Buying cheap used CD from outside the UK

bencat

Not too sure if this is the best place to put this but seems to fit so here goes. Over the years I have bought a number of cheap used CD's from either Amazon Market , E-Bay and on occasion Discogs  and also some US sites . In the past anything from EU was fine and rest of the world provided it was under £15 then it was considered a personal import so no additions to pay.

Of course now things have changed and everywhere is the Rest of the World . According to all the sources I can red from (Parcel Carriers , UK Gov , HMC) the personal value allowance has been scrapped for everywhere . Now all things that are ordered even second hand are subject to UK Vat and over £135 UK Duty as well . Also many of the Parcel Carriers / Shipping companies (including Royal Mail / Parcel Force) are going to charge a clearance fee (from £8-25 depending on carrier) to do nothing but deliver the item.

Now this has made me revise and narrow the places I will buy from but over the last couple of weeks without thinking I have bought CD's from Momox in Germany and a company in Switzerland . Both CD's were less than £2 and had £1.26 postage added . I had visions of getting demands for large payments in comparison to the items in which case i was not going to pay and return them call it quits , no way was i going to pay more for VAT and Clearance than i paid for the item . However to my surprise both CD's were delivered by normal post with no requests for additional payment . They both had Customs Declarations on the front detailing the contents and value but no additional payments or clearance seemed to be asked for .

Has anyone else ordered low value items like this and had the same experience ? I am not sure if this is just a temporary amnesty because of all the extra work collecting these small amounts would entail or if this will continue and provided things are under a certain value they will be ignored provided they have the declaration attached . Tried the HMC help lines but they were just confused and seemed to think I had cheated the system with false declarations but a quick exchnage with scans of the envelopes and the original order showed that they were done legally and correctly . The HMC view was that there should have been VAT collected of 0.03p per CD but I suspect that not many companies will be prepared to do this .

Has anyone any clues as to what will happen going forward or is it just too early ? In my view the sensible approach would be to set as they did for the Rest of The World in the past a low value level at either £15 but better at £25 at which there is no VAT applied and consider it a personal import as before . At least then I can carry on buying things like the CD's .

9 hours ago, bencat said:

The HMC view was that there should have been VAT collected of 0.03p per CD but I suspect that not many companies will be prepared to do this .

Assuming you/they really meant 0.03p, how could this be claimed? Rounding to the nearest penny would be required I'd have thought, which here would be zero?

1 hour ago, Bolosun said:

I just got the Yello Blueray from France that cost £25. No duty's or charges added to it.

Is that the live in Berlin Blu ray? Just seems expensive, if it is. 

Ebay adds the VAT on to the purchase price - look at the item cost breakdown

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

Is that maybe just for new items?

Ah, maybe. The CD I bought was new.

5 hours ago, MartinC said:

Is that maybe just for new items?

No, everything above €22 euro. 

Come july it will charge vat,  duties etc, on everything, this is the grace period.

Edited by meridian man

A quick Google when this thread started suggested VAT on second hand items should just be on the profit rather than the full sale price but I'm not sure how eBay are supposed to know that?

Edited by MartinC

3 hours ago, meridian man said:

No, everything above €22 euro. 

Come july it will charge vat,  duties etc, on everything, this is the grace period.

I thought VAT was on everything and inc. shipping? The £15 allowance has been scrapped?

i avoided buying from Switzerland in case I got stung for custom fees.

I did get one cd from Amazon Eu, which charged VAT but nothing else. It was £10 which was the cheapest price I could find but shipping was over £4, so I did the 1 month prime offer which meant it was free.

I’m  sure shipping from Europe was not that high before, think it was £1.26 so looks like Amazon have stuck it up.

Edited by StingRay