Upgrade: Akurate Radikal to Klimax Radikal

3 hours ago, saxo said:

Big price difference between Radikal Klimax and Akurate, Klimax is superb and the music is even better. I made a 10mm aluminum case, it is less beautiful than Klimax case but the music is superior to Radikal Akurate. mini_210126110203901293.jpg

Very nice @saxo. You mounted the Dynamik power supply in the same plane as with the Klimax Radikal, which is better.

Do you use the unit upside down with the pc components facing down? This box must be heavy.

It is of paramount importance that the orientation of the boards are consistent as this enables the music to flow without confusion and path loss.

This makes the Klimax box in comparison to the Akurate less muddled.:whistle:;)

Edited by Mr Kandid
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

It is of paramount importance that the orientation of the boards are consistent as this enables the music to flow without confusion and path loss.

No, Klimax Radikal was made for down under. Because of the great success it.‘s now available in the rest of the world.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ben Webster said:

No, Klimax Radikal was made for down under. Because of the great success it.‘s now available in the rest of the world.

Wait.......  If that's the case (no pun intended) then if it was designed to work optimally in Oz, we need to turn it upside down in the northern hemisphere???

In my humble opinion, the electonic cards in the klimax are fixed upside down, on the solid block of aluminum of 10 kg inert to vibratory effects, at the same time the cover with the feet is turned upside down with the screws invisible under. My modest case also weighs 10Kg, it is less beautiful than the superb Linn klimax.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 24/01/2021 at 17:07, HBerg said:

Ok, so somebody feels the difference is so great that the Akurate sounds broken and others don’t here any difference, including Linn. 
Anybody have a clue if it is the Urika that performs better or the motor when the case is Klimax?

I am not running a Urika but the Lejonklou SINGularity MC phono stages and have done the comparisons with those.  The Klimax is definitely more musical just driving the motor, as it is when driving both the motor and the Urika.  Linn claimed the Klimax Radikal was musically the same as the Akurate version when it first came out.  This was before the Dynamik power supply and the newer Akurate casework.  Linn has not really made any comments about it recently so it is hard to say what their thinking is on it.  

In answer to some of the other questions.  Two Radikals are actually not as musical as one when using a Urika regardless of which Radikals you use.  Not sure why, possibly something like a grounding issue, but I and others have tried it.  The motors are not specific to a certain controller/PSU.  Currently they do come with the same serial number on the motor as on the controller but they had no serial number on the motor in the early days.  I have noticed that often times dealers don't bother matching up the numbers when selling a demo unit, not wanting to bother pulling the motor out of their LP12 and just selling the old chassis with the new motor and accessories.  Strange as it may seem, I do believe the boards being upside down in the KRadikal, and both facing the same direction, has an effect on the musical performance.  I did a umber of clips that I posted on the Lejonklou forum a few years ago that compared the Klimax Radikal to the Akurate Radikal with both units played right side up and upside down.  To try and make it as fair as possible I bought a set of the rubber pads that are fitted into both the Klimax and Akurate feet and used them under the units when they were upside down in the same positions the feet are on the bottom.  I believe it was unanimous (or at least close to it) that the Klimax Radikal right side up was the most musical, the Akurate Radikal right side up was the least musical and the two units upside down were in the middle with differences of opinion of which one sounded better upside down.  to this day several of my customers use their Akurate Radikal upside down and others have upgraded to KRadikal.  You wouldn't think it would make a difference but it does.  Also the main board is attached differently to the Klimax top case than the same board is fastened to the Akurate bottom case.  Three screws instead of five and two of those three in different positions than the four on the Akurate.  You would expect Linn have some reason for doing this.

Sorry, akamatsu, it is worth doing and Linn has never offered a case change.  I'm not honestly not sure why not as swapping the boards from one case to another would be a simple matter.  Certainly simpler than some of the other upgrades Linn have allowed the dealers to do.  Certainly some of the dealer-performed electronic upgrades required the removal and refitting of many more screws!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I'll get the Klimax cased Radikal before too long. My only concern is rumour of a Radikal II. I'll call the dealer again today. They were too busy yesterday.

I'll hold onto my Akurate Radikal and it will be installed on a Majik LP12 for the Japan house.

Edited by akamatsu

1 hour ago, akamatsu said:

I'll get the Klimax cased Radikal before too long. My only concern is rumour of a Radikal II. I'll call the dealer again today. They were too busy yesterday.

I'll hold onto my Akurate Radikal and it will be installed on a Majik LP12 for the Japan house.

That sounds like a very worthwhile way of doing it.

• Like 1

Just now, ThomasOK said:

That sounds like a very worthwhile way of doing it.

I am thinking the best value gained from a surplus Radikal would be to use it rather than to sell it. Again, I'll call the dealer today and discuss a game plan.

2 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I'll get the Klimax cased Radikal before too long. My only concern is rumour of a Radikal II.

Hi 

Don't hold your breath for a Radikal II it happened  when they went Dynamik.

Just like the second SE Ekos is the SE/1.

B|:^

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Kandid said:

Hi 

Don't hold your breath for a Radikal II it happened  when they went Dynamik.

Just like the second SE Ekos is the SE/1.

B|:^

I agree. I'd rather not hold my breath. I was told by two separate reliable sources (one from Linn HQ) that it would be about three years out, and that was one year ago. I just don't want to have to upgrade twice. It's starting to add up to big money.

4 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I agree. I'd rather not hold my breath. I was told by two separate reliable sources (one from Linn HQ) that it would be about three years out, and that was one year ago. I just don't want to have to upgrade twice. It's starting to add up to big money.

With Linn’s 50th coming up in two (?) years I would expect a big focus on Lp12 upgrades. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, arm said:

With Linn’s 50th coming up in two (?) years I would expect a big focus on Lp12 upgrades. 

The word before Karousel was released was "one LP12 upgrade product introduced per year for the next few years."

25 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

The word before Karousel was released was "one LP12 upgrade product introduced per year for the next few years."

Ya, but it’s the 50th. Gotta do something big. A game changer . A 50th lp12.  

Edited by arm
  • Upvote 1