  Always opted to avoid power conditioners but the technology has evolved and my fears are based on word of mouth from 20+ years ago.  Everything I read from well regarded sources make me think this one is a winner.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mskaye said:

I have never gone aftermarket power cord on the Lingos I've owned but have for everything else in the system.  

Don't forget upgraded power outlets too. Oyaide outlets made a substantial improvement in my system. I actually may try out the Audioquest Niagra 1200.  Always opted to avoid power conditioners but the technology has evolved and my fears are based on word of mouth from 20+ years ago.  Everything I read from well regarded sources make me think this one is a winner.  

Agree, the power outlet is important. The Oyaide R1 is a great option. I use this with a dedicated 20amp line and it made a considerable improvement.  Power conditioners are a hit and miss thing IME, you have to try them in your system and listen. I recently tried an Audience conditioner, it was inferior from direct to wall. I am going to try a few others, but I may end up with none..which saves the pocketbook. 

Power cords and good gear isolation are also very important, which is why I suggested an upgraded power cord for the Radikal. ( and yes it does make a difference!) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Daveyf said:

Agree, the power outlet is important. The Oyaide R1 is a great option. I use this with a dedicated 20amp line and it made a considerable improvement.  Power conditioners are a hit and miss thing IME, you have to try them in your system and listen. I recently tried an Audience conditioner, it was inferior from direct to wall. I am going to try a few others, but I may end up with none..which saves the pocketbook. 

Power cords and good gear isolation are also very important, which is why I suggested an upgraded power cord for the Radikal. ( and yes it does make a difference!) 

On a separate note, I would use this LP to demonstrate a system. A guilty pleasure, it still brings joy 30 years after it came out. It's a total amazing mashup of so many pop culture and musical references. Kind of like the Quentin Tarantino version of music.   Bad ass drums and guitar and amazing vocals.  I do understand it will not be for everyone. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/that-record-got-me-high-podcast/id1369133152

Edited by mskaye

On 25/07/2021 at 02:27, Daveyf said:

Not necessarily for the better...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Tendaberry said:
On 24/07/2021 at 20:27, Daveyf said:

We've always said it is easy to make a difference but much more difficult to make an improvement...

• Like 3

On 24/07/2021 at 17:38, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

Though alumin(i)um is not magnetic, when it has been CNC-milled it does emit an invisible field. When the flux lines from that field intersect a stationary audiophile the sound in the room improves.

This wouldn't work for me as when my system is playing I find it too difficult to be stationary.;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

We've always said it is easy to make a difference but much more difficult to make an improvement...

You will never know unless you try....B|

12 hours ago, Tendaberry said:

It's actually pretty hard to go backwards from the stock cord...but same applies to you as I stated to Thomas.

10 hours ago, Daveyf said:

It's actually pretty hard to go backwards from the stock cord...but same applies to you as I stated to Thomas.

Oh, I have tried and I always went back :D

Edited by Tendaberry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Daveyf said:

You will never know unless you try....B|

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (literally).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I totally disagree.  I have tried numerous fancy power cables at all kinds of different price ranges and have yet to find one I prefer in my system over the stock cable Linn provides, which is a very good cable.  I have found two cables I find more musical than the current Linn power cable.  One is an older Linn power cable made by Longwell which was my reference for several years.  The other is the most recent Lejonklou US AC cable made by Volex which is even better.  My dealers seem to like them too as I have had a number of orders for a half dozen cables.  None of these are expensive cables but they do musically outperform the other things I have tried.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1