Get yer kit serviced.

hiesteem

My Cyrus amp / Marantz CDP are 19 years old - both sound/look/work as well as they did on day 1.

They won't be getting a service. (And I'm qualified to do it).

• Like 1

I've been giving some thought to whether or not I should get my trusty 27-year old Pioneer A400 amp looked at, as it's now back in regular use after a hiatus. I've never had the covers off it to look inside and visually check the component health. Still sounds OK but I'm wondering if there are any future issues being stored up.

I suppose I'm mainly thinking about re-capping (and perhaps getting the little red power LED replaced as it's become so faint you can barely see it).

But then again I'm also thinking "leave well enough alone", in case the disturbance sets off a chain reaction and ends up needing a lot more work! Been there a couple of years ago with my phono stage, which ended up needing a rebuild to the power supply.

But then again again, there could be performance benefits from renewing tired components.

What to do....

• Like 1

I keep toying with (though it’s only had about 100hrs listening since mf serviced it years back) the idea of getting my a1000 serviced/upgraded with js audio. I’m told that the difference in sound will be significant. Does this not mean the amp will have a completely different setup/spec to the original. Should I do it when it’s a totally original iconic amp?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jules_S said:

I've been giving some thought to whether or not I should get my trusty 27-year old Pioneer A400 amp looked at, as it's now back in regular use after a hiatus. I've never had the covers off it to look inside and visually check the component health. Still sounds OK but I'm wondering if there are any future issues being stored up.

I suppose I'm mainly thinking about re-capping (and perhaps getting the little red power LED replaced as it's become so faint you can barely see it).

But then again I'm also thinking "leave well enough alone", in case the disturbance sets off a chain reaction and ends up needing a lot more work! Been there a couple of years ago with my phono stage, which ended up needing a rebuild to the power supply.

But then again again, there could be performance benefits from renewing tired components.

What to do....

What it came down to for me, was how much do I Iike the amp? How much would it cost to replace the amp? and would the modern stuff be as good as a restored A400?

Also I got a quote which was very reasonable and this is where the main body of trust comes in. Finding a guy and taking a risk based on your own judgement.

I took a risk, but then I would...... glad I did though. I was told by someone in the business after I had it fixed that none of the amps I was looking at would be as good as what I have, which backed up my gamble really.

Also it's great when you slot it back into the system and everything is far more disernable to listen too.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, tackleberry said:

I keep toying with (though it’s only had about 100hrs listening since mf serviced it years back) the idea of getting my a1000 serviced/upgraded with js audio. I’m told that the difference in sound will be significant. Does this not mean the amp will have a completely different setup/spec to the original. Should I do it when it’s a totally original iconic amp?

I always ask myself , am I enjoying the music through my kit. I have heard of that amp, but never listened to it. Also heard JS does a good job. But you will probably have a different sounding amp once it comes back and is that what you want? 

I think your situation is similar but different to mine, as mine had packed up, although much improved when I got it back.

Might be an idea to ask on the Musical Fidelity owners forum here as they will know the likely outcome if you have it upgraded by JS. Nice choice to have though!

Edited by hiesteem

It would be well worth asking John Sampson about A1000 upgrading if you're interested or concerned about changes.
He is an honest chap & will tell you what can be done. I've had several MF items upgraded by JS & they were all improved.

Musical Fidelity won't service gear upgraded by JS and will probably not provide advice here...

• Like 1

I have a 70s Vintage Pioneer SA 706 with the twin UV meters among the gear for the mancave and was considering having it overhauled .I haven’t used it in nearly 30years . In lovely condition and boxed up .. when I tested it recently one of the UV meter lights was not working 

Its finding the right person to do it that’s always the problem ..I’m a dab hand at finishing but electronics is just not my thang

• Like 1

If it's valve gear it's good to have someone check the valves and voltages.

There are some nice caps around. Like Russian FT-2 and FT-3 teflon. And the C4AQ series of Kemet DC Link caps. These will certainly make a difference to the sound. 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2021 at 21:27, bigrod said:

I have a 70s Vintage Pioneer SA 706 with the twin UV meters among the gear for the mancave and was considering having it overhauled .I haven’t used it in nearly 30years . In lovely condition and boxed up .. when I tested it recently one of the UV meter lights was not working 

Its finding the right person to do it that’s always the problem ..I’m a dab hand at finishing but electronics is just not my thang

Sounds like a rare bit of vintage kit. Has to be worth looking after!

Had some Naim kit serviced by Darren at Class A Sheffield a few years ago. I was initially sceptical as I had tried some interchangeable boards sourced from elsewhere and they didn't make much or any difference. However the 42.5/110 combo had a definite improvement. He was very honest and actually stated that the service may not have been necessary and asked if I still wanted to go ahead with it as one of the items had been assembled incorrectly which he found odd. He said just rectifying this would probably bring about a big improvement that I would be pleased with. I subsequently took him another bit of kit that he fettled and the difference was noticeable.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2021 at 19:27, Pete the Feet said:

Had some Naim kit serviced by Darren at Class A Sheffield a few years ago. I was initially sceptical as I had tried some interchangeable boards sourced from elsewhere and they didn't make much or any difference. However the 42.5/110 combo had a definite improvement. He was very honest and actually stated that the service may not have been necessary and asked if I still wanted to go ahead with it as one of the items had been assembled incorrectly which he found odd. He said just rectifying this would probably bring about a big improvement that I would be pleased with. I subsequently took him another bit of kit that he fettled and the difference was noticeable.

I have heard good things about Class A  fettling and upgrading of Naim kit. Personally having had the same kit for so long and having it serviced and a lot of parts replaced, the benefits have been sonically obvious. My engineer whom used to work for Roksan said all amps need servicing eventually.

I did and it’s been a nightmare, amp back to technician for the 3rd time, been waiting 10 weeks on the latest diagnosis for an issue after a full service, wish I’d left it alone

• Sad 1