Is it worth buying an SACD Player vs a DAC

Thank you all, you’ve largely backed up what what my equally large gut was telling me. I wish the desire to keep on exploring new kit could be suppressed by doing something other than exploring new kit! I think I will try a dac sometime in the future, I had also come to the conclusion that it wasn’t going to be cheap if I wanted a noticeable improvement. The other factor is that it would give me the option of room correction, often something I read about and find myself frustrated that I can’t try it. Having said that, I would wait on that until it requires less user input and is potentially even cleverer than it is now...I digress, as always, great to hear your views.

Big collection of SACDs myself on a dedicated player but these are not Cheap

or bluray / universal player + break out box into a DSD Dac

Some disc players still have S/PDIF digital outputs, but SACD-licensing rules forbid any unencrypted digital output from DSD tracks, even if internally converted to PCM  (Digital BreakOut Box) extracts DSD from an HDMI input and outputs DoP (DSD-over-PCM) via either of its two S/PDIF connectors: one RCA and one TosLink. It can also extract and output stereo PCM signals.

GeerFab Audio D.BOB digital breakout box | Stereophile.com

Edited by triumph

Looking on eBay used playstation 3's  are around £50 if you wanted a inexpensive way to scratch the itch.

If you want some future proofing/repairability then an Esoteric or a dCS with an Esoteric mech would be a good bet.  They will also have decent built-in DACs, and some have digital inputs as well.

• Upvote 1